Format Battle Threads Ad Nauseum

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Got the email for AV Forum threads and there was the usual bait the readers format war headlines. This time Rumor: Universal to go Blu (obvious)

Just reading a couple posts compelled me to post this comment to the thread:

As an A/V enthusiast for the past 37 years, I suggest:

1. Watch the movies you have, whatever *&^%$ format they are
2. Let the future unfold, the market will right itself
3. Stop justifying your purchase or denigrating the other's
4. Stop calling each other names, it only points to your issues
5. Put all this wasted energy into something important that makes it a better world

This may become a std practice! :sun

There’s a lack of titles in both HD formats. How long is it going to take for that to change? I have the uncomfortable feeling that many HD discs will be “remastered” again for better sound / picture down the road.

There’s a lack of titles in both HD formats. How long is it going to take for that to change? I have the uncomfortable feeling that many HD discs will be “remastered” again for better sound / picture down the road.

Count on it! In a burst of rare honesty we may see discs with:

"27th Re-release But Certainly Not The Last Edition"

There's always eBay to liquidate previous versions with as we improve what we have.

It's already happened. The initial Blu-Ray of the Fifth Element was so bad they had to re-issue it a year later. They're still selling both versions in stores and on ebay. There is only a subtle difference in the packaging (the addition of TrueHD soundtrack I believe).

Yeah, that's the funny thing about this "war," supposedly there's less than 400 titles for each format. Many of the older titles with not that better picture than regular DVD from what I've heard, although I notice a much more improved sound / picture even on a good old tube TV. I'd like to see more new music titles.

Got the email for AV Forum threads and there was the usual bait the readers format war headlines. This time Rumor: Universal to go Blu (obvious)

Just reading a couple posts compelled me to post this comment to the thread:

As an A/V enthusiast for the past 37 years, I suggest:

1. Watch the movies you have, whatever *&^%$ format they are
2. Let the future unfold, the market will right itself
3. Stop justifying your purchase or denigrating the other's
4. Stop calling each other names, it only points to your issues
5. Put all this wasted energy into something important that makes it a better world

This may become a std practice! :sun

Tim:

Well stated! Sometimes someone has to be the adult.

Justin

Tim:

Well stated! Sometimes someone has to be the adult.

Justin

And there lies the problem. We have had it here on a couple of occasions ... adolesents sneak in to bother the adults, act like assholes, then adults fight back, hell in a handbasket not far behind.

You'll probably get banned or that thread will get closed. Those folks over there are very strange. One would have to guess that the mods are pro-Blu, which IMHO is stupid. They should not be pro-anything. Half of the reason the threads over there turn sour is that the fan boys of each format try and shove the other format into the shitter while placing theirs on a pedestal. WGAS!

Your post makes the most sense. Sure BD is ahead and may well be the "winner", but that does not mean HD-DVD sucks and the folks who have it suck or are morons. For someone to root for a format to die is a joke, especially when these formats are so cheap (relatively) to get into. I've said it a thousand times, if you want to plunge into one, it's not that much more to plunge into both, especially when you factor in the free discs and price breaks.

Even if you only want one, fine, no need to trash the other. Keep it civil. Hey, I have no problem with folks having different opinions, but to steer everything one way and to ban and delete posts and threads that turn the opposite way is not a free forum.

On the Blu-Ray forum, one would expect them to trash the other format (although I don't see what that gains them), but in a neutral forum both sides should have the same status.

A great forum for this crap is the Satellite Guys. They have a "War Zone" forum, and both sides beat the other sides heads with sticks and no one has to worry about censorship. Very cool. Here at QQ, you can pretty much say whatever you like, as long as it's not personal attacks. I'd prefer it if fans of one format speak up their format and not kill the other, but if that happens - so be it. To me, it just reflects poorly on that poster.

Back