Quantcast

HiRez Poll Fahl, Mary - FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of Mary Fahl - FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• Total voters

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The downloadable version of the album is available. Anybody want to be a guinea pig?

JediJoker

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
The downloadable version of the album is available. Anybody want to be a guinea pig?
It's even on sale! :ROFLMAO: Down from $25.95 to $24.95.

Guitmark

Thanks, Mike. Was just going to report back today that it was up on the IAA site.

olgitnorm

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Will try it out tomorrow(y)

olgitnorm

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Pleased to report purchased the download today, very straight forward transaction with immediate link to download together with link to download copy of the 8 page booklet included with the blu ray. Download took about 15 minutes and that was using wireless connection so Ethernet connection would have been quicker. Had a quick listen of first couple of tracks just to make sure all was ok, which it was, and will give it a full listen this evening with pizza and wine🍷

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

channelar

Since 2002/2003
Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. Would never have found it otherwise. Went ahead with the download yesterday. I would have preferred the blu-ray but the chance of it getting to Australia by post (???) within the next couple of months is not good. It only took a few seconds to download. Took longer to put on the network drive. No geo-restrictions as there are with other vendors. The quality sounds good. Couldn't play it that loud on first listen, plus there was heavy rain. Will give it a more complete work out over the weekend.

My difficulty is how to play gapless. The instructions say to play the M3U file. This doesn't show up on My various Oppo's. These files show up under DLNA but not SMB. All other files I have show up under both. Weird.

My main players are Oppo BDP-103D's. Most of my extensive collection is digitised either Flac or DSD. I haven't had any success with gapless play. Both types play fine via DLNA. This download plays fine in the same way as the others by DLNA, although I have to retag them to have them in the correct order. The only instructions for the OPPO to play gapless I can find, is by using the 'Option' button under USB or SAMBA. I have no 'Options'. If anyone has a link somewhere to get this working, I would appreciate it.

On a separate note, if anyone also has any instructions to making a playlist of multiple Flac and DSD files to play from a Network drive to an Oppo that would also be useful. So far I have only found recently played.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. Would never have found it otherwise. Went ahead with the download yesterday. I would have preferred the blu-ray but the chance of it getting to Australia by post (???) within the next couple of months is not good. It only took a few seconds to download. Took longer to put on the network drive. No geo-restrictions as there are with other vendors. The quality sounds good. Couldn't play it that loud on first listen, plus there was heavy rain. Will give it a more complete work out over the weekend.

My difficulty is how to play gapless. The instructions say to play the M3U file. This doesn't show up on My various Oppo's. These files show up under DLNA but not SMB. All other files I have show up under both. Weird.

My main players are Oppo BDP-103D's. Most of my extensive collection is digitised either Flac or DSD. I haven't had any success with gapless play. Both types play fine via DLNA. This download plays fine in the same way as the others by DLNA, although I have to retag them to have them in the correct order. The only instructions for the OPPO to play gapless I can find, is by using the 'Option' button under USB or SAMBA. I have no 'Options'. If anyone has a link somewhere to get this working, I would appreciate it.

On a separate note, if anyone also has any instructions to making a playlist of multiple Flac and DSD files to play from a Network drive to an Oppo that would also be useful. So far I have only found recently played.
Watch the Life in Surround review to see how to do gapless on an OPPO BDP-103.
Your remote doesn't have an option button?

channelar

Since 2002/2003
Watch the Life in Surround review to see how to do gapless on an OPPO BDP-103.
Your remote doesn't have an option button?
Thanks.
Yes. The remote has an option button, but no options appear when it's pressed within the file menu. I remember getting it working on USB when on an earlier firmware upgrade but was very messy. I can't see anything come up while accessing files from a network drive.

'Watch the Life in Surround review'..... Do I find this on the YouTube 'Life in Surround' Channel? If so under which heading? Sorry to be a bit slow. I loved the interviews and review of the album. It prompted me to download the album yesterday.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Thanks.
Yes. The remote has an option button, but no options appear when it's pressed within the file menu. I remember getting it working on USB when on an earlier firmware upgrade but was very messy. I can't see anything come up while accessing files from a network drive.

