Quantcast

Dutton Epoch June 2020 SACD Surround Sound Classical Releases

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
A rousing performance from the baton of Maestro Leonard Bernstein. As ubertrout suggests ...... robust and full bodied. Recording is superb but not discrete...reminicient of Bernstein's Mahler recordings released as multi~ch SACDs by SONY Japan [ambient rears]

Lord British

And add to those this superbly recorded gem from Reference Recordings:

This is a superb recording, indeed. Playing this at near-reference levels sends vibrations up the spine, although it suffers from some almost sub-sonic LFE "hum" right around the 20hz mark all throughout the recording when played at such levels, even the tracks that don't include the massive organ. :(

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Sometimes in our quest for discrete Classical Music recordings, we overlook some of Dutton Epoch's superb [ambience only] original multichannel SACDs . One such disc, just released this year, is a double bill with Parisian born Anton Simon and French born composer/pianist Cécile Chaminade, who was justly praised by Georges Bizet for her compositional skills.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
At a disc filling 78'36", we not only get the COMPLETE 1910 version of Stravinsky's magnificent FIREBIRD but his RITE of SPRING in superb discrete sonics expertly remastered by the esteemed Michael Dutton. 2 complete albums on 1 disc.

Last edited:

warp2600

Today I received my June 2020 DUTTON order package (The Firebird/Rite of Spring and Also Sprach Zarathustra/Organ Symphony)
First I listened to the stereo programmes. Just as I expected - gorgeous! Both discs.
The quadraphonic mixes have to wait till tomorrow.

Last edited:

mrcond

QQ Supporter
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I just ordered:

Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation
IGOR STRAVINSKY • The Firebird & The Rite of Spring
EUGENE ORMANDY CONDUCTS Also Sprach Zarathustra & SAINT-SAËNS • Symphony No. 3
Pierre Boulez Conducts Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra

Thanks everyone!

national-kid

In Firebird of Boulez, the place where the trumpet of the 11th song flew around was interesting.
I couldn't quite understand it on the SQ 4ch of Mehta's Rite of Spring, but I was able to confirm the front and back battle with SACD multi of Dutton.
Die Tote Stadt of Erich Leinsdorf was also good.

McCrutchy

Just saw these, excellent news!

I'm personally very excited for another full opera release, so Die tote Stadt had to be mine. I have yet to buy La bohème (it was in my cart when I logged in) but as funds are tight, I opted only for the new Korngold release, which is a blind buy for me.

Then, it was a matter of which other title to get for an even number of ordered items, and it was between the Stravinsky and the Ormandy discs. In the end, I chose the Stravinsky, again a blind buy, though of course, I've heard both pieces by others before.

Can't wait to get the discs.
After they shipped on June 30th, I received these two titles today, in perfect condition. Can't wait to give them a listen!