Deluxe Edition of "Imagine" Coming Soon! (Remixed 5.1 and Remastered Quad audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing this news wasn't supposed to be published until tomorrow or next week, cause lots of posters link to this exact news from certain sites on SHTV, but when you follow the links, they are not there.
Glad @LennonCobain got the news in text form on here for us all to read!

Meanwhile, while we wait for the official announcement and pre-orders to drop, here's the pre-order for the Blu-Ray of the "Imagine" and "Gimme Some Truth" films: https://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Gimme-Some-Truth-Lennon/dp/B07G2RMQBB/

Since the box set is guaranteed to be an expensive endeavor, I imagine (pardon the pun) many of you will easily spring for the Blu-Ray of the two films. Here's the description:

Eagle Rock are delighted to announce the release of two films by John and Yoko, Imagine and Gimme Some Truth. Both films, which focus on the Imagine era, have been hand restored frame-by-frame from the original film reels into HD, and their soundtracks have been remixed in glorious 5.1 surround sound, and remastered. Includes exclusive, never-before-seen bonus content on DVD and blu-ray. This is the first time both films have been commercially available at the same time.

:)

On October 5, Geffen/UMe will release “John Lennon: Imagine: The Ultimate Box Set,” just ahead of what would have been the late musician’s 78th birthday on October 9. The remixed and remastered six-disc/140-track collection is fully authorized by Yoko Ono Lennon who oversaw the production and creative direction.

Spread across four CDs and two Blu-ray discs, this expanded edition of what many feel is the former Beatle’s best solo album includes new “Ultimate Mixes” of the iconic album — which, according to the announcement, reveal “whole new levels of sonic depth, definition and clarity to these timeless songs” — as well as unadorned Raw Studio Mixes, 5.1 surround sound mixes, and for the first time in nearly 50 years, a “Quadrasonic Album Mix,” presenting the original four-speaker “quadrophonic” mix in a format that was briefly popular with audiophiles in the 1970s. The set also includes rare outtakes, isolated track elements and “The Evolution Documentary,” a track-by-track audio montage that details the journey of each song from demo to master recording via instructions, rehearsals, recordings, multitrack exploration and studio chatter.

The title track’s universally appealing lyrics were inspired by Yoko’s “event scores” in her 1964 book Grapefruit, and she was officially co-credited as a writer on the track in June 2017.

In addition to the album reissue, the film’s “Imagine” and “Gimme Some Truth” will be re-released in October in remastered HD with new, unreleased content and Thames & Hudson are publishing the book “Imagine John Yoko” on October 9. Compiled and curated by Ono recaps the making of the legendary album: the locations, the creative team, the artworks, and the films, in the words of John & Yoko and other participants.

Earlier this week it was announced that Lennon and Ono’s film “Imagine” — essentially home movies made around the time of the album’s sessions, and not to be confused with the 1988 Lennon documentary of the same name — will return to theaters next month with bonus footage.

Wow this year started off slow, but daaaaaaaaaaayummmmmm - this might be one of the best ever. With The White Album, Big Pink and Animals still coming up.

Sound expensive but .... I have bought expensive a couple of times this year Roxy Music being worst value for surround money.

I'm guessing here...but I would "imagine"....Roxy will look like a bargain compared to this set...I can't stand anything related to Yoko..Koo Koo...so I would have to hold my nose on that part...but the new fangled "quad ro SONIC" version might be interesting....like Quad Linda always says..."drop your wad on Quad"...even if it's the "sonic" version:ROFLMAO:...geeze why can't people get that right...don't they know about hooked on phonics...it's not hooked on sonics...how hard is it to say quadraphonic...lets repeat...quad ra phonic...not quad ro sonic..okay...anyway...if this deluxe version is just 4 CDs and 2 blu rays it shouldn't cost that much...but it probably willo_O

I'm guessing here...but I would "imagine"....Roxy will look like a bargain compared to this set...I can't stand anything related to Yoko..Koo Koo...so I would have to hold my nose on that part...but the new fangled "quad ro SONIC" version might be interesting....like Quad Linda always says..."drop your wad on Quad"...even if it's the "sonic" version:ROFLMAO:...geeze why can't people get that right...don't they know about hooked on phonics...it's not hooked on sonics...how hard is it to say quadraphonic...lets repeat...quad ra phonic...not quad ro sonic..okay...anyway...if this deluxe version is just 4 CDs and 2 blu rays it shouldn't cost that much...but it probably willo_O

I'm really on the fence about this one. I just shelled out for the Universal Stereo BD~A of Imagine which is nothing to write home about and do I really need all those outtakes, etc? IMO, Nay!

If anything, another 'potential' Amazon Warehouse 'deal' down the road. They're still occasionally blowing out Pepper!

Which 'potentially" poses the Question to Yoko: How Do YOU Sleep?

but the new fangled "quad ro SONIC" version might be interesting...

That isn't a typo you know...back in the '70s, labels such as Apple and UA marketed their quad product as "Quadrasonic".

There was never an industry standard name (to add the the confusion of course)- Columbia used "Quadraphonic", Warner and RCA used "Quadradisc", Marantz called their line of quad equipment "Quadradial", etc.

Not sure if I'll spring for this unless the new 5.1 is really really good. I've always thought the old quad was pretty much a throwaway.

For me Clint , doesn't matter what it's spelled or termed as as long as it's QUAD .
I believe the original quad mix was indicated as "Quadrasonic " , as per the green slip cover of the Q8 . This was early in the quad release years so the term we know of and prefer was still being debated .
FWIW , all United Artists Q8'S had "Quadrasonic " indicated on their Q8'S as well.
Anyways looking forward to this release , and any more from the Lennon camp. :》

For me Clint , doesn't matter what it's spelled or termed as as long as it's QUAD .
I believe the original quad mix was indicated as "Quadrasonic " , as per the green slip cover of the Q8 . This was early in the quad release years so the term we know of and prefer was still being debated .
FWIW , all United Artists Q8'S had "Quadrasonic " indicated on their Q8'S as well.
Anyways looking forward to this release , and any more from the Lennon camp. :》

Do you have any quad examples of this title....do you think it's a poor mix?

From the QQ Beatles Page:

QQ-Imagine1.jpg

Do you have any quad examples of this title....do you think it's a poor mix?

Most people believe it's a poor quad mix and there are tracks in the majority that are . And there are a couple that sound like they were recorded on a cheap cassette deck . For me it is what it is and I like it , and have heard worse . I am a Lennon fan and prefer his albums and Harrison's work over McCartney's pop "poppy " albums , btw.
The title track is not bad in my opinion , and the end bit of "Oh Yoko " spins in a circular arrangement .
Musically this is still one of Lennon's most iconic albums .

Back