'Watch the Life in Surround review'..... Do I find this on the YouTube 'Life in Surround' Channel? If so under which heading? Sorry to be a bit slow. I loved the interviews and review of the album. It prompted me to download the album yesterday.
You have to highlight the 1st track of the album. Then the option button will present gapless at the bottom of the screen. I hope that helps!

knifeman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I can't say much about the re-imagining of this album that hasn't been said in previous reviews. I was in high school when DSOTM was originally released, so I'm also intimately familiar with this record and I'm also a big Pink Floyd fan. That being said, this is not a DSOTM tribute album or a DSOTM cover album. It's a completely different animal. You know what you're listening to when it starts, but then it goes off and does it's own thing, coming back just often enough to remind you of what you're playing. Then there's the surround mix. From the vertigo-inducing beginning of On the Run to one of my new all time favorite surround moments, Any Colour You Like, this is reference quality all the way. I've listened to this disc more times than any other new release that I can think of. This is one where you don't want any distractions, no outside noises, preferably in low light, maybe a few beverages, and just sit there and think: can anything sound better than this? Maybe someday something will, but until then I'll enjoy the heck out of this one. So I'll have to vote a 10. I usually don't vote 10's but I just can't see where there's much room for improvement on this recording. Now, if only the Immersion set Blu-ray sounded like this...….:confused:

As an aside, I'd like to ask Mark Doyle if Josh Dekaney is the same drummer from the live band I saw at the Mauch Chunk Opera House a couple of times? Just curious.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Not yet, I emailed Mary today to see if she could see the USPS tracking info as I can't, I suspect they've gone into a quarantine bin somewhere on one side of the Atlantic or the other :(
What an lovely person Mary is :QQlove. I had an email saying another parcel had been posted - I hope USPS finds the one that went missing :mad: and gets it back to her.

Guitmark

I can't say much about the re-imagining of this album that hasn't been said in previous reviews. I was in high school when DSOTM was originally released, so I'm also intimately familiar with this record and I'm also a big Pink Floyd fan. That being said, this is not a DSOTM tribute album or a DSOTM cover album. It's a completely different animal. You know what you're listening to when it starts, but then it goes off and does it's own thing, coming back just often enough to remind you of what you're playing. Then there's the surround mix. From the vertigo-inducing beginning of On the Run to one of my new all time favorite surround moments, Any Colour You Like, this is reference quality all the way. I've listened to this disc more times than any other new release that I can think of. This is one where you don't want any distractions, no outside noises, preferably in low light, maybe a few beverages, and just sit there and think: can anything sound better than this? Maybe someday something will, but until then I'll enjoy the heck out of this one. So I'll have to vote a 10. I usually don't vote 10's but I just can't see where there's much room for improvement on this recording. Now, if only the Immersion set Blu-ray sounded like this...….:confused:

As an aside, I'd like to ask Mark Doyle if Josh Dekaney is the same drummer from the live band I saw at the Mauch Chunk Opera House a couple of times? Just curious.
Thank you for the kind words (and the 10.) yes, Josh is indeed the drummer in the live band, and he’s also the drummer in my live Guitar Noir show. Josh rules!

rusinurbe

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Ordered last week and am tracking it across the high seas at the moment
Well this finally arrived at the second attempt today 1st copy lost somewhere between The US and the UK. Excellent customer service as they were tracking this and contacted me about sending a replacement.
To the music and mix, and disclaimer now, I am a big Pink Floyd fan.
I love this reinterpretation of a classic album, like it because it's not a note perfect copy, but distilled essence of the music, yes it's slightly Jazzy ambient and irreverent.
Having Bob Clearmountain mixing it is also a sign of a quality mix.
Very happy bunny to have finally received this and review after so many have moved on.