Steven Wilson (for Steven Wilson:) remixes that don't replicate original mix effects

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a fun try ...but...dare I say it... your new mix doesn't exactly replicate the original mix or it's effects

I dare say...if you have complaints about the mix....address them to SW....it's his mix, not mine.

I simply edited the ending of his mix. 'Simply' being the point. I got this close to the original ending effect with about 30 minutes of work, using an Audition function I'd never used before.

My thoughts on this, without getting into specific tracks or mixes, is this: If the pros can't take liberties from how something is presented in the original mix, what's the point? I want music re-imagined by the pros in surround versions. I want to experience the music in a new way. I want to hear something not possible in a, um, DKA upmix.

An example of an album that takes a lot of liberties from the stereo mix in MCH is NIN's "The Downward Spiral." Listen to the stereo in DPL, or whatever, and then listen to the MCH mix. So different in places.

My personal feeling on the subject is that Steven Wilson should stand by the decisions he made in remixing these tracks and not apologize or wish he would've done anything differently.

The truth is that all of the remixes he's done are great and only one of them so far falls below a
9 on our rating scale. That's a very very high Mark and I can't think of anybody other than Elliot Schneiner who's achieved so many high ratings on this board.

I've a feeling Steven's remixes will only get better and I'm predicting that larks tongues in aspic when it's released in October 2012 will top the QQ ratings poll in no time at all.

The biggest gripe I have with one of Steven's recent remixes is not with his mix itself but with the record company who are releasing it. I'm talking specifically about EMI and their refusal to release Stevens remix of thick is a brick in a high res format that gives the mix the quality it deserves.

Let's just hope that these artists and record companies will continue to not only let Steven remix more albums from the artists he's already done but will allow him to expand his remixing to include many other artists in the future. :)

I would guess that SW wishes the multitracks to Three Fates and Tank has been available, and would have included them on the ELP ST DVDA if they had been.

As for what 'the truth' about the remixes is, it's true that they've got good poll scores so far, but those poll scores are opinions, not 'truths', as is your claim that they are 'great'. So are my ratings for the remix, which might well fall below '9' when I get around to posting them. Not 'truth', opinion.

As for your gripe, the difference between 'high rez' vs not high rez (redbook or DTS/AC3) release of the same mastering is going to less readily audible (in a fair test) than a difference between two different mixes/mastering. So if that's your biggest gripe, you're in good shape.

And of course, none of this should be construed as a call for record companies to finance and release FEWER surround mixes. No one here is calling for that.

Back