DVD Audio from DTS Entertainment

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Ultra

According to Audiorevolution.com DTS are planning more DVD Audio titles - there are 2 old dts titles (Sting) that are on the in DVD Audio, great!!!!! But could this mean that DTS are releasing more dts titles in DVD Audio format? That could be great!

I thought that the Sting albums they were putting out were DTS only (48 khz), NOT DVD-Audio (96, 192 khz) titles.. Aren't these jsut re-issues of the same DTS encoded disks that have always been there?

Sting on DVD-Audio would be awesome, but I dont; think we're there yet..

Regards,

Bearcat

Correct. The DTS press release says the Police and Sting reissues are 5.1 DTS Music Discs, presumably in the Super Jewel Case packaging.

According to their press release, DTS is also issuing a new Studio Voodoo title in 5.1 DTS Music Disc format.

But they do mention a new "Brazilian Jazz" disc that will be a DVD Audio release vs. a 5.1 DTS Music Disc.

>>I thought that the Sting albums they were putting out were DTS only (48 khz), NOT DVD-Audio (96, 192 khz) titles.. Aren't these jsut re-issues of the same DTS encoded disks that have always been there?

Sting on DVD-Audio would be awesome, but I dont; think we're there yet..

Regards,

Bearcat <<

New announced DTS title are

Brazilian Jazz, MLP and DTS96/24

Crosby and Nash, "Another Stoney evening."

Sheila Nicholls, "Wake" MLP and DTS-ES

Studio Voodoo has a DTS-ES soundtrack also.

Frank

Club Voodoo is also a new DVD Audio title!

I'm not into the club music stuff. But the DTS ES track is nice to excercise the back center speaker a bit.

Frank

Ok..If I'm right then what is the point? (not about me being right, that's always important). It mean, sure it's in surround sound, and that's nice and all but I am more interested in audio quality, not channel quantity. Are these disks 24 9khz or 24 48khz?

How do they sound compared to the Cd's? Will they be an improvement over the MFSL gold disks I have?

I just worry that I'll buy these and they'll be released as Dvd-Audio discs soon...

Bearcat

Frank, "Club Voodoo" is not a dvd audio title. It's being released as a 5.1 dts cd only, at least for the time being, as is their other new 5.1 dts cd, Midnight Oil: "Capricornia". Both are due out next Tues along with their new DVD-A "Brazilian Jazz".

Why would they release as a DTS only title and not a DVD-A title?

Bearcat

Mike is right. Club Voodoo is a DTS 5.1 Music Disc, not a DVD Audio Disc. Here's what DTS sent me in the way of an announcement on all of this:

"DTS Entertainment October 2002 DVD-Audio / 5.1 Music Disc Titles

DTS Entertainment is proud to announce several new and re-released DVD-Audio and DTS 5.1 Music Disc titles available in stores beginning October 15, 2002:

VARIOUS ARTISTS -- BRAZILIAN JAZZ (DVD-Audio)
The second release in the is new "Brazilian" DVD-Audio series features a variety of jazz superstars captured with the state-of-the-art clarity of 96/24 digital. Following in the footsteps of the first release, Brazilian Bossa, these surround mixes add a whole new dimension of realism to this valuable collection of the most popular Latin-jazz songs of all-time.

STUDIO VOODOO -- CLUB VOODOO (DTS 5.1 Music Disc)
The "Voodoo" guys are back again, this time with some hot new ES 6.1 club mixes featuring some of the top re-mixers on the scene. Their first release, the self-titled Studio Voodoo ES 6.1 recording, is a unique showcase of how great electronica tracks can sound in surround...and has been the recipient of numerous rave reviews.

THE POLICE -- EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE (DTS 5.1 Music Disc RE-RELEASE)

STING -- NOTHING LIKE THE SUN (DTS 5.1 Music Disc RE-RELEASE) "

>>Frank, "Club Voodoo" is not a dvd audio title. It's being released as a 5.1 dts cd only, at least for the time being, as is their other new 5.1 dts cd, Midnight Oil: "Capricornia". Both are due out next Tues along with their new DVD-A "Brazilian Jazz". <<

re: Sting on DVD-A

Sure you can get re-pkged DTS 5.1 CDs by Sting, but no DVD-A that I'm aware of. It was possible once upon a time....

Remember Universal Music Group? They included Sting - Brand New Day as one of the 2002 DVD-A titles announced back in about Nov 2001. Then they sat on the fence and released nothing.

Then they switched horses and announced SACD support, but still didn't release anything in SACD either. Then it started to look like they might release titles in both DVD-A AND SACD? Who knows anymore. They may actually do something in 2003 and my guess is it'll probably be SACD first for industry politics.

Tim (timbre4)

I'm wondering how the future is at Universal. Their re-issue label, Hip-O, has stopped announcing future releases. Mariah Carey must have cleaned them out.

Back