Doug Ingle of Iron Butterfly Dead at 78

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, NO! Saw them perform In~A~Gadda~Da~Vida live while I was stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas in the early 70's!

A Memorable performance.

RIP DOUG!

R.dfc1eae8071a9d98c54c8acaac80bbb4

We had so much great music growing up and in our early adulthoods, it’s to be expected that we would be losing a lot of our icons by now. That doesn’t make any of it easier.

Thanks for some absolutely amazing music, Doug, and I’m pretty sure you won’t be letting your old bandmates rest in peace.

“If there’s a rock and roll heaven, you know they got a hell of a band.”

We had so much great music growing up and in our early adulthoods, it’s to be expected that we would be losing a lot of our icons by now. That doesn’t make any of it easier.

Thanks for some absolutely amazing music, Doug, and I’m pretty sure you won’t be letting your old bandmates rest in peace.

“If there’s a rock and roll heaven, you know they got a hell of a band.”
I knew that we all grow old and eventually kick off. I am ok knowing that. But what I didn’t know is how special the musical era was and I thought we would see that same quality of recorded music just go on and on forever. In 1981 and 82 I still felt reassured that the 80’s were going to be just like the 70’s. And there are some great records after ‘82, but that era was definitely coming to an end.

So the death of the classic rock era did arrive, and now the death of all of the contributors is here as well.

All we can do is be glad we were there , saw and heard it first hand and it was not the reunion tour either.

The next five years are going to be rough, just like this past year was.

I am a huge fan, and talked with him quite a few times back in the late 80's. I kept encouraging him to put out some new music as I missed his voice after Metamorphosis. He and his wife had me over to their house and played me an entire demo cassette of Carefeather album that he and his son had worked on. He told me he appreciated me being a constant encouragement to bring out new music, but it never saw the light of day. The last few years I tried to get in touch with him, but to no avail. Maybe he had been sick for a while? A really great guy, and I've missed him for a while. Sorry we lost touch. I hope his son Doug Jr. pushes to finish those demos. Such a loss.

I recall seeing the Iron Butterfly song "Soul Experience" on the jukebox at Pizza Hut in 1969. Might have been very early 1970. But it was quite early on in my rock music addiction, and I was noting every song seen or heard and where I saw it.

Back