Foobar2000 Setup/Issues/Fixes/Usage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if another factor might be Windows downloading updates in the background and siphoning off system resources...
That's possible, load some app on the desktop that shows network and drive activity, see how busy your box is?
Another thing I would recommend is when your having a problem, do a shutdown then reboot to clear memory, cach, etc. Before starting any other process or application, start you media player again playing the same selection. Better, or the same ???

Here's how to attach discogs Metadata into files in Foobar2000 (along with the other info on file name numbering.)

Once you've loaded the CD into your ripper drive; hit the MENU -> FILE -> Open audio CD...

FB2K OPEN AUDIO CD.jpg

Then, hit Play audio CD
FB2K OPEN AUDIO CD 2.jpg

You'll see it starts to play the CD, but there may be no Metadata there yet.

FB2K PLAY AUDIO CD.jpg

Stop the play; then go to the Top right area that says "Various Artists" and right click the mouse, going to "Tagging" -> "Discogs" -> Write Tags...

FB2K discogTAGGING write tags AUDIO CD.jpg

The Find Release window opens; find your discogs release and copy the discogs url into the "Release id/url field and hit next.

(I'm using this CD release for this example:)
https://www.discogs.com/release/9938866-Ike-Quebec-Heavy-Soul
FB2K discogTAGGING AUDIO CD.jpg

Then a "Matching Tracks" window opens where you can edit on the discogs Metadata on the left side to match your CD. (sometimes there are multiple discs showing or wrong titles, or wrong order (you can move them up or down as needed) etc. etc. just click on those fields and Remove them off if need be.) You may also notice a warning in RED in the lower right that says- FAILED TO MATCH TRACK ORDER; just ignore that as it's probably just not seeing identical song Lengths.
Hit the "Write tags" button to finish (however be aware at this point your trying to "Write" onto a non-writable CD; but it holds the Metadata there until you actually Rip/Convert it to files before you close the program out.
-This will Error out into the next screen as shown on the pic after this one (just Escape or X that window out.)

FB2K discogTAGGING URL WRITE TAGS.jpg

FB2K discogTAGGING URL WRITE TAGS ERROR.jpg

Next, with the play back stopped; right click again in the upper right section (this one's now showing IKE QUEBEC) and go to the bottom of the pull up screen to "Properties" and you'll see your current Metadata that can now also be edited if need be. This is where I like to add the Label/Release information in the "Comment" field and make any other changes needed. Just copy in discogs and paste into that field and any other Comments wanted.

FB2K discogTAGGING URL WRITE TAGS METADATA CHANGES-ADDITIONS.jpg

Next you'll want to go back and right click that main header field (again IKE QUEBEC example) and select "Convert" -> "Quick convert" and save it to it's own folder (which you've previously created right ;)) as whatever you'd like i.e. wav, flac etc. I always go with wav for CDs.

FB2K discogTAGGING URL WRITE TAGS -CONVERT QUICK CONVERT.jpg

Now you'll probably want to add a nice photo titled "folder" in the folder that stores the files. For that I like two web sites:

Album Art Exchange

or

The Ben Dodson Artwork Finder

Once you've got the Front Cover artwork "folder" picture you like (I use jpg format); right click again on the header and select:
Tagging -> Attach pictures -> Front cover
Then find the folder it's saved in and select it.

Of course you can also get some Metadata from other sources like "freedb" etc. but some titles aren't in those, but can be found in discogs.

FB2K discogTAGGING AUDIO CD & folder Image Attach.jpg

This all seems like a lot of work, but once you've done it a few times and get flow of it down it really takes very little time at all.
Here's what my finished files playing look like with this title:

FB2K discogTAGGING AUDIO CD & folder Image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm playing my new Blu-ray rip of Storm Corrosion, and thought it would be nice to have the lyrics for this one (never really set all that up before.)

I found where it provides for a Lyrics download in the menu (looks like it goes out somewhere online and searches for the lyrics?) but in this case it didn't find anything.

My question for the good folks here is; is there a way to manually set that up or grab the lyrics some other way?

Lryics in FB2K.jpg

I never got it working for me, though I confess I didn't put much time into it and just running the more or less "standard" Foobar now with some add ins.
If I want lyrics I just look online usually. Genius or similar.

Back