DTS-CD Dumb .dts file question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Is a .dts file the same as a wav file that comes out of SurCodeDTS or any other DTS encoded file.

For example, if I encode 6 mono files to DTS, and the result is Result.wav, do I just rename that file to Result.dts and I'm done?

If it's for a DTS-CD I just leave the file as "Result.wav" and burn as an audio CD with no time between songs (set to 0).

Thanks guys. What I was interested in is when I demux a file from a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, I end up with a .dts file that can be converted to wav with transcode.

The next logical step is to take the 6 mono wav files from Q4's I've recorded, encode them with SurCode or DTS Software (24/96), then remux them back to a Blu-Ray disc, creating a long playing, Blu-Ray audio only HiRez disc.

I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm on a mission! :D

Strictly speaking a .dts file (i.e., demuxed from a music dvd or from other) and a "dts wav" file (i.e., a wav file ripped from a dts cd) are different - a wav file is a "container" file that can contain a dts stream (and have information about the included stream in a wav header), while a .dts file is just dts without any wav header information etc... There used to be a couple of tools floating around the net for converting between the two; dts2wav.exe and wav2dts.exe , these can convert a file between the two. You achive the same result (conversion) Jon when you use transcode for the conversion.

Good luck with your mission! :)

A DTS cd is 44.1khz/16 bit lossy encoding that has the extension of .wav (you can rename these xxx.dts for playback with Foobar) and is only (that I know of) found on CD media.

A DVD DTS track is 48 or 96 khz and (up to ?) 24 bit and lossy. It has the extansion .dts and is used on DVD media (won't work on a CDr)

I don't know much about DTS-MA except that it is a lossless encoding. If you want a Hi-Rez disc this is the only lossless DTS that I know of.

A DTS cd is 44.1khz/16 bit lossy encoding that has the extension of .wav (you can rename these xxx.dts for playback with Foobar) and is only (that I know of) found on CD media.

A DVD DTS track is 48 or 96 khz and (up to ?) 24 bit and lossy. It has the extansion .dts and is used on DVD media (won't work on a CDr)

Ok, i get the difference between DTS-CD and DTS on DVD. My question is how one goes about taking 96/24 or 48/24 .dts files ripped from a DVD and putting them on a DVD-R for use on a DVD player. Do they have to be re-muxed into .vob files and authored as a DVD, or is there a simpler way? I only care about the audio and I want to make a disc playable on my DVD car stereo with DTS decoding. Thanks in advance!

<snip>.

You can rename a dtswav file to be .dts for playback in Foobar since that is able to read and decode the dts stream from a dtswav, but keep in mind that renaming might not be good practice for any sharing situations since .dts and dtswav files are actually different (see my previous post). The renaming could mess up those who use different Direct Show filters for the decoding.

For example I'm one of those who uses JRiver's Media Center for music (great program for massive collections). It doesn't have a native DTS decoder but can use Direct Show filters for the decoding. If I playback a dtswav file using the filter that I use for .dts files (by renaming the file) the file will playback too fast (it will play at 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz).

Ok, i get the difference between DTS-CD and DTS on DVD. My question is how one goes about taking 96/24 or 48/24 .dts files ripped from a DVD and putting them on a DVD-R for use on a DVD player. Do they have to be re-muxed into .vob files and authored as a DVD, or is there a simpler way? I only care about the audio and I want to make a disc playable on my DVD car stereo with DTS decoding. Thanks in advance!

To my knowledge the .dts files would have to be authored to a DVD to use them. If you have a DVD-A player in the car then you could separate the .dts file into 6 mono .wav files and author a DVD-A. I think this would be easier, but I don't have any recent experience with either option. Someone who knows the latest software will have a better idea.

Good question. Shouldn't one be able to use the ripped .dts file from a DVD and use the file "as is" with a DVD authoring program to create a new DVD?

I seem to remember trying that several years ago, to make a mixed disc. But I couldn't find an application that could handle the .dts files. These days it might be very easy, I just don't know.

Or one could use DVDFab and or ImgBurn to copy a disc for playing in the car so the original rare DVD-V or DVD-A is not ruined in the car. With DVDFab you can also copy just the DTS / DD DVD-V part of a DVD-A (even on Dual Layer DVD-Audio discs) and put it on a single sided DVD disc. If the DVD-A is a single sided disc make an exact copy for archiving purposes as well for playing on non-DVD-A car players. You can then play the Hi-Rez part at home on a Oppo DVD-A player or another DVD player that ignores the watermark. If you've ripped your .dts file from a DL DVD-V disc, then one needs to re-author somehow.

DVD Lab Pro does this - it allows for audio only titles..

fairly easy to use when it's audio only - adding video or images makes it complicated..

DVD Lab Pro does this - it allows for audio only titles..

fairly easy to use when it's audio only - adding video or images makes it complicated..

Ok. Thanks for the tip! I'll give a free trial a go and see what happens. :phones

P.S. And just for the curious what I'm doing... In my car I have a Sony MEX-DV2000 and I am hesitant to bring too many OOP SACDs out on the road. I have the Euro Depeche Mode SACDs but the DTS 96/24 DVDs are all R2 PAL, and there is no deck hack to my knowledge. Anyhow, I'm trying to listen to those DTS tracks in my car, in addition to a few other similar titles.

Ok. Thanks for the tip! I'll give a free trial a go and see what happens. :phones

P.S. And just for the curious what I'm doing... In my car I have a Sony MEX-DV2000 and I am hesitant to bring too many OOP SACDs out on the road. I have the Euro Depeche Mode SACDs but the DTS 96/24 DVDs are all R2 PAL, and there is no deck hack to my knowledge. Anyhow, I'm trying to listen to those DTS tracks in my car, in addition to a few other similar titles.

You can use a program like ConvertXtoDVD - it will convert the PAL dvd over to NTSC - not sure if it will retain the DTS at 24/96 - it *might* reduce the DTS to 24/48 - not sure..

You can indeed copy the DM discs, they are all Dual Layer unless you reauthor & chop out the live tracks (also in 5.1) and the documentary accompaniment on each disc.
You can also google for TranzCode - and it's little friend, TranzGui - which is a DTS>WAV decoder. It's also freeware.
Rip the .dts stream using DVDDecrypter in Stream Processing mode (important) and demux it from the VOB files in IFO mode from DVDDecrypter.
Run the files you get (probably .dts but *might* be .cpt) through Tranzcode and you're done - 6 mono WAV files at 48KHz.
The only way I know of sop far to decode DTS 9624 to PCM is to use the DTS-HD StreamPlayer.

Back