HiRez Poll Fish - 13TH STAR [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Fish - 13th Star

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
First up: Listen to the Atmos mix, not the DD 5.1 mix on the menu, even if you only have a 5.1 non-Atmos system. The two mixes are very different; the DD is mostly "ambient" with a centre channel for vocals, the Atmos mix is fully discrete, hi-fi and very, very tasteful.

...after that; I'm sure this boxed set and the BD will get a lot of flack for being mostly in DD (all the extra content) but that's not why we buy these special editions, right? We want to hear the original album in the best quality surround sound possible, which is exactly what you'll get if you play the Atmos mix from the menu. It's absolutely superb, IMHO.

If I'm honest, the mastering (of the Atmos) is maybe just slightly "louder" and brighter than I would ideally like, but it's by no means offensive.

Beyond the superb Atmos mix, the overall package is just stunning; the boxed set sits perfectly with the other Fish and Fish-era 5.1 sets, the included artwork is beautiful, and the *very* extensive and emotional liner notes in this set gave me an entirely different perspective on what is undoubtedly one of the best solo albums by Fish. His heart and soul went through the wringer when creating this album and he explains all in the notes. Brave man.

The best comment I can make about this set is that it's re-ignited my love for Fish's solo catalogue, and (don't ask) has maybe re-ignited my love for travel, which desperately needed a spark...

Hard to follow Neil's superb comments.
Which I agree with 100%
And I know Neil knows what he's talking about!!
When I saw who mixed this release for Atmos I was a bit apprensive as I've not always been enamoured with their end result.
Have no worry folks, they really did smash this one.
I wonder if there is a Atmos speaker set up in chez fishy?
A great catch, 10

Hallelujah – 13th is a lucky number after all.

The Atmos mix is supurb. Avril & Andy came through with an immersive mix that is (I dare say) a touch better than their “Weltschmerz” effort.

Maybe it is the Atmos, maybe it is an album’s worth of stronger songs (IMHO)? Who knows? Who cares? I love the deluxe edition.

Things that stand out after the first listen:

The surround magic starts right off the bat as the first track begins with synth effects percolating out from the rear left and dance around the sound field. There is a cool height effect with a repeated lyric line with the word “round” as rotates above your head.

The third track opens with a music box type passage firmly in the heights.

Some of Fish’s more or less spoken vocal lines on several songs are firmly anchored into the rears and some of the more subtle roam about in the heights.

Loving it!

The packaging is pretty much identical to the Jethro Tull & Marillion deluxe boxes. I think the disc holding areas are a bit different than I have seen before and I like it. Kind of merge of the disc inlay tray style & simple sleeve holder. The discs are secure but easier to remove the inlay tray where you almost have to snap the disc in half to release it from the spindle.

Fish’s liner extensive notes provide an incredibly intimate detail of the time period and the artistic process behind the album. Warts and all. It makes Ian Anderson

In addition to Fish’s notes, the book contains a large selection of pictures from the time period, all the lyrics, very cool old and new art from long time Fish co-conspirator, Mark Wilkinson.

I haven’t watched the new documentary yet (the package includes a new making of and the older version that was included in the original release bonus editions) + a full period recording of Fish’s performance at Nearfest 2008 (a small, progressive rock weekend festival in Allentown, PA). The video is surprisingly good for the period, audio is OK - and Fish delivers 100% of what he’s got. This is the tour that I began noticing the significant deterioration of Fish’s vocals. He was never a fabulous vocalist but somehow, I liked him better for that. Kind a punk attribute in a progressive world.

I will remain optimistic that any atmos mix on the planned deluxe releases of “Vigil” and “Internal” are up to this standard. After that, I could only pray for deluxe edition of “Sunsets on Empire” with Steven Wilson’s involvement again.

The package does have a few flaws:

1: @Neil Palfreyman is 100% correct. The 5.1 mix is incredibly weak. To describe it as ambient fill in the rears is being generous. Surely the wrong file was used???? (Pedro will love it ;);)) I didn’t try to down select and play the Atmos mix in 5.1 but I hope that will work for those without Atmos.

2: The remix doesn’t really fix the harshness (maybe brick walling) of the more aggressive songs. A little too much rammed into all the speakers at peak EQ in select moments of the choruses. I wanted to crank the volume but I sensed that old fatiguing / distorting effect setting in. Maybe that is the limits of my speakers & receiver. Not too much of problem I guess – I was really trying to blast the first & second song more than I needed too. I was expecting the remix to fix that a bit. Ah well.

