Digital System Wars

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryW

Being a happy owner of both a dvd-a and sacd player, I certainly don't want to start anything but I just read some interesting articles at IAR (International Audio/video Review) at www.iar-80.com called Digital System Wars I, II, and III. I found them very interesting and would like to hear some feedback from well-informed individuals, preferably those who can keep their emotional responses to the articles in check. Again not trying to start up anything here, but I know that these articles should be of interest to fellow members.

www.iar-80.com
Interesting read but I wouldn't take it as gospel , till I see another source , not conected to this one !
I set the link for quick access for those wishing to read this rather long, and techie review. Well worth the reading time .
0] Rob

Yawn.

These articles have been around for some time now. An interesting diversion, to be sure, but what about the music?

Yes, the same old cloning/wave accuracy stuff.
I agree. The music is what is important and what it ultimately sounds like to you coming out of your speakers. To me a lot of the benefit of the "hi-rez" formats are that they are surround. There are great sounding SACD discs and poor ones. The same with DVD-A. I must admit though that I like (and always have liked) the sound of DVD-A over SACD. However, the SACD of Becks Sea Change is one of the best sounding discs of any piece of music in any format that is currently available. To my ears it is a no-brainer when it comes to DVD-A/SACD vs CD's. The CD's loose badly.

Brian,
Just checked the link you had attached and Beck is now 3rd. 1st, 3rd, sometimes it is just a few votes between.

Yes, I did see that the Beck SACD has moved into the # 3 slot from # 4 yesterday.

As for Dark Side of the Moon, it's been # 1 on the chart for several days now. I have a feeling it will be a hard one to displace from that position.

Back