Disappointing DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 most disappointing DVDA's are the first Foreigner album (though Starrider sounds fine) and the Carly Simon "No Secrets" title.
The Carly Simon disc has a wacky Surround mix (vocals come from the rear!?)

Have both Foreigner discs. Like both but actually listen to 1 more often. Mix not aggressive enough? Can you tell me specifically why? I'm usually the first to criticize a mix for being too conservative.

Never had the stereo mix for anything but the two big hits, but two tracks really stand out as excellent mixes: Star Rider and Fool For You Anyway. The latter is probably my favorite track: can't imagine it in flat stereo without those engulfing background vocals (and don't really want to).

It occurs to me that it's probably easier to find what you like about a surround mix when you're not familiar with the original (stereo). Otherwise, you end up with "The Missing Tile Syndrome" -- the phenomenon wherein you notice only the one missing tile instead of the other two hundred perfectly-placed ones. A constant source of frustration is surround mixes that seem unbalanced compared to the stereo ("Dreams" from Rumours is a notable example -- backing vocals are too loud and out of balance). Why do remix engineers have to try to fix what ain't broke? I keep wondering if they even do A-B comparisons with the originals. In "Feels Like the First Time", the main rhythm guitar has its level inexplicably lowered during the chorus.

"Cold as Ice" is one track where I might agree the mix is too tame -- I would have had much more going on during the call-and-answer vocal break.

I also like Fool For You Anyway! As for the Rumours album , I like the whole thing the way it is! It's better than the stereo any day! Just my thoughts!
Rob

The issue of the first Foreigner album on DVD-A is not that it's not aggressive. As far as surround-sound goes, it is rather aggressive and all-encompassing. My complaint is that it is not very discrete. A lot of the time, it sounds more like "dual stereo" than true, discrete surround-sound.

Back