Received my 13th Star package late yesterday in perfect condition. I've only had time to sample the Atmos mix and concur that it's excellent - fully immersive with all channels (including heights) strongly engaged. The sound is big and immersive, with great directionality and interesting panning between the speakers. Not ready to vote yet as this is a big package and will take several listens - but I suspect it will be a 9 or 10.

The Fish Store experience was great - I received the package exactly 2 weeks after placing the order and the tracking was excellent. As has been mentioned, the package itself is gorgeous and identical to Weltschmerz. These book sets are very similar to the Tull and Marillion book sets, but a bit taller (~3/4") and a fraction wider, with a hard slipcover the book slides into. I really like the slip cover as it not only completely protects the book, but it also provides an opportunity for additional artwork. They also have well constructed pockets to house the discs instead of plastic spindles. Just like the Tull and Marillion reissues, and unlike many recent bloated box sets, these represent excellent value for money in a compact package. I'm not sure I need to own the entire Fish catalog done this way, but as long as they come in packages like this, each one will be a tough decision to skip.

Finally decided on a 9 for the entire package. The physical set, like Weltschmerz, is beautiful - very similar to the Tull and Marillion book sets but a bit larger with a welcome hard slip cover and a plush, satiny finish. The book is very good as are the extras - including a documentary and a live Nearfest recording.

The Atmos mix is really excellent - very immersive and often directional with good panning effects, particularly in the height channels. Dinged this a point because there is occasionally a bit of harshness on a few of the songs (fortunately not all), especially during denser passages, which can get fatiguing at volume. Also, not sure why Dolby Digital was chosen for the 5.1 and stereo mixes - uncompressed PCM would have been preferred. Musically, although not really prog, there are enough proggy touches to keep this collection of songs interesting all the way through. Definitely recommended.

Indeed, this album gains from its Atmos (surround) mix. Before I received this beautiful box I listened to the old version (CD), which is good. But when I started to listen to the Atmos mix as 5.1 folddown (Neil is right, and I most listen to those Atmos version) I cranked up and enjoyed it. You can crank up because dynamic range is

It sounds very good, mix is discrete and tasteful done and the book is full of stories and pictures.

Although there is no dedicated 5.1 mix (the fold down works very good) I do not miss it. May be an lossless stereo mix but not that loud as the CD master is.

A solid 9 from me! Strongly recommended to buy!

I was wavering between a 9 or 10. I gave it a 9. It lost a point because of a lackluster 5.1 mix. The Atmos mix alone gets a 10. It's one of the best Atmos mixes I've heard.

Other thoughts:
It cost me $64 shipped to the US. Not uber expensive, but not cheap either. You do get a lot of content. Four disks in a really nice package. Lots of liner notes. A full length concert video, Fish live at Newfest, stereo only, unfortunately. Two "making of" documentaries. A load of demos and live recordings on CD.

Not my favorite Fish album, but it does grow on you. My faves are Vigil, Exile, and Feast. So bring those on with mixes as good as this one.

Lastly, if you don't already have a deluxe copy of Weltschmerz, get it while it's still available. Great 5.1 mix, great tracklist. Awesome videos.

Lastly, if you don't already have a deluxe copy of Weltschmerz, get it while it's still available. Great 5.1 mix, great tracklist. Awesome videos.
Absolutely. The artwork is incredible. I can recommend both boxes although not cheap. But worth every Dollar.

I was wavering between a 9 or 10. I gave it a 9. It lost a point because of a lackluster 5.1 mix. The Atmos mix alone gets a 10. It's one of the best Atmos mixes I've heard.

Other thoughts:
It cost me $64 shipped to the US. Not uber expensive, but not cheap either. You do get a lot of content. Four disks in a really nice package. Lots of liner notes. A full length concert video, Fish live at Newfest, stereo only, unfortunately. Two "making of" documentaries. A load of demos and live recordings on CD.

Not my favorite Fish album, but it does grow on you. My faves are Vigil, Exile, and Feast. So bring those on with mixes as good as this one.

Is Weltschmerz in Atmos?

I was up at Martin Russell's studio yesterday, which is Atmos equipped, and heard this in Atmos for the first time (he even had to unwrap it!). Its an album I've never owned before and the music and mix is great, I couldn't stop grinning, Martin liked it a lot as well. I'm going to give it a 10.

I voted 10.
I received a few Atmos releases all at the same time, 13th Star being one of them, and it took the lead by a mile.
The Atmos no better/no worse than any of the top Atmos releases, but best listened in the Atmos.
This is definitely the heaviest Fish Music I have heard, the guitar work absolutely stellar.
The song OPEN WATER, oh my, with the keyboards, awesome heavy, cool song.
I also listened to the CD's, the live recordings really good.

Back