ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
August 6 is now the release date according to Burning Shed.

I guess they are packing us a T-Shirt ! :smokin

Confused, Otto.
What title is listed as DVD-A instead of Audio-only DVD? ELP? PT? AFAIK, all the PT surround releases are full DVD-A/V.
Cannot comment on the ELP though, but thought only 2 had been so far announced.

I believe he meant that there are 3 discs in each set?

I have some doubts that maybe can only be answered by guess, but perhaps someone knows about it.

1) Can we expect that, on all releases, the 5.1 will have a lot of "alternative" takes, like the ones from BSS DVD-A/SACD (different solos, different vocal takes)? I have really mixed feelings about that.
2) Will the BSS release in particular have a new 5.1 mix, or it will be that one already released twice (DVD-A/SACD)?
3) I read in this very thread the Quad mix of WBMF is probably missing. Any news on that? I've heard that Quad mix some years ago, I don't remember being as happy with hearing in Quad for the first time something I've been hearing in Stereo for all my life. To me, the Quad should be in the WBMF release, as it was done with some recent Pink Floyd releases of DSOFM and WYWH. But how many discs would have the WBFM release, 4, 6, 8 ?. Will those many discs in a single release make the label scare so at the end it will simply release it without extras and justify it by saying it's a live album?

From Facebook:

Steven Wilson - Official page
26 de mayo
I've recently remixed 2 classic albums by ELP, their first album from 1970 and second album Tarkus from 1971, both to be released by Sony in July as 3 disc sets. In each case disc one is a CD of the original mix, disc two is a CD of the stereo remix in the form of an alternate version of the album, adding a lot of bonus material and previously undiscovered tracks recorded during the sessions. Disc 3 is an audio content only DVD containing 5.1 surround sound mixes in DTS, and PCM stereo.
Foto: I've recently remixed 2 classic albums by ELP, their first album from 1970 and second album Tarkus from 1971, both to be released by Sony in July as 3 disc sets. In each case disc one is a CD of the original mix, disc two is a CD of the stereo remix in the form of an alternate version of the album, adding a lot of bonus material and previously undiscovered tracks recorded during the sessions. Disc 3 is an audio content only DVD containing 5.1 surround sound mixes in DTS, and PCM stereo.

I have some doubts that maybe can only be answered by guess, but perhaps someone knows about it.

1) Can we expect that, on all releases, the 5.1 will have a lot of "alternative" takes, like the ones from BSS DVD-A/SACD (different solos, different vocal takes)? I have really mixed feelings about that.

Funny how everyone thinks that BSS DVD-A/SACD had different vocal takes. The only one I can hear is on Benny The Bouncer and it is NOT a different take. It is easily heard that the original release had an overdub on the vocals as the "...the people gasped as he bled..." whereas the DVD-A/SACD, "...the people laughed as he bled...", was the VERY obvious original take.
I never hear any other different vocal take on that release but there are some instrumental differences notably in Toccata and Karn Evil 9.
As far as WBMFTTSTNE, I don't think we will ever see that released as, from what I have been told, the multi-track masters have been misplaced.
And Tarkus was Keiths best composition. KE9 was the peak of their playing but NEVER performed live as well as Tarkus. I have seen high school marching bands perform KE9 but Keith has orchestrated Tarkus and it has been performed by orchestra in Japan and Keith wears a Tarkus medallion around his neck. I guess he thinks so also.

While on the "filler" argument... I might add that "Tiger In A Spotlight" and "I Believe In Father Christmas" were two
of my favorites on Works vol 2, which may not be part of this re-issue series if you go by the filler theory.
Personally, I stopped after that as "Love Beach" wasn't their best work, IMHO

Funny how everyone thinks that BSS DVD-A/SACD had different vocal takes. The only one I can hear is on Benny The Bouncer and it is NOT a different take. It is easily heard that the original release had an overdub on the vocals as the "...the people gasped as he bled..." whereas the DVD-A/SACD, "...the people laughed as he bled...", was the VERY obvious original take.

