HiRez Poll Soft Cell - NON-STOP EROTIC CABARET [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Soft Cell - NON-STOP EROTIC CABARET

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
This thread is making me think maybe there should be two polls for each release - one for what it sounds like on legacy setups and one for what it sounds like the way it was meant to be listened to. Rating an Atmos mix played in 4.0 seems like a strange way to evaluate said mix.
Another separate poll for those of us who find center/sub channels redundant, and are fine with 4.0.4?

Ha, Ha, i'll go for that
This mix is a 10 on my setup. I have the vinyl from back in the day, but I really didn't listen to it all that much, but I listened to the stereo mix in anticipation of this release, and it came off as pretty simple, and I wasn't sure there was enough elements for a great mix. I was wrong! This is now in my top 10 of the year, with less than a month remaining. More 80s electronic please!.

Well, this is a huge disappointment it seems to be just stereo. I have to admit that my system is still only 5.1 but it's always done a good job with other Atmos mixes.
I've always liked the album, but this release does it no justice. 4 from me, my lowest ever score.
Interesting, I had exactly the same issue. I think this is the first disc I've bought that only has an Atmos mix and no separate dedicated 5.1 mix.

I have a Cambridge Azur 551R amp and a Cambridge Azur BD650 Blu-ray and also a Panasonic Blu-ray. Both are connected to the 551R via HDMI but the 650BD is also connected via it's separate analogue outs. Both the Cambridge amp and Blu-ray were released at around the same time and before Atmos was a thing, but looking at the front panels and the specs both should decode the same things including Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. When using the analogue outs of the BD650 I would have assumed the player would decode it the same as the amp would, which it normally does on other discs, but it seems not!

I happened to put the disc in the BD650 and was using the analogue direct in and like you it seemed to be in stereo, much to my disappointment! I put my ear next to the surrounds to check and there was some audio present, albeit at a very low level. Anyway, after popping on to QQ to see what's occurring I switched over to HDMI and all is well with the world. A bit odd as both units claim to decode the same things so I would have expected it to work, but something to consider for the future. I've never owned the album before, but very familiar with all of the singles, sounds great when it works!

Interesting, I had exactly the same issue. I think this is the first disc I've bought that only has an Atmos mix and no separate dedicated 5.1 mix.
I happened to put the disc in the BD650 and was using the analogue direct in and like you it seemed to be in stereo, much to my disappointment! I put my ear next to the surrounds to check and there was some audio present, albeit at a very low level. Anyway, after popping on to QQ to see what's occurring I switched over to HDMI and all is well with the world. A bit odd as both units claim to decode the same things so I would have expected it to work, but something to consider for the future. I've never owned the album before, but very familiar with all of the singles, sounds great when it works!
Yes, It seems you are getting the same results as me. So, this release does have problems, it's not just me! A friend on Facebook reports that he only gets digital noise when he tries to play the Atmos track on his 5.1 system.

not releasing a proper 5.1 mix along with the Atmos is doing the album an injustice,

Misery, complaints, self-pity, injustice! Misery, complaints, self-pity, injustice!

Seriously, though, while the Atmos mix sounds really good on my 5.1 system, a separate 5.1 track would've been awesome. Oh well :) It still manages to.... entertain me.

Last edited:

I have a Cambridge Azur 551R amp and a Cambridge Azur BD650 Blu-ray and also a Panasonic Blu-ray. Both are connected to the 551R via HDMI but the 650BD is also connected via it's separate analogue outs. Both the Cambridge amp and Blu-ray were released at around the same time and before Atmos was a thing, but looking at the front panels and the specs both should decode the same things including Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. When using the analogue outs of the BD650 I would have assumed the player would decode it the same as the amp would, which it normally does on other discs, but it seems not!

The last Rolling Stones in Atmos doesn't have a separate 5.1 either.

Not a go to band for me, and the mix was underwhelming to my tastes, for the most part. This leaves me figuring I'd probably be money ahead had I listened to my first gut instinct to pass on this one.

But who couldn't enjoy "Tainted Love" that came through the crazy 80"s?

Not a go to band for me, and the mix was underwhelming to my tastes, for the most part. This leaves me figuring I'd probably be money ahead had I listened to my first gut instinct to pass on this one.

But who couldn't enjoy "Tainted Love" that came through the crazy 80"s?
The silver lining is most of these discs seem to have pretty good resale value.

You can always just consider it an investment. :hi

That was only on the 12" single mix. But yes...disappointing it wasn't included here as a bonus track. It's an 80's classic
I'm almost glad it's not on there because my entire body would have exploded from overwhelmitude.

I do appreciate that the contemporary non-album singles were included, though not the standalone version of "Where Did Our Love Go?" Anyone else notice that the booklet includes the songwriting credits for that song, yet the song isn't on the disc? Or did I overlook it somehow?

Anyway, a personal all-time favorite album and one I never imagined would get this treatmen!

Is it possible that SDE couldn't get the rights to include "Where Did Our Love Go?"

Anyway, I'm not complaining. I love this album and I'm grateful there's a multichannel release of it now.

Is it possible that SDE couldn't get the rights to include "Where Did Our Love Go?"

Anyway, I'm not complaining. I love this album and I'm grateful there's a multichannel release of it now.
Anything’s possible in this business but not sure why they would have the rights. It was included it as a B-side in earlier releases. They didn’t include any B-sides here but did include some non-album A-sides.

Last edited:
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-Ray audio edition of the classic album "Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret" by Soft Cell.
This Blu-Ray Audio edition is exclusive to the SDE shop (thanks @PaulatSDE) and features a Dolby Atmos Mix of the original album, plus an instrumental Dolby Atmos Mix too!

(y) :) (n)

softcell_sticker_466_1024x1024.jpg
Right, I should listen to this now! Been piling up, you know. Thoughts soon.

Yes, It seems you are getting the same results as me. So, this release does have problems, it's not just me! A friend on Facebook reports that he only gets digital noise when he tries to play the Atmos track on his 5.1 system.

I'm not so sure the release does have problems to be fair. I don't really know too much about Atmos backwards compatibility, but having had a closer look online it seems that anything that can decode Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD should play back Atmos stuff ok. I was just a bit surprised that the BD650 couldn't decode it, but the 551R could as they were released around the same time by the same company and reading the specs they share pretty much the same decoding abilities, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD are fully supported on both units. Maybe there's a setting I've overlooked on the Blu-ray player but everything looked to be in order. Like I said, once I switched to HDMI the 551R decoded it just fine and it sounds great to my ears!

None of my stuff can decode Atmos specifically as it just pre-dates the format, so I would prefer a dedicated 5.1 mix as I don't really have plans to upgrade to Atmos anytime soon, although I'd love to! Also, aren't some Atmos mixes presented in a lower sample / bit rate? Maybe that's a good reason to have a dedicated 5.1 mix at 96k 24Bit? It would be good if one of the Atmos guru's on here could chip in and confirm as I'm no expert on the matter!

Anything’s possible in this business but not sure why they would have the rights. It was included it as a B-side in earlier releases. They didn’t include any B-sides here but did include some non-album A-sides.
Maybe they didn't have the multi-tracks for that one?

Back