Florida newspaper article on quad??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
My in-laws called and among other things said they saw an article in a newspaper there about quad tapes?? They weren't sure which paper it was, but I did a google search and found nothing.

Anyone down there see it? I wonder what prompted them to write about quad?

Curious QQ members want to know!! How'd we miss this? ;):phones

Apparently it was "a few days ago".

Thanks Guys! This article ran in the local newspaper last Sunday. Have subsequently received several phone calls from people wanting to unload their tapes. So far I have been given about a dozen free Q8s with a few more collections still to look at. The newspaper edition included a picture of me holding a few Q8s and have been asked around town if I was the guy in the paper so I guess I have had my 15 minutes of fame this week! Hey Jon, let me know if you ever visit your in-laws down here. If they saw the article they probably don't live too far away. As Tad mentioned, we had a very nice visit when he a his wife were visiting the area. He's great guy and a very generous quaddie. Would love to meet any surround people visiting Florida's Space Coast.

Tom

Welcome back Tom! :) [& thanx to Jon for the link]

Easy to forget that, for a few years, quad wasn't just being sold to audiophiles, but turned up in cars, and in small home systems as part of fairly inexpensive systems that also housed a tuner and TT. Quite a few tapes must have been sold at Sears, Grant's, and JC Penney that way, and after the novelty wore off, the tapes wound up in the attic. I've found Q8's at church bazaars, flea markets, just about everywhere.

ED :)

Thanks Guys! This article ran in the local newspaper last Sunday. Have subsequently received several phone calls from people wanting to unload their tapes. So far I have been given about a dozen free Q8s with a few more collections still to look at. The newspaper edition included a picture of me holding a few Q8s and have been asked around town if I was the guy in the paper so I guess I have had my 15 minutes of fame this week! Hey Jon, let me know if you ever visit your in-laws down here. If they saw the article they probably don't live too far away. As Tad mentioned, we had a very nice visit when he a his wife were visiting the area. He's great guy and a very generous quaddie. Would love to meet any surround people visiting Florida's Space Coast.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the invite. I think they were visiting (over the weekend) with some friends in "Palm Bay"?? Is that near you? Anyway, they live up north in Ocala (or something like that). I'm not good with my Floridian geography.

Is there a link to the article with pictures, or was that just the printed paper?

At any rate, good job getting the quad scene "in the spotlight!"

Jon, this link should have the pictures:

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071028/LIFE/710280310/1005

I was in Palm Bay last week which is a little south of where where I live but still in the same county. Ocala is a little farther away but I would certainly want to drive there to meet you if you ever visit your in-laws.
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the invite. I think they were visiting (over the weekend) with some friends in "Palm Bay"?? Is that near you? Anyway, they live up north in Ocala (or something like that). I'm not good with my Floridian geography.

Is there a link to the article with pictures, or was that just the printed paper?

At any rate, good job getting the quad scene "in the spotlight!"

Back