In order to hear a completely different Lake singing on the multichannel, it only takes to listen to the very first vocal line of the album: "And did those feet in ancient time" from Jerusalem:
-Original (get whatever release you want prior to the multichannel mix): On the word "time", Lake sings a single note, a C note, straight on target ("Time")
-SACD/DVD-A (5.1 mutichannel): On the word "time", Lake makes an embelishment (appoggiatura) and sings two notes, a B-flat and a C note right after ("Ti-ime")

Lake couldn't sing both at the same take. The B-flat is absent originally, the straight C is absent on the multichannel mix. If both lines were together on any version, in a "double tracking" overdubbing, dogs would start barking whenever they heard "time".
Also, the word "feet" has a different timing on both versions.
I only start hearing, on both versions, the "same" Lake from "And did the Countenance Divine" on.

First line of "Benny The Bouncer": "Benny was the bouncer at the Palais de Dance":
-Original: Lake starts upbeat, the accent falls slightly after the beginning of the first word (it's a bit like "b--Enny"), and "dance" has a different pronunciation than the multichannel version
-SACD/DVD-A (5.1 mutichannel): Lake starts downbeat, the accent falls right in the beginning of the word "Benny" (it's like "Benny"), and "dance" has a different pronunciation.

Just the same, they can't be sung at the same time by one person alone. And they were never heard together (one would hear two "b"s, like "b-bEeny" then). What you hear on the original version is not what you hear on the multichannel and vice-versa.

Some different vocal takes, I hear (e.g., Benny the Bouncer) ...but different solos? I don't recall hearing any on the BSS DVD-A (though there is one missing low bass part I can think of, and a 'new' piano chord in one instance).

The very first line of Benny is certainly from a different take than the original studio release.

I never hear any other different vocal take on that release but there are some instrumental differences notably in Toccata and Karn Evil 9.
As far as WBMFTTSTNE, I don't think we will ever see that released as, from what I have been told, the multi-track masters have been misplaced.
And Tarkus was Keiths best composition. KE9 was the peak of their playing but NEVER performed live as well as Tarkus. I have seen high school marching bands perform KE9 but Keith has orchestrated Tarkus and it has been performed by orchestra in Japan and Keith wears a Tarkus medallion around his neck. I guess he thinks so also.

For me about half of the song Tarkus is 'filler' -- that is, pretty much everything from 'The Battlefield' on , inclusive. So it's hardly the the pinnacle of ELP compositions , for me. And side 'two' of the album isn't all that hot either. For me, Trilogy and BSS were great leaps forward from Tarkus. I don't really get the love for it, other than it was one of the first wave of side-long prog 'classics'.

For me about half of the song Tarkus is 'filler' -- that is, pretty much everything from 'The Battlefield' on , inclusive. So it's hardly the the pinnacle of ELP compositions , for me. And side 'two' of the album isn't all that hot either. For me, Trilogy and BSS were great leaps forward from Tarkus. I don't really get the love for it, other than it was one of the first wave of side-long prog 'classics'.[/QUOTE]

Tarkus (the title song) is and was Keith's best work and his Piano Concerto No. 1 has been covered by a few orchestras and we are still waith for No. 2 which he has mentioned...I am not comparing these to "ELP" compositions. He must also think so for the reason's I stated previously. You ever hear/see them do KE9 live? It was never as great as Tarkus...not even close.
But maybe I am a bit biased huh?

Tarkus X Karn Evil 9 is to me the ultimate debate on Emerson, Lake & Palmer. How about a poll on this?

Actually, one thing I miss the most on ELP and gladly find somewhat here is some kind of ELP Forum. A place in which there would be different areas of discussion (for instance: Music, Synths, Guitars, Drums, Tech Talk, Biography, Discography etc.). And moderators/owners would have no relation whatsoever to the band!
Not having relation to the band is very important to me, considering moderators/owners, because it should be a democratic forum, not an "aristocratic" one (so no ELP employee/friend/apple polisher/neighbor/son/lover/band member would have the "final" word).
A place in which a forum member would not be banned/bashed unfairly for just having tough opinions like "Emerson did absolutely nothing big during the 2000 decade", or "E, L & P should swallow their egos and reunite, so finally they might produce some good stuff since ELPowell", or "In The Hot Seat Sucks", or "Black Moon is a so-so", or "ELP had some 7 years of out of this world music, matched by none, but 35 years of uncertainty".
If a place like this exists, just let me know. But I doubt it exists, and I've checked everywhere.

