Dimple Records: Another Chain Bites The Dust

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrocity

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2019/06/18/dimple-records-shutting-down.html

If you're not from the Sacramento area, you probably aren't familiar with Dimple Records, but they've been around since 1974. When Tower went under, Dimple ultimately took over three of their locations, which seemed like a really good omen at the time, but I guess not.

It's interesting that they throw part of the blame on the minimum wage, but don't mention their habit of demanding full price for MP3-sourced bootleg CD-Rs clumsily burned TAO. Maybe that just got left out by the editor.

Whatever the reason, this leaves Sacramento--a major metropolitan area--with no full-size, full-service media stores at all.

This is very sad news indeed.
Went to the Roseville store over lunch and it was pretty crowded due to the start of the liquidation sale. Movies are all 20% off, and CD's 20-40% off.
:cry:

This is very sad news indeed.
Went to the Roseville store over lunch and it was pretty crowded due to the start of the liquidation sale. Movies are all 20% off, and CD's 20-40% off.
:cry:

And they just moved to that store a year or so ago, too! Or at least that's how it feels. The way time flies, maybe it was three years ago.

My Dimple in Citrus Heights used to be Tower records when I moved here 20 years ago. I have purchased many surround discs there over the years. Sad to see them go.

My biggest memory of that store is when it was still a Tower and I bought Prince's "Around the World in a Day" on CD. It was a seriously big deal at the time because it was the first album (or at least the first major one) to get a CD release on the same day as the record and tape.

Maybe my second biggest memory is of finding a Japanese CD of the Smiths' first album there. Didn't realize until just a couple years ago that it's pre-emphasized.

I'm surprised that ANY Record Chains still exist[ed] with the stiffer than stiff competition from the world wide net. My local FYE closed about 8 years ago and in that last two years of its existence, the stock was pitiful and the prices were in no way competitive with even Amazon at the time and anything I wanted would've been a special order with the merchandise priced at LIST......No way, José!

I'm surprised that ANY Record Chains still exist[ed] with the stiffer than stiff competition from the world wide net. My local FYE closed about 8 years ago and in that last two years of its existence, the stock was pitiful and the prices were in no way competitive with even Amazon at the time and anything I wanted would've been a special order with the merchandise priced at LIST......No way, José!

I could be totally wrong (and frequently am), but reading between the lines of the article, I suspect that this may be a case of a family-run business that's made a fortune and now the family is tired of the day to day tedium and just wants out. They mention declining sales but don't give the impression that bankruptcy is imminent or anything like that. Or maybe they think they see the writing on the wall and want out while it's still voluntary. The timing is just weird to me, coming so relatively soon after going through the trouble of taking over the Tower spaces, moving the Roseville store, etc.

Though if it's just burnout and they simply want to enjoy the money, you'd think maybe they'd look for a buyer. I'm probably wrong, but I need someone to blame for the world not working my way!

I could be totally wrong (and frequently am), but reading between the lines of the article, I suspect that this may be a case of a family-run business that's made a fortune and now the family is tired of the day to day tedium and just wants out. They mention declining sales but don't give the impression that bankruptcy is imminent or anything like that. Or maybe they think they see the writing on the wall and want out while it's still voluntary. The timing is just weird to me, coming so relatively soon after going through the trouble of taking over the Tower spaces, moving the Roseville store, etc.

Though if it's just burnout and they simply want to enjoy the money, you'd think maybe they'd look for a buyer. I'm probably wrong, but I need someone to blame for the world not working my way!

Ironically, according to a QQ Poster [LUTE] who lives in Tokyo, the TOWER Records in that locale are thriving and are even reissuing Classical and JAZZ Stereo SACDs licensed from the majors.

Glad to hear, at least, that DIMPLE Records hasn't declared bankruptcy but you're probably correct in assuming that running a modern Record Store which includes Video on a day to day basis is a hassle and in no way could their inventory and even prices compete with an Amazon or ebay. Better to get out while the time is ripe .... and for them, the time IS apparently RIPE!

I used to go there frequently to all of the Dimple stores years ago after Tower shut down, mostly for used CDs. Probably haven't been to a Dimple in years, as I've been buying mostly online i.e. eBay, discogs, Amazon or direct from producers. Yes, the market has changed- online shopping is just too convenient!
I recall many years ago, Tower had me (as a regular customer) come down to their main web development offices to sit with a web developer and observe how easily I could discover and navigate their web site. It was a little clunky at first but not bad. The problem was they miscalculated as to the importance of online sales and never got the online business to a point that would have made a difference. On-line download or music services is the future, and I don't believe there is any going back.

