Dio "Holy Diver" Atmos Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X4800H. It was announced a few weeks ago as Coming Soon. Before that I was going to get the X4700H, but since this will be a Christmas gift from my wife to me (although she doesn’t know she’s getting this for me yet), I figured I could wait for the new model.

I bookmarked a page for that model on the Denon site and even downloaded the manual. But this week the page went dead. It’s still available on the Denon UK site, but not U.S. And it’s not listed with all the other Denon receivers currently available. Best Buy still has a page for it, but it’s not available for sale yet.

I’m guessing it’s a temporary issue and will pop back up soon.

Even more interested in getting it now to hook up height speakers and give Holy Diver another try, along with a load of other stuff that will hopefully sound even better than it does now with my current system.

Back to the album itself... others in this thread have mentioned the recent bookset for Holy Diver. I passed because I was happy with what I already had. But if an Atmos version had been included, it would have been an easy buy. A classic album. And the bookset format looks really nice on the shelf.
I have a 3700 now and have ordered a 3800 to get connections for 4 subs and Auro 3D. Supposed to be in stock the 17th. of November.

I gave it a listen over the weekend and agree with @sjcorne that it is more than an upmix.
There is some activity in the sides. Nothing to write home about but it isn't bad - just not very immersive or discrete.

I do think that it sounds pretty good cranked up a bit.

Seeing this thread pop up again reminded me to give this one another listen. (Apple Music) I had speculated that because, at the time, I didn’t have height speakers, perhaps I wasn’t getting the full effect.

@mrcond confirmed the “hell” vocal effect in Don’t Talk To Strangers wasn’t there even with height speakers, so that was basically settled. But I still wanted to hear it on my system. And yeah... not there. The vocal treatment that should startle you a bit in surround is gone.

The chopped guitar solo in Stand Up And Shout I talked about is still chopped, too. Caught in the Middle seems a bit out-of-sync with some quiet vocals in the heights.

Such a major album in Dio’s career and a landmark metal album in general. It deserves better.

Back