Eagles One of These Nights

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ress4278

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I just got this back after a repair and it sounds bad. Does anyone else have this and find the mix has a lot of hiss and sounds compressed even with the volume control all the way up.

ress4278 said:
I just got this back after a repair and it sounds bad. Does anyone else have this and find the mix has a lot of hiss and sounds compressed even with the volume control all the way up.

You should've seen what I got when I bought one of these on eBay...about 4min worth of tape spliced in 3 places! :mad: I had a few old reels of cartridge tape from my cart-winding days at a radio station, rewound the cart & dubbed it from another Q8. I know I didn't make my investment of time back when I sold it, but it was a great feeling preserving a small slice of 70's quad. :sun

Here's the reply I got from the person who repaired it:

Sorry about that Eagles tape. The tension has either tightened up too tight inside the tape or the foam is too stiff for that tape. I have some softer foam and I'll put that in and loosen the tension. That will more than likely solve that problem. Have a great night.

He'll fix it at no charge.

ress4278 said:
Here's the reply I got from the person who repaired it:

Sorry about that Eagles tape. The tension has either tightened up too tight inside the tape or the foam is too stiff for that tape. I have some softer foam and I'll put that in and loosen the tension. That will more than likely solve that problem. Have a great night.

He'll fix it at no charge.

I fail to see how tape tension would effect the sound. Tape tension would mess with the speed. If the tape was playing too slow, you'd know. I'd say the pads he used are too soft and are not making good contact with the playback head. Win-Gib that puppy!

Q-Eight said:
I fail to see how tape tension would effect the sound. Tape tension would mess with the speed. If the tape was playing too slow, you'd know. I'd say the pads he used are too soft and are not making good contact with the playback head. Win-Gib that puppy!

A more subtle repair screw-up that would affect the sound quality (especially low volume/fading in and out & no high end) is that the tape has been turned inside out. Look at the tape side facing out: if you see black, or anything but the usual brown, it's been reversed.

Back