I used to go there frequently to all of the Dimple stores years ago after Tower shut down, mostly for used CDs. Probably haven't been to a Dimple in years, as I've been buying mostly online i.e. eBay, discogs, Amazon or direct from producers. Yes, the market has changed- online shopping is just too convenient!
I recall many years ago, Tower had me (as a regular customer) come down to their main web development offices to sit with a web developer and observe how easily I could discover and navigate their web site. It was a little clunky at first but not bad. The problem was they miscalculated as to the importance of online sales and never got the online business to a point that would have made a difference. On-line download or music services is the future, and I don't believe there is any going back.

Perhaps the adorable 'dimpled' Pupster 🐶 should become the US rep for Aussie Chucky's Surround Master. From your description ..... how could I not invest in one? I could be your first customer, JP!

I used to work at that Sunrise Blvd location when it was still Tower in the 90s. Good times! Sorry to see Dimples go, but I’m amazed they hung around this long.

Those Tower stores in Japan were sold off with the rights to use the name there long ago when Tower was still trying to stay afloat.

For anyone that hasn’t seen it, Colin Hanks’ documentary about Tower, “All Things Must Pass” is a must for anyone with fond memories of the chain.

I used to work at that Sunrise Blvd location when it was still Tower in the 90s. Good times! Sorry to see Dimples go, but I’m amazed they hung around this long.

Those Tower stores in Japan were sold off with the rights to use the name there long ago when Tower was still trying to stay afloat.

For anyone that hasn’t seen it, Colin Hanks’ documentary about Tower, “All Things Must Pass” is a must for anyone with fond memories of the chain.
Heck keywhiz we probably bumped into each other; I bought lots of music from that Sunrise store also, maybe some of my first CDs 💿 :unsure:

Heck keywhiz we probably bumped into each other; I bought lots of music from that Sunrise store also, maybe some of my first CDs 💿 :unsure:

Yeah, I'm the one who did stupid pet tricks in the store's lounge area

See the source image

🎼 RED, RED WINE 🎼

Last edited:
Even though I’ve come to terms with the demise of record stores; doesn’t mean they weren’t special to me. Some of my most cherished times were going to the Watt Ave. Tower on Saturday mornings, digging through isle after isle of music until I found 8-10 treasures and then headed next door to Sam’s Hof Brau for some of the best Pastrami ever (free pickles) & tater salad (been there since ‘59 and still there!) Hell, I even remember Prince visiting the original Tower on Broadway and having lunch across the street at the Tower Cafe; the Towers were legendary. Those are great memories, but they’re not coming back. It won’t be too long before you’ll be getting your music delivered by drone, George Jetson style.

I guess Portland is lucky. We have Music Millennium, Everyday Music (two in Portland) and a few other record stores. There's even an FYE still at Vancouver Mall (!!)

Even though I’ve come to terms with the demise of record stores; doesn’t mean they weren’t special to me. Some of my most cherished times were going to the Watt Ave. Tower on Saturday mornings, digging through isle after isle of music until I found 8-10 treasures and then headed next door to Sam’s Hof Brau for some of the best Pastrami ever (free pickles) & tater salad (been there since ‘59 and still there!) Hell, I even remember Prince visiting the original Tower on Broadway and having lunch across the street at the Tower Cafe; the Towers were legendary. Those are great memories, but they’re not coming back. It won’t be too long before you’ll be getting your music delivered by drone, George Jetson style.
Sam’s Hof Brau pastrami!! Yes!!

For the record though, the Broadway store was not the original Tower Records. Russ started out selling records out of his dad’s Tower Drug store across the street but the first actual Tower Records store was the one on Watt. The Broadway store was 2nd

But seeing Prince anywhere would have been AMAZING!!

Sam’s Hof Brau pastrami!! Yes!!

For the record though, the Broadway store was not the original Tower Records. Russ started out selling records out of his dad’s Tower Drug store across the street but the first actual Tower Records store was the one on Watt. The Broadway store was 2nd

But seeing Prince anywhere would have been AMAZING!!

Yup, you're right of course about the locations. This discussion just brings up so many great memories of those times. One thing I wish I'd gotten a hold of were those great looking Tower calendars (the long ones), remember those?

Back