Dutton Epoch Announces 9 Surround Sound SACD Classical Music Releases (Nov 18, 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I know the Bartok is great in terms of surround... any comments on the others?
They're fairly obscure British repertoire, which Dutton has generally focused on in their new recordings. Sullivan is of course best known for his light operas written with W.S. Gilbert, while Haydn Wood is barely remembered at all. I'll wait to hear some reviews.

The Boulez Bartok recordings aren't just great in terms of surround, they're great performances too. Going to order it now, and will get Chase while I'm at it.

Dutton Epoch, Dutton's Classical label has announced 9 Classical Music SACD releases for November 18, 2018.
Check their website for details. Here is the link and cover images.

Dutton Epoch Surround SACDs - Nov 18 2018.jpg

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

Didn't they announce the last six a month or two ago? The top 3 are certainly new.

Yes, looks to me like this is a mix of new titles and some repeats in the announcement dated November 18, 2018.
Good news (new Surround Sound SACDs) plus a reminder (earlier Surround Sound SACD releases) for Classical Music Surround Sound SACD fans! :)

I guess what I don't understand is....don't they usually update their website, so when you enter it, you see the new releases? When I enter the site, I still see the last set from a month or two ago.

I guess what I don't understand is....don't they usually update their website, so when you enter it, you see the new releases? When I enter the site, I still see the last set from a month or two ago.

I'm seeing the new Dutton Epoch Surround Sound Classical SACDs on their home page. Right below the non-Classical SACD releases when you scroll down.
You might try clearing your browser cache or another web browser and see if they are showing then.

Yes, looks to me like this is a mix of new titles and some repeats in the announcement dated November 18, 2018.
Good news (new Surround Sound SACDs) plus a reminder (earlier Surround Sound SACD releases) for Classical Music Surround Sound SACD fans! :)
I included the RVW disc in my order, so no complaints. Also got

Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden & Lynn Anderson's Greatest Hits
Chase - Pure Music & Chase
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
Edward Elgar: Short Orchestral Works

As well as the Boulez Bartok disc. Not sure I'll like the pop stuff, but I'll give it a try. The lady likes country, so I threw Lynn Anderson in.

I'm seeing the new Dutton Epoch Surround Sound Classical SACDs on their home page. Right below the non-Classical SACD releases when you scroll down.
You might try clearing your browser cache or another web browser and see if they are showing then.
I see them, didn't know I had to scroll down. :)

I included the RVW disc in my order, so no complaints. Also got

Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden & Lynn Anderson's Greatest Hits
Chase - Pure Music & Chase
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
Edward Elgar: Short Orchestral Works

As well as the Boulez Bartok disc. Not sure I'll like the pop stuff, but I'll give it a try. The lady likes country, so I threw Lynn Anderson in.
Lynn Anderson sounds just awesome.

Wonder if this will knock the price down for the Columbia SACD.

And it's a twofer, no less!

Actually, more like a 1 1/2 fer

Last edited:
Wonder if this will knock the price down for the Columbia SACD.

And it's a twofer, no less!

Actually, more like a 1 1/2 fer
It's the same exact program as the Sony SACD. I do suspect it will knock prices down of the Sony - I don't think there are many people who prefer the way Sony handled multichannel.

Last edited:
It's the same exact program as the Sony SACD. I do suspect it will knock prices down of the Sony - I don't thing there are many people who prefer the way Sony handled multichannel.

its a 2-fer of two separate CBS Masterworks Quad releases, (Concerto For Orchestra; MQ 32132 & Miraculous Mandarin; MQ 31368) just like the OOP Sony SACD, no?

i'm not hugely mega excited about the release in and of itself, although it brings me mega huge excitement every time any CBS Quad that was only ever on Q8 and/or SQ gets a DV MCh SACD release.. so its what this release represents.. it gives me hope DV might someday similarly revisit other Quads Sony ruined on MCh SACD.. although i would rather DV concentrated their efforts on remastering the swathes of Quads that have never seen release on a modern day format, its still a v.welcome release imho and one i'll be adding to the next DV order if/when they release more of the poppy type stuff that's more in my comfort zone.

its a 2-fer of two separate CBS Masterworks Quad releases, (Concerto For Orchestra; MQ 32132 & Miraculous Mandarin; MQ 31368) just like the OOP Sony SACD, no?

i'm not hugely mega excited about the release in and of itself, although it brings me mega huge excitement every time any CBS Quad that was only ever on Q8 and/or SQ gets a DV MCh SACD release.. so its what this release represents.. it gives me hope DV might someday similarly revisit other Quads Sony ruined on MCh SACD.. although i would rather DV concentrated their efforts on remastering the swathes of Quads that have never seen release on a modern day format, its still a v.welcome release imho and one i'll be adding to the next DV order if/when they release more of the poppy type stuff that's more in my comfort zone.
Correct.

In my view the Sony SACD doesn't count as an issue of the original quad, so it's like it never came out for those who want to hear it. I do generally share the same priorities.

Back