Elvis In Memoriam: 1935-August 16, 1977

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/08/16/aretha-franklin-dies/309137002/

This is the day Elvis died too! How weird is that the king now the queen!

I did a little creative editing of my post to conform to the title change....Elvis joins that group of prominent people that are identified by just one name...there is only one Elvis(not Costello)..one Sinatra(sorry Nancy)….and when I was a young kid and heard songs like Jailhouse Rock and Heartbreak Hotel I was fascinated....and one of my favorite songs...Kentucky Rain.....and he had some beautiful gospel songs...he most certainly wasn't just in the right place at the right time...he had talent...

Last edited:
Since we already have an Aretha tribute thread--and yes, it was yours truly that changed the title as soon as I had confirmation of her passing--I'm changing the title here to remember Elvis on this day. He was 42 when he passed, and it was a genuine shock to the system to realize he was gone. Not on the level of Mr. Lennon, perhaps, but a stunner all the same, wholly unexpected.

ED

Last edited:
I was in Elvis's native state when he died. The local station interrupted broadcasting to announce the death, but, oddly, when the cause was to be mentioned, it went into complete static until that bit was over. Hmm. . . .

Elvis would stop in my hometown and eat at a local barbecue grill that served food at the window, and people would eat in their cars. Imagine looking over to the car next to you and there is Elvis wiping barbecue sauce from his face :eek:

Back