Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pink Floyd - Electric Moo mixed by Steven Wilson (Alan Parsons second choice).
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity (except make it the entire two performance) mixed by Steven Wilson.

I dutifully read every post in this thread over the course of a couple of days and was FASCINATED that Peter Gabriel wasn’t mentioned at all for 8 months until p14. With some people offering lists of dozens of artists...

My one choice (per the topic):

- Peter Gabriel - So

My honorable mentions:

- Peter Gabriel - Us
- Rush - Power Windows
- Yes - Big Generator
- Vangelis - Best In Space/Themes double album compilation

Got a ton more on my mind here, but trying to show some restraint! 😁

If only... The 25th anniversary box set would have been the occasion, but of course, that didn't happen. When you learn how the album was constructed and mixed, it's not hard to figure out why (artist objections notwithstanding). Doesn't make it any less desirable, though.
I actually don't know much about how the album was constructed and mixed. What is it that is interfering with a multichannel release? That would be really interesting to me.

I actually don't know much about how the album was constructed and mixed. What is it that is interfering with a multichannel release? That would be really interesting to me.
Countless overdubs over a period of years. I highly recommend the Classic Albums documentary for an in-depth look.

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
The Feelies - both Crazy Rhythm and The Good Earth
Big Star - Radio City
XYC - English Settlement
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson

and I’ve discussed getting together and doing Game Theory’s Lolita Nation with the album’s producer, Mitch Easter, but I’ve just finished 5 years of working on Game Theory remasters and am worn down, plus getting anyone behind funding it would be a big challenge.

jonastley.jpg
I've been thinking about Jon Astley's The Complete Angler lately. According to someone talking about the album, Pete Townshend used to use this disc as his reference album when checking the quality of a system. It's a smart, sometimes funny, brilliantly produced album from the late 80s and never got attention I think it deserved. Would love to hear a full multi channel version of this.

I have always loved The Sensational Alex Harvey Band's SAHB Stories. I find it both beautiful and tough sounding at the same time. How marvelous it would be in 5.1 or quad.

Anything in QS or DS that I can just go into a store and buy (no special orders)

I have always loved The Sensational Alex Harvey Band's SAHB Stories. I find it both beautiful and tough sounding at the same time. How marvelous it would be in 5.1 or quad.
Probably my favourite of their releases, would work well in surround. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band were so good live, he had so much energy/presence on stage

I dutifully read every post in this thread over the course of a couple of days and was FASCINATED that Peter Gabriel wasn’t mentioned at all for 8 months until p14. With some people offering lists of dozens of artists...

My one choice (per the topic):

- Peter Gabriel - So

My honorable mentions:

- Peter Gabriel - Us
- Rush - Power Windows
- Yes - Big Generator
- Vangelis - Best In Space/Themes double album compilation

Got a ton more on my mind here, but trying to show some restraint! 😁

I think I've got to add Modern English - After the Snow to my list. Just listened to it again today in stereo and was blown away by not only the completeness of the entire album (a lost art these days), but the potential for a killer discrete surround mix with the right engineer at the helm.

Back