Disappointing DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I recently purchased Lynyrd Skynrd:Now and Then. I'm not a huge Skynrd fan, but I do like some of their music and was looking forward to hearing it in quad. I should point out that I am only able to listen to the alternate surround tracks (can't recall if it's dolby digital or dts on this one) since I don't have a dvd-a player.
I was disappointed in the song selection and the quad mix. Much of it was taken from a live album. So, most of the big hits were live versions rather than the studio versions. The quad effect was primarily a bit of echo in the rear channels.
I'm wondering if the reason so many of the cuts were newer Skynrd releases and live versions of classic tunes was because of a licensing issue?
I would have much preferred hearing the studio versions.
I would not recommend this release.

Welcome to the world of Silverline/Sanctuary. Anyone who truly appreciates great quad and surround-sound recordings should stay as far away from the Silverline/Sanctuary catalog as possible. Every last title that has been released by them has been a steaming turd.

And I can only assume playback via dvd-a would not add any additional "quadness" to these Silverline/Sanctuary releases?

Nope. The surround mix you get in DD or DTS is identical to the MLP (DVD-A) mix. Same turd, just more chunky bits (i.e. better resolution).

Nope. The surround mix you get in DD or DTS is identical to the MLP (DVD-A) mix. Same turd, just more chunky bits (i.e. better resolution). :rollin: -:rollin: -:rollin: -:rollin:
SO! -more chunks:rollin: - Cai ! I still haven't stopped laughing I haven't laughed so hard in so long , I'll have to check for chunks and wet spots -:rollin:

Cai, I have no problem with you posting your views on the subject at hand, and as it happens, I agree with you. I do however have a problem with your language and terminology on this forum. This is a public forum and as such, it is read by many individuals outside the membership here. As an Adminstrator and Moderator you might want to keep in mind the image you're presenting to the outside world. As of now, this topic is closed. If you have a problem with this, you have my email.

mike

Mike,

I appreciate your sensitivity to scatological references but I think you are really overreacting. Also, I do not appreciate your attempt to "close the topic" after giving me a public reprimand, essentially disallowing me the courtesy of an explanation. Luckily, I am an administrator here so I was able to reopen this public forum. I would be interested in what others might have to say on the topic, so I would hope we would keep the topic open in the spirit of what this is: a PUBLIC FORUM.

In any event, I don't want to make a big deal out of all this, but the whole turd thing relates to a very common axiom in the audio remastering arena, worded thusly: "You can't polish a turd". This essentially means that if the source material is garbage, no matter what you do with it, you're going to end up with garbage. The context of my turd comment wasn't exactly in this vein, but it was close enough that I found it relevant and (if I do say so myself) incredibly funny!

As for the potential audience of this material, um, gee, I don't really know how to respond to that. Is it our civic duty as surround-sound aficionados to protect the internet community from being exposed to such gawd-awful words, as, um, uh TURD!? Perhaps you're worried about me offending the sensibilities of, um, say SILVERLINE/SANCTUARY? You know what? I hope they do read my comments because I speak the truth. I tell it like it is and I'm not about to pull any punches, ESPECIALLY when it comes to something as innocuous as the word TURD! If you want to play the censorship card, save it for something meaningful, for chrissakes!

Okay, now I'm getting a little riled up... time to calm down...

Mike, the bottom line is, there were many other much more graceful and respectful ways that you could have handled your personal revulsion to my comment than what you did. You shouldn't let such trivial personal considerations decide how you choose to administer this public forum.

Respectfully,
Cai

Hey Y'all:
I am a broadcast engineer. Yesterday I witnessed the saying of a "B" word, meaning a female dog, on the air, during a time when little preschool children would have been able to watch. There was a time when I would have pulled the show off the air, but it will only result in loss of my job if I did it now. Still, if you rely on "Montel" to be the standard bearer, you can slide pretty low. There is a need to keep it clean. However, an embarrassing public admonishment I do not believe is the right way to go. A simple removal of the offending material and a quick private note to the offender will suffice. That way we can keep the bovine product down to a minimum and not offend anyone. We have all skirted the limits of decency at one time or another, and it is sometimes difficult to tell what will offend someone, and what y'all are used to. The standards are so low these days. So, y'all keep it clean, and this can be done by the skillful use of language (and still convey the idea). And for god's sake, be careful about what you quote from Zappa's "Dinah Moe Humm"!

The Quadfather

P.S. Whadda ya mean "cooties", no cooties on me!

