DTS-CD DVDA help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpage

I'm looking for some help! I can play DVD-a discs on my PC only (using Turtle Beach fiber output to a suround receiver), problem is my best surround system is in my living room and my player (new BluRay) doesn't want to know about DVD-a discs, at least not any like Bitches Brew (the SQ version talked about elsewhere in this forum).

So I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to put this on a format I can play on that system, I've tried tons of stuff but it appears to boil down to not being able to take a 4.0 recording like this and make it 5.1. I've extracted the multichannel wave files and have 2 sets, both LPCM 24 bit, one at 48K and one at 96K. I've tried both with the LPlex tool I found that will take multichannel waves and create blank video and convert the audio to DVD video file formats, vobs I guess. I've never succeeded so I don't know. It wants 6 channels, not 4, at least that what it barks back to me.

So messing around with Audition, I've failed miserably trying to figure out how to add a center channel and an LFE channel to the 4.0 mix. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Am I totally off base here? Is there a better way to do this? Its for my own personal use, I realize whatever I come up with will be lossy more than likely.

Thanks for any help - i hope I posted this to the right forum, moderators please correct me!

Last edited:
What I do is open the file in Soundforge.

In the lower right hand corner it will display 24 bit 96000 Hz 4 channels.

Highlight the 4 and type 6, enter.

Two more channels appear. cut and paste the music to the appropriate channels; i.e. - LF, RF, LB, RB and leave the center and sub channels blank.

Save the file by a different name.

I'm looking for some help! I can play DVD-a discs on my PC only (using Turtle Beach fiber output to a suround receiver), problem is my best surround system is in my living room and my player (new BluRay) doesn't want to know about DVD-a discs, at least not any like Bitches Brew (the SQ version talked about elsewhere in this forum).

To my knowledge no DVD-A can be output through either toslink (fiber optic cable) or via digital coaxil. The standard is 6 analog rca type cables, though newer machines can use HDMI. I'm guessing that you have some discs with either Dolby Digital and/or DTS streams that are being output through the fiber optic cable. The Bitches Brew disc is DVD-A only. You shouldn't be able to play this through the fiber optic cable or on the Blu-ray player, though if you use analog outputs from the computer card and a DVD-A software player it should work.

You may be able to convert the DVD-A to lossless Dolby Digital or the lossless DTS used on blu-ray - I just don't know anything about either codec. I believe there is also a DTS cd of Bitches Brew that should work on either system.

Good luck.

To my knowledge no DVD-A can be output through either toslink (fiber optic cable) or via digital coaxil. The standard is 6 analog rca type cables, though newer machines can use HDMI. I'm guessing that you have some discs with either Dolby Digital and/or DTS streams that are being output through the fiber optic cable. The Bitches Brew disc is DVD-A only. You shouldn't be able to play this through the fiber optic cable or on the Blu-ray player, though if you use analog outputs from the computer card and a DVD-A software player it should work.

It surprised me too. The only content on the disc is in the AUDIO_TS folder, nothing in the VIDEO_TS. I play it back on my PC using WINDVD7, it says its PCM, but I don't get how it could possibly upload a surround analog signal over fiber. I don't have any analog outputs running to my amp. Playing it "straight" ie, no dolby enoding on my amp side still reveals a discrete 4 channel playback (definitely). Has me wondering what's going on.

Thanks for the reply!

What I do is open the file in Soundforge.

In the lower right hand corner it will display 24 bit 96000 Hz 4 channels.

Highlight the 4 and type 6, enter.

Two more channels appear. cut and paste the music to the appropriate channels; i.e. - LF, RF, LB, RB and leave the center and sub channels blank.

Save the file by a different name.

Thanks George! I have an old version (4.5) of SoundForge, so I'll have to do some investigating.

I wonder if your software or sound card is decoding the .mlp and outputting something else (6 ch .wav or DTS?) Does your receiver display what signal it is getting?

That's got to be it. I have a Turtle Beach Montego card and usually leave it at DDL 5.1 Encoding, so I'm sure that's what's going on. My receiver shows Dolby Digital.

Thanks for all the input! I may just have to break down and get a real DVDA player.

That's got to be it. I have a Turtle Beach Montego card and usually leave it at DDL 5.1 Encoding, so I'm sure that's what's going on. My receiver shows Dolby Digital.

Thanks for all the input! I may just have to break down and get a real DVDA player.

That's actually pretty useful for people without DVD-A players. But, not ideal for those wanting the best sound.

I may just have to break down and get a real DVDA player.
that's wise decision.
DTS even at 96/24 still lossy and cannot be compared to HighRes part of DVDA.

as for creating Audio DVD for use on regular standalone DVD Video you need perform two steps.
1. pack your 96/24 source files into DTS format.
if you like to save them in same resolution (96/24) then you need DTS Pro Encoder.
alternatively you may use SureCode DTS but in this case you must convert your source files into 48KHz because application won't accept them for packing into DTS container.

2. you need DVD Video authoring/editing application to build your DVD with prepared earlier DTS files as sound tracks on it.
if you don't have at present the DVD editor on your computer you may start with DVD Lab Pro. very simple with intuitive interface.

actually it's very simple process and with lil' bit practice can be done in the one half hour

You may be able to convert the DVD-A to lossless Dolby Digital or the lossless DTS used on blu-ray - I just don't know anything about either codec. I believe there is also a DTS cd of Bitches Brew that should work on either system.

Good luck.

Correct except for the thing about DTS-HD MAS (lossless) being a Blu Ray format. It's optional, not mandatory, and most players do not give you the lossless but the core audio embedded stream instead.
HD DVD was the one where DTS-HD MAS was mandatory.
Blu Ray does not even have mandatory support for Dolby True HD in anything more than stereo......

Best bet is to buy a DVDA player.....seriously....and leave the BD player for movies, which is what the format was designed to do.

Correct except for the thing about DTS-HD MAS (lossless) being a Blu Ray format. It's optional, not mandatory, and most players do not give you the lossless but the core audio embedded stream instead.
HD DVD was the one where DTS-HD MAS was mandatory.
Blu Ray does not even have mandatory support for Dolby True HD in anything more than stereo......

Best bet is to buy a DVDA player.....seriously....and leave the BD player for movies, which is what the format was designed to do.

Are there any mandatory 5.1 formats in Blu-Ray? Hmm....

lpcm.
(And why will this thread not allow me to write LPCM in blocks on it's own??)

Do you mean uncompressed 5.1 PCM?

Seems to me I've come across some Blu-Ray releases with 5.1 sound that do not include a 5.1 Uncompressed PCM track.

Do you mean uncompressed 5.1 PCM?

Seems to me I've come across some Blu-Ray releases with 5.1 sound that do not include a 5.1 Uncompressed PCM track.

That would be Dolby True HD - and it is not mandatory for BD - it's optional.
What happens with these streams is that there is a hidden Dolby Digital one present, so if your player is one of those that cannot decode a True HD Lossless 5.1 stream, you will get the Dolby Digital stream instead (This stream is not directly selectable either - selectable DD streams need to be added separately) - however, the True HD light will still be lit on the player.
(This one came to light on the Tully List)

Back