Dire Straits Japanese SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is

Wow, thank you for that!

Wikipedia says 'North American copies of the album on 8-track tape format contain extended versions of "Miss You" and "Beast of Burden" and edited versions of the songs "Far Away Eyes", "Shattered" and "Imagination" (aka "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)").' I never had the slightest idea!

Hmm, interesting that you mention that. I never heard or read a word of negative feedback about the audio, everybody seemed to be crazy about how it sounds. But perhaps I overlooked / ignored the negative reviews? My personal impression is, it's very good. On reflection, the band does feel a bit removed from the listener, like there's some space between you and them, but it's not detrimental to the experience.

The audience and music are very clearly separated and well-balanced in my opinion and neither really overpowers the other. It was mixed by the same chap who did Brothers in Arms and he took care to place instruments in the rears, giving you a nice immersive experience.

On a personal note... The quiet parts in "Love over Gold" and "Telegraph Road" are among the best live moments in my music collection, especially because of the audience reactions. The 5.1 mix augments that experience very well.

Regarding the video... Yeah, let's not talk about that.

I never watch the BluRay anyway. I'm in for the music, so just listen to the FLACs I ripped from it :)

your description is excellent! definitely quite decent sound and i don't feel music is 'buried'... the video is fun to glance at every now and then...yeah PQ is atrocious...but i too wanted it for the music

Dire Straits (I) is the only one I've bought on Japan SHM-SACD. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I've owned it on LP, German CD and this SACD. Head and shoulders, the SACD blows the CD away. It was one of the first CD's I bought in '82.

I would also be curious to read people's comments on the later albums on Japan SHM-SACD, especially Communique and Making Movies.

i have self titled and Communique...imo they are both equal in terms of audio quality...which i think is excellent! clean..not compressed..very much like my memory of the vinyl albums. haven't compared my old CDs...

I wanted to revisit this thread now that I have acquired and just finished listening to the Alchemy Live Dire Straits blu ray concert...as was mentioned the video is bad...I knew that going in...and the surround is what I have come to expect from most live concerts...it's not comparable to dedicated studio hi rez surround discs...I'd call it stereo plus...most of the time you get "bleed over" music from the fronts and crowd sounds in the surrounds...but that's ok...but to clear up one misconception...the vocals are not buried by the crowd...never happens...and the crowd certainly doesn't bury any of the music either...although it doesn't equal the audio quality of the Dire Straits hi rez discs...like the self titled SHM-SACD I have or the surround Brothers In Arms SACD...it's still good...and in one area it is much better...in the actual performance...it's HIGH ENERGY..I have never heard a better version of Sultans Of Swing...the extended guitar versions are stunning!...that's the element a live performance sometimes brings to the table..that FIST of energy generated by the atmosphere of the crowd..

My thanks to The Bright Side for the disc recommendation..and I forgot corneredcat also had this disc..I always respect her input on discs and music in general...

This just showed up in the mail Saturday...

Attachments

• shm_sacd_making_movies.jpg
    shm_sacd_making_movies.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 124
Back