Well, I'm not avoiding the big issue here: Tarkus or Karn Evil 9 ?
If I had to choose, that would hurt, but I'd say Karn Evil 9. My points:
-KE9 is not a series of small good tracks more or less apart from each other, connected and them called "piece" (even Emo admits somewhere on "Welcome Back" 1992 video that Tarkus has a lot of ideas left undeveloped)
-KE9 has a good deal of "development" of musical ideas (less ideas in terms of quantity, but more ability of handling and transforming them)
-KE9 has better lyrics (IMMO, but not saying it's a Pulitzer words-wise)
-KE9 is way harder to perform

Harder to perform. That perhaps explains why they only played KE9 entirely in 1973-4, when they seemed possessed. They could play Tarkus before breakfast in 1973-4, and even in 1998, when far from best shape, they would do it from the beginning to the end. By official songbooks/transcriptions: KE9 1st impression part 2 is not really difficult, KE9 1st impression part 1 is, KE9 2nd impression is hell (arguably the wors piano/keyboard parts in ELP literature), KE9 3rd impression is not a piece of cake; on the other hand Eruption/Iconoclast/Mass/Manticore might give you some hard time, but below KE9.

It sounds like if I hated Tarkus, right? NO WAY. "Eruption" is one of the best pieces Emerson wrote, non-tonal harmony, great rhythms. "Stones of Years" had some great chords. But most important, Tarkus sounds fresh, spontaneous, aggressive.

I suggest you start a separate thread under - Music Matters (Non Surround)

I went to the ELP web store and started the checkout process. Ship date was listed as 9/4. Two more months of waiting. Bummer!

Steven

I went to the ELP web store and started the checkout process. Ship date was listed as 9/4. Two more months of waiting. Bummer!

Steven

They moved the release date on some overseas online mail orders as well. I'm hoping that the multiple extensions of the release date means we will get a DVD-A. I guess we have to wait and see.

They moved the release date on some overseas online mail orders as well. I'm hoping that the multiple extensions of the release date means we will get a DVD-A. I guess we have to wait and see.

Anyone that thinks Sony will do DVD-A is delusional, quit dreaming and get on the beam. Blu-ray, well, maybe possibly hopefully but I think it's too late for this go round...maybe for round two (Trilogy etc).

Just got this email from Bob Hoch at Razor & Tie

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE XX, 2012

RAZOR & TIE ANNOUNCES RE-ISSUES OF LEGENDARY
PROG ROCKERS EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER’S DEBUT ALBUM AND TARKUS. BOTH ALBUMS AVAILABLE AS
3-DISC DELUXE SETS ON SEPTEMBER 11

Albums To Include New 5.1 And Stereo Mixes

Both Albums To Be Released On Limited Edition 180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl

Special ELP Merchandise Pre-order Bundles Now Available Now At http://elp.merchnow.com

The Emerson, Lake & Palmer 40[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary Concert To Exclusively Premiere On AXS TV This August

(New York, NY) – Razor & Tie is set to release the first two Emerson, Lake & Palmer re-issues of the band’s first two albums: Emerson, Lake & Palmer (1970 – Studio Album) and Tarkus (1971 – Studio Album) on September 11th. Both records will be available as 3-disc deluxe editions containing never before released 5.1 Surround Sound and Stereo Mixes, including previously unheard out-takes. Three time Grammy-nominated producer and engineer Steven Wilson (who has also recently remixed classic albums by Jethro Tull and King Crimson for acclaimed 40th anniversary editions) worked from the original Greg Lake produced multi-track tapes to remix both albums.

Fans can also purchase Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Tarkus deluxe editions at http://elp.merchnow.com/ where the albums will be bundled with a variety of ELP t-shirts perfect for any collector. Pre-orders are available now for the deluxe albums, vinyl re-presses and a selection of Emerson, Lake & Palmer t-shirts.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Tarkus will also be released on limited edition 180 gram audiophile vinyl. The records will be re-pressed and released with their original packaging and track listings. The vinyl re-presses will be available September 11[SUP]th[/SUP] as well.

