DirecTV sucks??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
You know, I just cannot get used to the Guide for DirecTV. To me, it simply sucks bigtime. I mean, why do they not have a simple filter, where I can only see the channels I actually get, and in HD only? Why is that not a simple drop down choice? Jesus.......

Or...do they? Anyone?

I think that they want you to see the listings for channels that you don't get so that you see what you are missing, hoping that you'll subscribe to them as well. I hate that with digital cable too, you should be able to customize the guide, or at least the channels that you don't get should be greyed out!

You know, I just cannot get used to the Guide for DirecTV. To me, it simply sucks bigtime. I mean, why do they not have a simple filter, where I can only see the channels I actually get, and in HD only? Why is that not a simple drop down choice? Jesus.......

Or...do they? Anyone?
They don't have a "favorites" filter?

Snood dropped DirectTV after some 20 years.........pulled the plug so to speak and went with Hulu & Sling Blue (Sling for AMC and NFL Redzone) big savings and never missed Directv

During football season my bill on Directv was 245.00 a month - non football months 165

Currently am on YOUTUBE TV and dropped HULU & SLING - only 55 bux a month (total with tax included and all) and love it comes with unlimited DVR - do not miss Directv at all - never have to worry about weather affecting reception. Like Both Hulu and SLing, but Youtube had AMC and liking it more than Hulu and Sling - only prob no History Channel - oh wellz :LB

If ya got a good internet connection - all of them have free trials to check out.

Oh on You tube TV you can custom your channels - in whatever order you want or delete channels you will never watch. So 165 a month compared to 55 = 110 bux a month savings aaaaaaaaaand means more money for box sets :giggle:

they suck rhino balls. finally got rid of them, now am on 'youtube tv,' much improvement

Did they make you jump thru any hoops to cancel - return equipment etc? Seems nobody on the phone knew the right procedure? :confused: Finally got something in the mail with the equipment they wanted back and to take it to a FedEX store, glad I did not listen to the people on the phone or the ATT forums. They were nah your equipment is too old, they do not want those models back or even we will send you a box to send everything back.

I had to talk to about 3 or 4 people to cancel - wanted me to postpone or just put the account on hold - they did not want to delete my account at all. Was warned about what might happen so was ready with the right answers. :LB

Yeah YOUTUBE TV rox - read my post above if you haven't already. Only complaints no History Channel or NFL/RedZONE - will have to reup for 35-40 bux a month come next football season for Sling Blue if they do not add by then, but no biggy 55+40 = 95 and is still better 245 Directv :LB but for the next 8 months 55 is better than 165 Directv :SG

Last edited:
Did they make you jump thru any hoops to cancel - return equipment etc? Seems nobody on the phone knew the right procedure? :confused: Finally got something in the mail with the equipment they wanted back and to take it to a FedEX store, glad I did not listen to the people on the phone or the ATT forums. They were nah your equipment is too old, they do not want those models back or even we will send you a box to send everything back.

I had to talk to about 3 or 4 people to cancel - wanted me to postpone or just put the account on hold - they did not want to delete my account at all. Was warned about what might happen so was ready with the right answers. :LB

Yeah YOUTUBE TV rox - read my post above if you haven't already. Only complaints no History Channel or NFL/RedZONE - will have to reup for 35-40 bux a month come next football season for Sling Blue if they do not add by then, but no biggy 55+40 = 95 and is still better 245 Directv :LB but for the next 8 months 55 is better than 165 Directv :SG
I cancelled my DirecTV subscription about 3 years ago. When I did they asked for a card from the DVR back immediately and said they would be in touch about what to do with the old equipment. I waited. Got nothing.

Upon contacting them again, I was told that the equipment was too old and they did not want it back. I had 4 TVs connected. It was a huge box of equipment. In the part of New York State I live in, you cant just toss out electronics anymore, and in fact, you can be fined if you do (maybe the whole state is that way now, not sure). Old electronics have to go to an electronics recycle center, which is a major pain in the a$$ for me.

