Discrete Quad + 1 Overhead Speaker

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I haven't located the article, but, IIRC, an article during the Quad era mentioned placing a speaker on the ceiling (centered between LF, RF, LB, RB) and playing the sum of LF+RF+LB+RB.

Anyone tried this (I'm not sure it would work well playing the sum of LF'+RF'+LB'+RB' [matrix decode], there would likely be some cancellation)?

Kirk Bayne

I might be able to simulate this by playing a quad upmixed to 5.1.5 with Auromatic. I suppose I could turn off the ceiling Speakers and only leave the Top Center speaker playing. ???

I haven't located the article, but, IIRC, an article during the Quad era mentioned placing a speaker on the ceiling (centered between LF, RF, LB, RB) and playing the sum of LF+RF+LB+RB.

Anyone tried this (I'm not sure it would work well playing the sum of LF'+RF'+LB'+RB' [matrix decode], there would likely be some cancellation)?

Kirk Bayne
I've occasionally thought about the idea of adding the centre speaker of a 5.1 system in that way. šŸ™ƒI do like the effect of fully centered vocals but as I've mentioned elsewhere I don't think that top mounted speakers sound the best. Also it wouldn't be compatible with the original intent of the mix.:rolleyes:

Back