DVD-A Question- Queen Night At the Opera

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I just purchased a copy of Queen's Night At the Opera in DVD-audio format. I'm a bit confused. I only have a dts decoder. I don't have the capability of playing back 6 channel dvd-a recordings. In previous dvd-a purchases, I've only been able to enjoy the alternate dts soundtrack. While the Queen dvd-a contains the dvd-a logo as well as the dts logo, the only printed literature on the insert talks specifically about the dts sound. I believe this title is actually a dts entertainment release. As far as I can tell, this dvd-a does not have the typical dvd-a soundtrack that is fed directly through six outputs. Am I correct in this assumption, or is the dvd-a soundtrack just not talked about on the disc literature?
If this is a "dts only" recording, why put it on a dvd-a at all? The only thing I can see that is gained is that I get the music video of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Mine played back in the 6 Ch Input mode on my DENON, so I assume that it was DVD-A tracks. On the whole, though, I was not blown away like I expected to be, and yes, I have a 2002 marked disc.

:-jon

DTS Entertainment has cleverly shaded a bit of the glory to their own 5.1 system, which is why the Meridian output is not as spectacular as you might expect it to be. In most dvdas, the best way to hear the multichannel and stereo mixes is straight out of the Meridian output, which is 96k sampling rate and 24 bit (96/24). The DTS tracks are provided as a backup option, and they conventionally run at 48k sampling rate (48/24). In this disc, the DTS tracks are 96/24, and the Meridian are lower, so the optimum way to hear it is in DTS, which is spectacular.

Rest assured that this is a dvd-a and not a dts-only cd. Word is that DTS Entertainment has abandoned the dts-cd format entirely. It's been reported on several forums that a number of online websites and a few brick and mortar stores as well are blowing out their remaining stock of titles at $9.99 ea. Some time back there was a news report on one of the web review sites that DTS Entertainment was planning on re-authoring their entire catalog of dtd cd's to dvd-a. Whether or not this is true is purely conjecture at this time but wouldn't surprise me at all.

Well, there's one little problem there - DTS may not have the rights to convert all of their DTS Music CDs to DVD-A.

As for dumping DTS Music CDs, that would be surprising given that they just finished converting them from the old CD Jewel Box format to the new Super Jewel Box format.

After achieving that, would they then dump the whole format? Seems a strange move (and timing) if true.

"As for dumping DTS Music CDs, that would be surprising given that they just finished converting them from the old CD Jewel Box format to the new Super Jewel Box format."

Sorry Brian, but there never was a concentrated effort on their part to move their catalog to the new cases as you're implying. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of their titles that were never released in the new cases. Only the titles that were selling well of which they continued to make new production runs of, actually made the switch.

As for the them not having the rights to a number of titles in their catalog, that's a given as some of their titles are on labels supporting sacd, so I'm in agreement with you on this point.

As for abandoning the format, they've basically already done that in that only 1 or 2 new titles have shown up in the marketplace since last year (we're talking dts cds here).
They most certainly will continue to support dts encoding on movies and dvd music videos.

Can't say I've talked to DTS on this. But I do know that late last year they had a clearance sale on all of the DTS 5.1 Music CDs they had in their warehouse in the Jewel Box case via the DTS On Line web site.

The unstated message there to me was that DTS would continue to sell their 5.1 Music CDs in the Super Jewel Box case but not in the smaller CD Jewel Box.

I guess time will tell what DTS is really up to here.

Wouldn't "quadtrade" be able to answer all questions? I think he either works/worked for them, or was somehow connected to them, back when Brad Miller was involved (before he died).

"The unstated message there to me was that DTS would continue to sell their 5.1 Music CDs in the Super Jewel Box case but not in the smaller CD Jewel Box."

I think your comment here explains your post. Right after their closeout sale, DTS shut down their website for a revamp. Well, the site has been back online now for over a month. Take a trip up to their online store and take a look at what they're selling. Bet you won't find any music cds.

I've tried to go to the online store but get an error message . I have told them about it but they don't seem to know why I get the error message. I get a little box in the upper left corner with 3 colored dots , click on it an nothing happens right click reveals pdf but can't get in.?

>>In this disc, the DTS tracks are 96/24, and the Meridian are lower, so the optimum way to hear it is in DTS, which is spectacular. <<

Absolutely not true, and I don't know where you got that idea - BOTH the DTS and MLP tracks are 24/96 and taken from the SAME master. And the MLP tracks do sound better.

Ty C. :)

I get that idea when I play my disc on my JVC XV-D723. When I play it in DTS the 92k light is on, when I play the Meridian track the 48k light is on.

My guess is that when you're playing the MLP track you're getting a downmixed sample. This has been reported in other forums as well. The MLP tracks are 96/24.

mike

Yea! I have an XV-D723DG- and it does the same. I did find that it will play cdr/w thou it said it won't but not cdr- Oh well!

Back