I told them I had no good way to dispose of old electronics and requested that I be given mailers to ship the stuff back to them. They refused, saying that since they no longer needed them, their the disposal is my responsibility.

I never dealt with them again.

We pulled the plug a couple of years ago and now just have Blue Ridge cable with Netflix. I don't care much about the football beyond whatever games are on the regular channels for background noise....but, what does Utube TV do for EPL soccer coverage? I'd drop the useless cable channels for better soccer, and some rugby, which some cable network occasionally shows but of course....it's in another extra cost package.

Snood dropped DirectTV after some 20 years.........pulled the plug so to speak and went with Hulu & Sling Blue (Sling for AMC and NFL Redzone) big savings and never missed Directv

During football season my bill on Directv was 245.00 a month - non football months 165

Currently am on YOUTUBE TV and dropped HULU & SLING - only 55 bux a month (total with tax included and all) and love it comes with unlimited DVR - do not miss Directv at all - never have to worry about weather affecting reception. Like Both Hulu and SLing, but Youtube had AMC and liking it more than Hulu and Sling - only prob no History Channel - oh wellz :LB

If ya got a good internet connection - all of them have free trials to check out.

Oh on You tube TV you can custom your channels - in whatever order you want or delete channels you will never watch. So 165 a month compared to 55 = 110 bux a month savings aaaaaaaaaand means more money for box sets :giggle:
No History channel. Bummer. That means no Oak Island for you.

Or...do they? Anyone?
Press the "INFO" button on the remote control.
Move the cursor to "Favorites."
Select "Channels I Get."

I was with them for two years. At the end of my contract I wanted to upgrade the boxes. They sent me the new ones but they were missing a feature that I loved from the old ones. So THE NEXT DAY I got a return auth. They took them back without issue. About ten months later I was solicited by a door to door salesman for one of the cable companies who made me a really great offer. So I canceled the DirectTV. A couple weeks later I get a bill in the mail for an early termination fee.

I call them and tell them that there must be some mistake. They tell me that when I got the upgraded box that automatically gave me another two year commitment. I tell them that I returned the box the next day and that in the state of PA there is a three day buyers remorse law and they can't hold that against me legally. The agent on the phone told me that he is from PA and knows that to be correct but he can't do anything about it. I was told to contact my state attorney general and that the bills would continue to be sent.

The bills were still sent for years afterwards. Of course I never paid one. Outrageous, isn't it?

All of these large cable companies are in real trouble now. They have to face stiff competition from the steaming services. I looked around for a better service and they either have deceptive promotional deals or worse.
One of the companies wouldn't even give me a quote unless I provided a social security number.

Yeah, thanks. I knew about that too. But, half of the damn channels are non HD, so I don't want to clog up my guide with those.
So once you have the "Channels I Get" selected, you want to "Hide SD duplicates."
Press the MENU button on the remote control.
On the left hand side scroll down to "Settings" and Select it.
On the top row of choices scroll over to "Display" and Select it.
On the left side of the screen you will see "Preferences."
Underline "Preferences" and arrow over to the center of the screen.
Arrow down to "Guide Channels" and Select "Hide SD Duplicates."
Then your guide will only show the HD channels and the few SD channels that don't come in HD. Of the 853 channels available to me, I have about a dozen SD channels on the guide.

So once you have the "Channels I Get" selected, you want to "Hide SD duplicates."
Press the MENU button on the remote control.
On the left hand side scroll down to "Settings" and Select it.
On the top row of choices scroll over to "Display" and Select it.
On the left side of the screen you will see "Preferences."
Underline "Preferences" and arrow over to the center of the screen.
Arrow down to "Guide Channels" and Select "Hide SD Duplicates."
Then your guide will only show the HD channels and the few SD channels that don't come in HD. Of the 853 channels available to me, I have about a dozen SD channels on the guide.
OK, so that seems to mostly work. Still, now, in the guide, I still see a couple dozen that are not in bold white font, sort of non bold and gray. I click on those, and it says I don't get those. Why are they showing up in my menu? Even after choosing channels I get?

Back