DVD-A in 2004

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
We've all had our share of disappointments and setbacks with DVD-Audio. We think it should be front and center, with releases filling all the racks (and knowledgable clerks to tout their value). Right...

If you stop and think about it, anything they've done with the format so far is a drop in the bucket. We represent a very small consumer base overall.

With that, I give you my feeling that the best is about to happen; the push to mainstream is going to ramp up the first half of this year. More players, titles and mainstream press will kick in and we'll be smiling more.

So, do you think they'll pump a number of 2.0 stereo titles as DVD-A/CD flippers to get things going faster?

I think if they ARE going to do "flippers", then they should be single inventory discs. I know that it will cost more, but sometimes you have to take a loss to get a leap forward. If new releases came out with an "extra side", and "Joe" figures out that he can play the "new" side in his DVD player and hear the album in surround sound (DTS/DD), he might just play it for his friends. Word of mouth moves more product than any ad in a magazine.

Well, maybe they could do single inventory on high profile titles, like SACD did with DSOTM.

We've all had our share of disappointments and setbacks with DVD-Audio. We think it should be front and center, with releases filling all the racks (and knowledgable clerks to tout their value). Right...

On a side note, I was at my local Best Buy today looking over the SACD/DVD-A section. The people at the store have little to no clue about what should go where, and to a point I understand. Now it seems there are quite a few DVD videos in CD jewel cases to add to the mix. All in all the shelves are a mess! Over in the Elton CD section they had a sign for GBYBR Anniversary Edition on sale for 19.99 with not a single GBYBR CD in sight. After checking the code, I saw it was for the SACD, so I did them a favor and put the sign in the right place. I did take notice that they only had two GBYBR's left which made me feel good.

Is there a place where we can find out how the sales of our beloved surround format is doing?

I think the records companies need to really push at retail. Signage, samplers and fully stocked displays would be most helpful. Especially at places that sell universal players like Best Buy etc...

I go into BB week after week and nothing changes... no new titles (even ones that I know are out), no salesperson awareness, nothing. Circuit City is even worse. I am sure this is due to the fact that the normal BB or CC salesperson makes somewhere around minimum wage and couldn't give a rat's ass about anything other than collectiong a paycheck. Borders sells a few titles but they are on the bottom shelf in the DVD section with no signage. I know in the scheme of things that DVD-A and SACD are small potatoes but that's how they will stay unless there is an incentive to push the stuff.

Remember when CDs first came out? I do. And DVDs, too. It takes a long hard slog before the mainstream "gets it". My first CD player cost $700, so did my first DVD player. And it was nearly impossible to find software for either of them at the time.

Good formats will find a market, just not as fast as we would like!

mrindenver said:
Remember when CDs first came out? I do. And DVDs, too. It takes a long hard slog before the mainstream "gets it". My first CD player cost $700, so did my first DVD player. And it was nearly impossible to find software for either of them at the time.

Good formats will find a market, just not as fast as we would like!
My first CD player was $1000!!! Only some stores had the CDs, and they were usually stuck in a little corner in the back, like the old Quad stuff used to be. My wife would say "These are never going to replace records. They are too expensive."

Famous wife quotes, #346 :D

JonUrban said:
My first CD player was $1000!!! Only some stores had the CDs, and they were usually stuck in a little corner in the back, like the old Quad stuff used to be. My wife would say "These are never going to replace records. They are too expensive."

Famous wife quotes, #346 :D

Yep, I have to drive 65 miles to a store that had under a hundred titles! My wife felt the same. Divorced her 17 years ago. New wife is better! As are my DVD-As and my SACDs!

timbre4 said:
So, do you think they'll pump a number of 2.0 stereo titles as DVD-A/CD flippers to get things going faster?

I don't know, but if it does it's fine with - however I just don't understand what we need the cd format for? I mean, look further down the road instead of looking back all the time. Let's move on!

I also have waitet long time for a lot of that music I like on DVD Audio, but I also do understand how complicatet it can be for Warner and others to make a complete album with all extra goodies. As I wrote in another tread - got MO TB2003 yesterday, and I have been waiting for a long time on this - now I got and I don't care know - I FINALLY GOT IT! :banana:

*offtopic*
I don't think we will continue to see DVD players (stand alone) be everywere; DVD Recorder will taker over soon and why not?

When HD-DVD arrive (with MLP as a standard) that is going to be incredible what we will get in DVD Audio

Take care

Back