Dire Straits Japanese SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Does anyone have any of the Japanese Dire Straits SACDs? I am curious to know how they sound. Alchemy and Making Movies in particular.

Also, when I'm looking at cover scans of the Alchemy SACD on eBay, it looks like it only lists 10 tracks (I can't read Japanese!) So I am assuming that means it is the same track listing as the vinyl and not the CD.....in other words, does the SACD include "Love Over Gold"?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any of the Japanese Dire Straits SACDs? I am curious to know how they sound. Alchemy and Making Movies in particular.

Also, when I'm looking at cover scans of the Alchemy SACD on eBay, it looks like it only lists 10 tracks (I can't read Japanese!) So I am assuming that means it is the same track listing as the vinyl and not the CD.....in other words, does the SACD include "Love Over Gold"?

Thanks!

It only contains 10 songs and Love Over Gold is not on it...CHECK IT OUT HERE...just scroll down

Dire Straits (I) is the only one I've bought on Japan SHM-SACD. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I've owned it on LP, German CD and this SACD. Head and shoulders, the SACD blows the CD away. It was one of the first CD's I bought in '82.

I would also be curious to read people's comments on the later albums on Japan SHM-SACD, especially Communique and Making Movies.

Dire Straits (I) is the only one I've bought on Japan SHM-SACD. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I've owned it on LP, German CD and this SACD. Head and shoulders, the SACD blows the CD away. It was one of the first CD's I bought in '82.

I would also be curious to read people's comments on the later albums on Japan SHM-SACD, especially Communique and Making Movies.

Thanks, I may consider that one too.

The self titled 1st album is the only one I've heard, and it sounds fantastic to me too!

The only one I currently have is Brothers In Arms on both SHM SACD and platinum CD and highly recommend it. It has the shorter versions of some songs too, like on the original LP (apparently) ... I never had the LP.

The only one I currently have is Brothers In Arms on both SHM SACD and platinum CD and highly recommend it. It has the shorter versions of some songs too, like on the original LP (apparently) ... I never had the LP.

Wow, that is interesting. Given that Alchemy is lacking "Love Over Gold" and that Brothers in Arms has the shorter versions of some songs, does that means that they used LP master tapes for these releases? I know that record companies would sometimes prepare one master for vinyl editions and a different master for CD.

Brothers in Arms was released at a time when the LP & cassette versions of new albums would hit the stores first and you would have to wait a while until the CD became available. I bought several albums on vinyl around that time while I waited for the CD to be released. I had pretty fully digested Brothers in Arms on vinyl by the time the CD arrived. I was blown away that four songs were significantly longer on the CD. "So Far Away" & "Money For Nothing" had longer fade outs. "Your Latest Trick" had an introduction that was missing from the LP. "Why Worry" had the most significant difference as it was three minutes longer on CD.

Oh....and another thing I remember about Brothers in Arms that I found amusing was that the CD & cassette came with a "warning" that they contained longer versions of four songs than the LP counterpart. There was no warning on the vinyl. I found it funny because I would have rather been warned about getting shorter versions that long ones!
:music

As for Alchemy... Perhaps skip the SACD and get the Blu-Ray? Unless you prefer stereo or specifically want it for the Japanese packaging, I would reckon the 5.1 mix on the BR will give you a superior experience. (note that I can't say for sure, though. Perhaps the SACD really does sound even better than the Blu-Ray).

As for Alchemy... Perhaps skip the SACD and get the Blu-Ray? Unless you prefer stereo or specifically want it for the Japanese packaging, I would reckon the 5.1 mix on the BR will give you a superior experience. (note that I can't say for sure, though. Perhaps the SACD really does sound even better than the Blu-Ray).

So when you are talking about the blu ray you don't mean blu ray audio...you mean this one I assume...I've heard mixed reviews of the audio quality...some feel the music is buried in crowd noise...one thing is pretty universal... the video is weak...

