Deutsche Grammophon and quadraphonics

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracower

Hello everybody!

I've found something like that in the net, which was written by one guy on German analog-forum.de :
"Hingegen habe ich mal Gelegenheit gehabt, Ausschnitte einer Oper von der DGG (Freischütz) von Quadro-Testaufnahmen zu hören."
Which means, that he had a possibility to listen highlights from Weber's opera "Der Freischütz", which were made by DGG as test quadraphonic recording. But I couldn't find anything more about it.

I've read thet thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?10253-Dutch-demo-and-German-test-pressings , but in fact there's no more information about it here. Just an information, that those experimental recordings existed...
My question is - do you know anything about Deutsche Grammophon's experiments with quad? Or maybe you know something more about that recording of "Freischutz" (great opera, IMHO!)? And (although it's rather a dream) - would it be possible to get a copy from somewhere..?

Greets!

I have since years copies of few labels from those CD-4 test pressing of Deutsche Grammophon and Philips (Polygram). They must have made in the 70's a lot of CD-4 tests and atempts. So one can read the following informations: Tape 15, Record VIII. So there are also the numbers below and probable any more ore above. Besides parts of the "Feischütz" there was produced also parts of "Lehar- die lustige Wittwe", "Bizet - Carmen", "Bernstein - West Side Story", "Holst - The Planets", "Ravel - Bolero", "Tschaikowsky - Ouvertüre 1812". Philips has produced for theire Test records "Rqvel - Dapgnis et Cloe", "Strawinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps", Mozart - Coronation - Mass" etc. Some of the Philpis quadraphonic classical productions was released at first of some SA-CD's of the label Pentatone as "Remastered Quadro Recording" around 2002.

Titles like Paul Mauriat, Chaquito, and others could be a well work for Rhino's handmade action. And don't forget the any Q8's of James Last - only produced in Canada and the 7 CD-4 records from Polydor Japan. But official they reported, that they have hade never an interess for quadraphonic productions. They have really taken us quadraphonic fans for a ride. If the Blu ray may hopefull an succes also for audio productions it may be possible, that those early unreleased quadraphonic productions may come to our ears.

Dietrich

Wow, that's interesting, thank you! So you say you own some of them? Which ones, and how do they sound?
Titles you've written look really great, that would be great to hear them - why not on SACD? DGG made a couple of surround mixes from 1970s tapes (Beethoven's 9th or Mozart's Requiem with Karajan, Beethoven's 5th and 7th with Kleiber...), so..? And you mentioned "Lustige Witwe" - wouldn't it be that recording, now released by Esoteric on (stereo... ;( ) SACD for quite 'special' price? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Franz-Lehar-Die-lustige-Witwe-The-Merry-Widow-SACD-/200496255863
And of course I know about Pentatone releases, they're mainly from Philips.

For me the problem is, that I haven't got CD-4 hardware, so even if I had possibility to bought those items analog, it wouldn't be useful.

Chris

I have only a few copies of the labels, not the records. So it is not possible to make rerecordings. Let's have hope, that the Blu Ray is starting in near future also as audio record in multichannel (surround).

Dietrich

Back