Dolby 5.1 Vs. DTS 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snip///

For some reason everyone is acting like throwing a bluray drive into the computer is some big deal. Even though we all had to upgrade DVD drives a couple times along the way just the same. Weird.
Not me. I've worn out 3 so far!
I used to burn backups of everything. But HDD storage is easier and cheaper, decent blu ray blanks are expensive and the quality seems to get worse instead of better.
But anyway I take your point.

Not me. I've worn out 3 so far!
I used to burn backups of everything. But HDD storage is easier and cheaper, decent blu ray blanks are expensive and the quality seems to get worse instead of better.
But anyway I take your point.

What have you seen get worse?

I've still got part of the last batch of Verbatim discs I bought. I archive studio projects on bluray. Two copies for most things. Those were still the highest rated last I checked. There are always one or two experimental offerings out there claiming 2000 years life or some such. Then next time you look it's a different one. And they have their prices goosed up to $20 a disc or something absurd like that. (Smells of the back pages of some of those "audiophile" magazines.)

I just really don't know what to think anymore, honestly!

Keeping active hard drives in service and a backup practice is solid in the short term. And that's something that was absolutely impossible for analog audio. Generational copies was the only option. So this is great but it's still short term. That's how I keep my music collection at present.

Put a HDD on the shelf for a few years.
Those bearings/mechanicals going to still work? Many don't.
How about an SSD?
Those are supposed to need to be powered up at least here and there so the flash chips don't fade which I'm told is a thing.
So this is really short term stuff.

What have you seen get worse?

I've still got part of the last batch of Verbatim discs I bought. I archive studio projects on bluray. Two copies for most things. Those were still the highest rated last I checked. There are always one or two experimental offerings out there claiming 2000 years life or some such. Then next time you look it's a different one. And they have their prices goosed up to $20 a disc or something absurd like that. (Smells of the back pages of some of those "audiophile" magazines.)

I just really don't know what to think anymore, honestly!

Keeping active hard drives in service and a backup practice is solid in the short term. And that's something that was absolutely impossible for analog audio. Generational copies was the only option. So this is great but it's still short term. That's how I keep my music collection at present.

Put a HDD on the shelf for a few years.
Those bearings/mechanicals going to still work? Many don't.
How about an SSD?
Those are supposed to need to be powered up at least here and there so the flash chips don't fade which I'm told is a thing.
So this is really short term stuff.
Whoah. Something else to worry about. I have enough problems with HDD's as it is, so much in recent years that I've moved to NAS drives.
It's hard to say with discs/burners, but I've seen a 100% burn rate with Verbatim DL Blu ray discs decrease over the last few years. When you consider what they cost, any loss is significant, or at least to this old retiree.
Honestly for me-and this is with 2 identical but separate burners- I get the same coaster rate with Verbatim as with PlexDisc. Regardless of brand I buy the inkjet printable versions.
LG actually suggests Panasonic brand over Verbatim but they are even pricier now, or were last time I looked a few months ago.

There is one Verbatim disc, I can not recall the part number now, that I've never had a coaster with, and they are generally sold as 1-3 disc sets, Not inkjet printable though, and I have not bought and burned a huge number of them.

I have M-Disc capable drives but can't justify the cost for the blank discs, if that is what you were talking about that are supposed to last so long...

I'm running about 50GB of HDD on my main pc, enough for rips + backups on separate drives of my SACD/DVD/DVDA/DTS-CD's, with copies of a lot on drives sitting on the shelf, but I don 't have enough for backups of all my Blu ray discs.
Guess I'm going to have to start putting the shelved drives back in service periodically and hope for the best. If I have occasion to talk to SeaGate again I'll ask them about failure rates of drives not in service. You would think that being sealed with an inert gas would prevent problems but what do I know? These drive manufacturers are more tight lipped than the Pentagon. Just like the many many models of drives these companies have, they don't really tell you what the difference is.

Back