Flying Colors Second Flight Blu-Ray with DTS Master 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorO

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Anyone else get this? Mine just arrived today! Will give it a spin tonight. I passed up their first concert BluRay after the reviews condemning the mix.

Folks who ordered right away were supposed to get a signed goodie from the band. I ordered right away, and got an unsigned mini-poster with a big white space where I guess everyone was supposed to sign. Plus there was a little insert signed by just one member of the group. :mad:

Anyone else get this? Mine just arrived today! Will give it a spin tonight. I passed up their first concert BluRay after the reviews condemning the mix.

Folks who ordered right away were supposed to get a signed goodie from the band. I ordered right away, and got an unsigned mini-poster with a big white space where I guess everyone was supposed to sign. Plus there was a little insert signed by just one member of the group. :mad:

Let us know how it sounds please, as this is on my list of must buys. I passed on their first blu ray for the same reason as you, but this was such a great show I've got to get this one.

I wonder what the 5.1 will be like? The description says that it will have 2 different surround mixes, that you can switch between. One as if you were sat in the front row, and the other as if you are at the mixing desk. Sounds interesting, but possibly not much from the rears then.

Spent some time listening to a couple of tracks in various playback conditions. The mix anchored at the mixing desk has more volume in the rears from the music. The front row mix has the music anchored up front, lower volume in the back, with the back consistent more of room reflection and crowd sounds. It sounded best to me with the front row mix, with the addition of Audyssey wides and backs. Very immersive and realistic presentation with that combination. Tho I have to add, a majority of live 5.1 concert vids sound best in that configuration in our listening room.

Visually, it is clear altho in some ways dark, at least for the tracks I sampled, which were early in the show. I think the sound was competent and that fans of the bands would be pleased (always fun to watch Portnoy!). I wouldn't pick it as a demo disk.

Watched my copy earlier tonight. I tried switching between the two 5.1 options and to be honest I am disappointed in how similar they are, I expected bigger differences. I chose to go with the front row mix as I felt it sounded more natural and had more punch, the sound desk mix to me sounds a bit artificial. The stereo mix is really good too so that's an option. The audio is really clear and well recorded. I wish it was better mixed though as the audio is not spread very wide across the fronts (sounds to me like all the harmony vocals are coming from the centre when they could be spread more to the sides/rear). Sound in the rears are typical of live shows so not discrete at all.

Having said that, it does sound good. It just would have been nicer to get a better mix overall.

Video quality varies a bit, some shots look clear yet others are full of noise/aliasing and look lower res. Overall though, it's pretty decent. Editing is good.

I got mine as well but to many other things to listen to before this one but did sample a few songs and tried the different mixes and as Simon says not much difference so seems more like a gimmick.

Yep, definitely a gimmick. The blurb in the ad made it sound like we'd be blown away by the audio but in reality it's just a standard mix.

That is a fair assessment. Great music, the price you found makes it a stellar deal, but the mix is a typical live one so nothing to invite friends over as a 5.1 showcase.

I could tell by the responses that their revolutionary 2 mixes were gimmicky. Too bad someone didn't clue them in that in addition to the standard audience mix, the 2nd mix should have been middle of the stage!

Back