Easiest way to loosen a "tight" Q8?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I have run into this problem before and usually destroyed the tape after loosing my temper at it. I just got my BTO II Q8 and it's wound pretty tight. I've managed to get it to the splice - hate cutting into tape. What would be the easiest, least painful, and least damaging to the tape way of loosening it up? :confused:

To me, this is the hardest thing to fix. Maybe dr8track can chime in here!

Hi,
fairly new into q8 but had been a stereo tracker for long time... if you already get the splice you're on the best position: remove the splice and wind up on a open reel the full tape, starting from the outside. Doing that way you will not stretch the tape. When the tape is on the reel, re-wind it in the original hub, of course starting from the centre. Rejoin both tape ends with the sensor foil and you're ok.
May i suggest one thing? Never play a newly bought 8 track without opening it first. I know sometimes it's so exciting to hear something you've sweared for years, if not decades, but two minutes more make no difference and can assure a proper life of a precious q8 cart.

Well, seeing as how I have a reel2reel machine and a few spare reels, I may try your method. When I get new tapes, first thing done is a new pad and a lube. That's when I noticed this one was tight (tried spinning by hand). After the pad and lube, I popped it in and yeah, it was dragging for sure but it was on the last song, so I got it to the end and that's as far as it's gone.

*Edit*

Hehe, that was too easy. With the help of my reel machine, I now have the entire tape on a spare reel. Now comes the fun part, rewinding the 8-track by hand!! :p

Last edited:
Try this:
Open the cartridge and remove the tape assembly. Upon locating the splice, cut the tape and (with powdered vinyl disposable gloves) unwind 3-4 revolutions of tape from the inside (hub) and splice back together with sensing tape. At this point you will have a long loop. Place the assembly back on the cartridge spindle and proceed to (with gloves) manually unwind the tape from the center until the slack is taken up.
I've been using this technique for over 30 years with good results.

Back