Five Bowie's remixed in Sony 360..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Scary Monsters is my favorite Bowie, the rest of the catalog us pretty much tied for second.

Sounds like these mixes are exclusively 360 RA, or at least will be for some time. I mean, are people waiting for The Beatles Atmos mixes to be available as 360 RA?

Sounds like these mixes are exclusively 360 RA, or at least will be for some time. I mean, are people waiting for The Beatles Atmos mixes to be available as 360 RA?

typical "exclusivity" which, ironically Mark Zuckerberg tried to acquire ConnectU (originally HarvardConnection) program in the movie The Social Network, so it's not exactly a new concept.

My main hope here is that the article mentions that these are new mixes done by Tony Visconti. If he took the effort (and the record company invested the money) on them, what sense would it make to have them released on an audio format that at the moment cannot deliver the surround experience for which the mixes were created (I mean listening to them on standard headphones)?
In the same way the Floyd albums that exist in 360 format are available in Dolby 5.1 in Apple, I have some hopes same will happen with Bowie's. Or even a physical release, one never knows

Excellent news! 🤘 Wow really looking forward to The Next Day and Blackstar as they've not been out in surround before. Also fingers crossed the others from the back catalogue get remixed sometime as well...

Just to say that the 360 Reality Audio format can be used in exactly in the same way as Dolby Atmos. It's not just for headphones, the same as Atmos isn't. It can output up to a full 24 channels in an object based surround mix. It just requires the hardware to decode it and so far there's only a few AVRs from Denon, Marantz, McIntosh and maybe a few others that have added it... A physical release as well would be epic!

I've heard the Space Oddity 360 album at the Bowie 75 exhibition in London - and it has some excellent moments. The title song has the "10, 9, 8..." countdown going all around the room. But it's slightly limited in how many tracks were recorded on some of the songs. Here's Tony Visconti talking about mixing Space Oddity in 360RA. (Again ignore 'listening on headphones' malarkey - it's a proper surround mix.)

It's possible these might also come out on Apple Music in Dolby Atmos - on their Spatial Audio keynote from last year they briefly showed Space Oddity in a backdrop shot of content in Spatial Audio (Dolby Atmos)...

Apple Atmos.png

Can't wait... 😎 Happy Birthday Bowie!

I obviously have as much of an idea of if/when these will hit Apple Music as everyone else here, but I've been a proponent of the theory that the Spatial Audio stuff Apple's doing is coming out in waves.

Launch had a scattering of albums, and mixes that definitely felt rushed to market

Then they started doing "featured artists", getting an artists backlog in Atmos at about a rate of 1 a month.

Then they launched the Spatialize Stereo and headtracking features in the most recent iOS updates.

Then Dolby Audio releases soft launch.

I can see them pushing this stuff more, and possibly announcing more formats (DTS, 360 RA, etc) the next time they announce new iPads, etc, which usually hits March/April. The Bowie albums so far are mostly later years albums, missing albums like Ziggy Stardust, etc. I can see Apple launching 360 RA support alongside a full finished mixed catalogue for the Featured Artist.

While Apple and Dolby seem to have a good partnership, Apple is clearly using their own binaural downmix solution for headphones/Airpods compared to the one by Dolby for PC and Xbox. You would only do that if the R&D was significantly cheaper than licensing (which considering Apple is heavily using the "Dolby Atmos" term in marketing, leads me to think that if they wanted it for dirt cheap, they probably could have gotten it), or if you intend to use it for other formats...

Back