Jeesh...We're all adults here. Lighten up. I laughed out loud at that. When did we start using the word "turd?" 3rd grade??? So is poopie better? Turds! Double turds!!! Triple turds!!! I'm swearin' now! SPAULDING!!! (Note the Caddyshack reference) Interesting note....A local plumber here....Joe Trdy. It's prounounced just that way...

I'm Sorry Mike,but I'm afraid I have to agree with Cai, and sent him a note informining him of such . I also feel my reply was possibley more offensive, And I do appoligize to anyone who may have been offended by it. I don't feel you went about it the right way either. We're all adults so lets just drop it and get on with it and be friends here!

I'd like to thank Cai for pointing out that this DVD-A and the Silverline/Sanctuary DVD-A's in general are of "dog-waste-product" nature so that I don't end up buying one of these titles and finding out for myself!

If a title blows, I think we should all have the right to point it out. That's why we are here afterall!

As a matter of fact, I was about to buy this title last week, but somebody from here talked about how much better Foreigner 4 was than the first Foreigner...so I went with that. Just got it today and damn was he ever correct! The surround effects in Juke Box Hero make this one worth it alone! Let's see, who was it that pointed this out here??? Oh yeah, it was Cai! Thanks again!

Chris

Hi , Chris ! I have both of the discs and Foriengner 4 is the better of the 2, but don't think you shouldn't buy the other it's not a bad , bad disc. It's still better than the stereo cd, the mix could have been more aggresive!

Hey all, thanks for the support, I really appreciate it! It is all of us who make up this board and I think it is clear what we've come to expect from this place. I think by sticking with a more open-minded, welcoming tone, we will attract more participants, not scare them away. Mike, if you're reading this, no hard feelings. Let's just get on with business, okay?

I agree with Bob. The Foreigner disc is very good, just not as discrete or "open sounding" as 4. In fact, you may prefer Foreigner in hi-rez stereo, which certainly blows away the redbook CD and makes it worth owning for that fact. The surround mix really leaves me wanting but is entertaining, nonetheless. Anyway, if you're going to buy one or the other, I do recommend 4.

Actually, the first Foreigner DVD-A was one of the first two I purchased (along with Metallica). I do think it's of good quality....I didn't mean to imply it wasn't worthwhile. The point about Cai's recommendation was that if he had not said what he did, I may have assumed Foreigner 4 was pretty much the same and passed on it for now. When Cai pointed out it was better, I had to find out for myself.

I also picked up Bach Organ Works and Dishwalla Opaline based on others suggestions. The Opaline isn't the best DVD-A I've heard hi-rez wise, but it's excellent music! That's the beautiful thing about this new DVD-A kick of mine....the lack of titles is actually opening me up to artists I'd otherwise not consider.....just to have some content! Of course, I'd take more content glady!

Man would I love to get DVD-A's of AC/DC, Def Leppard and Pink Floyd!

Chris

FLOYD ! FLOYD! I too Want my DVD-A FLOYD! Colombia / Sony it more than likley will be if ever on SACD! - I'd rather see it on DVD-A for sure... You get more for your money!:cool:

GEEZ! I go away for a few days and look what happens!! Comon guys, let's all lighten up here. I was just thinking the other day how well this board was going, and that it was so much more usable than the old. Esp in terms of catagories and keeping threads contiguous. We should use this space for good info, not bad.

"waste" not, want not!! :D

:-jon

Jon, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying we shouldn't say anything negative about DVD-A's here....positive comments only? I certainly hope that's not the case. To me there is no such thing as bad info, unless somebody is purposely misleading in their praise/criticism.

Chris

NO! Say what the heck you want.

I would only hope that we don't become one of those boards where members don't get along.

Negative is good! I want to know when something sucks so I don't run out and buy it, esp if it is a major artist like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Although I would prefer not to see REAL questionable language here, I personally don't feel that "turd" is that bad.

Sometimes, a turd is a turd!

:-jon

Geez,
I didn't mean to start a major first amendment argument when I posted a negative review about Lynyrd.
This forum has always seemed pretty high brow and very well behaved to me.
I have to say that if the t-word is considered offensive, you should stay away from some of the other public forums and newsgroups. I like all types of obsolete audio technology, so I sometimes drop by the 8-track newsgroup. A couple of those folks are brutal! God forbid you post anything in that group that isn't agreed with by some members. You'll receive a public reaming that may very well include all seven of broadcasting's forbidden words.
Believe me, things are very tame here.
So, I appreciate that this is a very polite forum, but I really don't think too many people would be offended by a skatological reference this tame.

Back