Oh....and another thing I remember about Brothers in Arms that I found amusing was that the CD & cassette came with a "warning" that they contained longer versions of four songs than the LP counterpart. There was no warning on the vinyl. I found it funny because I would have rather been warned about getting shorter versions that long ones!:music

This could be an whole thread in itself: "Albums with different versions on different formats". Of course, someone could probably put that into better English.

I always think of the Talking Heads' "Speaking in Tounges"...several of the songs on the cassette were longer (and better!) than on the vinyl. Weirdly, when it was first issued on CD, the shorter album versions were used. I actually returned the disc to Tower over that...of course, now I wish I had it for the collector value since that oversight was corrected long ago.

I think they did the same thing with "Stop Making Sense". And Byrne did it solo years earlier with "The Catherine Wheel".

This could be an whole thread in itself: "Albums with different versions on different formats".

Yes, you certainly could devote a whole thread to that topic, and it wouldn't be limited to just the CD era. Classics like Pink Floyd's "Pigs on the Wing" and The Rolling Stones' "Beast of Burden" had alternate versions of the songs on their original 8-track tapes! Not to mention some similar quad moments like the alternate performance of "Wind Up" on the quad issue of Jethro Tull's Aqualung.

What variant of The Catherine Wheel is there? My copy is 69:09 (which from a little research I did seems to be the same as the cassette).

This could be an whole thread in itself: "Albums with different versions on different formats". Of course, someone could probably put that into better English.

I always think of the Talking Heads' "Speaking in Tounges"...several of the songs on the cassette were longer (and better!) than on the vinyl. Weirdly, when it was first issued on CD, the shorter album versions were used. I actually returned the disc to Tower over that...of course, now I wish I had it for the collector value since that oversight was corrected long ago.

I think they did the same thing with "Stop Making Sense". And Byrne did it solo years earlier with "The Catherine Wheel".

So when you are talking about the blu ray you don't mean blu ray audio...you mean this one I assume...I've heard mixed reviews of the audio quality...some feel the music is buried in crowd noise...one thing is pretty universal... the video is weak...

Hmm, interesting that you mention that. I never heard or read a word of negative feedback about the audio, everybody seemed to be crazy about how it sounds. But perhaps I overlooked / ignored the negative reviews? My personal impression is, it's very good. On reflection, the band does feel a bit removed from the listener, like there's some space between you and them, but it's not detrimental to the experience.

The audience and music are very clearly separated and well-balanced in my opinion and neither really overpowers the other. It was mixed by the same chap who did Brothers in Arms and he took care to place instruments in the rears, giving you a nice immersive experience.

On a personal note... The quiet parts in "Love over Gold" and "Telegraph Road" are among the best live moments in my music collection, especially because of the audience reactions. The 5.1 mix augments that experience very well.

Regarding the video... Yeah, let's not talk about that.

I never watch the BluRay anyway. I'm in for the music, so just listen to the FLACs I ripped from it :)

Hmm, interesting that you mention that. I never heard or read a word of negative feedback about the audio, everybody seemed to be crazy about how it sounds. But perhaps I overlooked / ignored the negative reviews? My personal impression is, it's very good. On reflection, the band does feel a bit removed from the listener, like there's some space between you and them, but it's not detrimental to the experience.

The audience and music are very clearly separated and well-balanced in my opinion and neither really overpowers the other. It was mixed by the same chap who did Brothers in Arms and he took care to place instruments in the rears, giving you a nice immersive experience.

On a personal note... The quiet parts in "Love over Gold" and "Telegraph Road" are among the best live moments in my music collection, especially because of the audience reactions. The 5.1 mix augments that experience very well.

Regarding the video... Yeah, let's not talk about that.

I never watch the BluRay anyway. I'm in for the music, so just listen to the FLACs I ripped from it :)

Thanks for details...I really appreciate it!

What variant of The Catherine Wheel is there? My copy is 69:09 (which from a little research I did seems to be the same as the cassette).

When it was first released, vinyl was king and it was put out as a single album. The cassette was much longer and, fortunately, that's the version that got used when the CD was issued.

Back