Denon X4300H: 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 (newbie)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James_in_VA

Thanks in advance for your patience! 😀

ME: On a budget, moderately handy; little experience (low-to-mid 5.1 setup 2010-2015), hobbyist musician, OK ears.
STATUS: nothing set up; used equipment in boxes acquired from Craigslist over 3 years.
EQUIPMENT: Denon X4300H 9.2 (11.2 preout); Oppo BDP-103; Xbox Series X (UHD player) matched 7.0 Polk speakers circa 2010 (front mains have powered subs); Cambridge Soundworks P500 sub; 2 x MartinLogan Motion 2i for heights (can get another 2 cheap).
ROOM: 18' x 10' x 8' basement space (1 open wall, screen on 10' wall), prefer to not cut up ceiling, longitudinal ceiling beams allow for installing multiple heights at 8' width).

INTENTIONS: 40/40/20 movies, surround music, gaming; growing library of surround music (some Atmos) and movies (some Atmos).

QUESTIONS:
1. 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 for initial set-up?
2. Thoughts on ML 2i heights (angled down from sides)?
3. Suggested wire (inexpensive)?
4. Possible Monoprice Monolith subs (1-2 years down)?
5. Possible separate amp for heights (2-3 years down)?

Again, thanks for your patience. All input welcome!

Thanks in advance for your patience! 😀

ME: On a budget, moderately handy; little experience (low-to-mid 5.1 setup 2010-2015), hobbyist musician, OK ears.
STATUS: nothing set up; used equipment in boxes acquired from Craigslist over 3 years.
EQUIPMENT: Denon X4300H 9.2 (11.2 preout); Oppo BDP-103; Xbox Series X (UHD player) matched 7.0 Polk speakers circa 2010 (front mains have powered subs); Cambridge Soundworks P500 sub; 2 x MartinLogan Motion 2i for heights (can get another 2 cheap).
ROOM: 18' x 10' x 8' basement space (1 open wall, screen on 10' wall), prefer to not cut up ceiling, longitudinal ceiling beams allow for installing multiple heights at 8' width).

INTENTIONS: 40/40/20 movies, surround music, gaming; growing library of surround music (some Atmos) and movies (some Atmos).

QUESTIONS:
1. 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 for initial set-up?
2. Thoughts on ML 2i heights (angled down from sides)?
3. Suggested wire (inexpensive)?
4. Possible Monoprice Monolith subs (1-2 years down)?
5. Possible separate amp for heights (2-3 years down)?

Again, thanks for your patience. All input welcome!
I would go for 5.1.4 as I think 4 heights are essential for a good immersive soundfield. Then you can add an amp for the SB later on. That's the way I went as I upgraded to where I am now with a 7.4.4. I have a AVC 3800.

What are the model numbers of the Polk speakers? The sensitivity level of the ML 2is is a bit below average, but even if you went with four of them, you might not need a separate amp to power them. If you could possibly mount them on the beams instead of the sides, you might get better results. Generally speaking, most people prefer 5.1.4 to 7.1.2. Monoprice often has decent prices on speaker wire, sometimes even better deals on Amazon. Monoprice has a wide range of subs with generally good reviews.

Having lived with a 5.2.2 for a while before upgrading recently in one room, I think I agree with @perzon57 on a 5.1.4. Even with a full 7.2.4 now, if I had to cut something for some reason, I’d probably want to keep the 4 heights instead of the two backs. For me, though, it’s all about the music. TV and gaming aren’t as important to me and maybe that is an important consideration.

I’ve been happy with Amazon Basics 16 gauge wire. 100 feet for about 16 bucks.

And I’m in love with Sewell’s banana plugs! Worth the initial setup time.

I feel barely qualified to give the answers above... I won’t even attempt to tackle the rest.

Good luck!

Back