Both albums will also be digitally, specifically mastered for iTunes by Grammy-award winning engineer Brad Blackwood (Alison Krauss & Union Station, Maroon 5, North Mississippi Allstars, Saving Abel).

AXS TV will also exclusively premiere the Emerson, Lake & Palmer 40[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary concert this August. The legendary Rock Band reunited to celebrate their 40th Anniversary and headlined London's first High Voltage Rock Festival. This was the historic moment when Emerson Lake and Palmer performed for the first time since 1998. This spectacular performance with extravagant special effects and lighting recaptured the magic and musical genius of Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer as they performed their greatest hits in front of thousands of fans and leaving a lasting memory of the stunning musicianship of these three legendary performers.

Razor & Tie’s full catalogue re-issue campaign will continue with the release of newly expanded, re-mastered, editions of four additional ELP classic albums: Pictures At An Art Exhibition (1971- Live Album), Trilogy (1972- Studio Album), Brain Salad Surgery (1973- Studio Album), and Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends – Ladies & Gentlemen (1974- Live Album).

Considered by many to be one of rock’s original first super-groups, Emerson Lake & Palmer formed in England in 1970 consisting of Keith Emerson (keyboards), Greg Lake (bass guitar, vocals, guitar) and Carl Palmer (drums, percussion). The band created a brand new world of music, combining classical and symphonic rock fused with beautiful vocals. Their penchant for appropriating themes from classical music and the group’s more nuanced, textured approach to symphonic arrangements set ELP apart from their more bombastic guitar-based contemporaries of the time. This subtler and more sublime approach carries on today in the expansive atmospherics of Radiohead and Muse and also in the prog-influenced sphere of band’s like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theatre, Opeth and many others, making ELP one of the more relevant torchbearers of the progressive rock sound. Along with Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, and Rush, Emerson Lake and Palmer ushered in the Prog era and as one of the most commercially successful rock bands of the 1970’s having sold over 40 million albums. ELP’s dramatic flair, sincere passion, labyrinthine song structures, and symphony-worthy virtuosity proved that classical rockers could compete for arena-scale audiences as the band headlined stadium tours around the world.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer Deluxe Edition Track List:
Disc One: Original Album

1. The Barbarian
  2. Take A Pebble
  3. Knife-Edge
  4. The Three Fates
    1. Clotho ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL ORGAN
ii. Lachesis PIANO SOLO
iii. Atropos PIANO SOLO
5. Tank
6. Lucky Man
Disc Two: Bonus Tracks (2012) THE ALTERNATE ELP NEW 2012 STEREO MIXES (Previously Unreleased)

1. The Barbarian
2. Take A Pebble
3. Knife Edge (with Extended Outro)
4. Promenade
5. The Three Fates: Atropos
6. Rave Up
7. Drum Solo
8. Lucky Man
Bonus Tracks:
9. Take A Pebble (Alternate Version)
10. Knife Edge (Alternate Version)
11. Lucky Man (First Greg Lake Solo Version)
12. Lucky Man (Alternate Version)

Disc Three: DVD Audio
NEW 2012 – 5.1 MIX (Previously Unreleased)

1. The Barbarian
  2. Take A Pebble
  3. Knife-Edge
  4. The Three Fates: Atropos
5. Rave Up
6. Lucky Man
NEW HIGH RES 2012 STEREO MIXES (Previously Unreleased)
7. The Barbarian
8. Take A Pebble
9. Knife Edge (with Extended Outro)
10. Promenade
11. The Three Fates: Atropos
12. Rave Up
13. Drum Solo
14. Lucky Man
15. Take A Pebble (Alternate Version)
16. Knife Edge (Alternate Version)
17. Lucky Man (First Greg Lake Solo Version)
18. Lucky Man (Alternate Version)

Tarkus Deluxe Edition Track List:
Disc One: Original Album

1. Tarkus
    1. Eruption
    2. Stones Of Years
    3. Iconoclast
    4. Mass
    5. Manticore
    6. The Battlefield
    7. Aquatarkus
  2. Jeremy Bender