Steven Wilson Here are Steven Wilson's 2012 responses to Questions 1-18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Jon, is there any plans to make similar chat interaction with others famous for us folks?
since Mark Waldrep of AIX records is a registered member here, would you be willing to send
an invitation for questions/answers chat to him?

I would love to do the same with Elliot Scheiner, Greg Penny, and many others, but contacting them is almost impossible for a "regular guy". We don't advertise, there are no incentives for anyone to pay attention to us. The only reason we got Steven to do this is because Neil contacted him and he agreed.

Who knows, maybe someone here knows someone there. I'd be open to any and all who would do so.

As for AIX, I'm not sure what the deal is with Mark. He was here a lot a few years ago, but seems to prefer the AVS Forum for his postings and his "special offers". He's welcome here and can use QQ to promote his product as much as he likes. I think his stuff is quite impressive, and have said so in posts here in the past.

I would love to do the same with Elliot Scheiner, Greg Penny, and many others, but contacting them is almost impossible for a "regular guy". We don't advertise, there are no incentives for anyone to pay attention to us. The only reason we got Steven to do this is because Neil contacted him and he agreed.

Who knows, maybe someone here knows someone there. I'd be open to any and all who would do so.

As for AIX, I'm not sure what the deal is with Mark. He was here a lot a few years ago, but seems to prefer the AVS Forum for his postings and his "special offers". He's welcome here and can use QQ to promote his product as much as he likes. I think his stuff is quite impressive, and have said so in posts here in the past.

I'm a "regular guy" and I got in touch very easily with Greg Penny through email on his website, so try him through that.

I agree with SW on the "Fragile" mix. It just seems odd to me.
And as far as the "Best Forum" goes, Kap'n, you said it just fine! We are a lucky bunch. :smokin

I believe he said an early mix of Fragile- I took that to mean that he either didn't hear the finished product or if he did he didn't find that strange. Personally, I like the aggressive use of the surrounds on that mix. Cans and Brahms really smokes being immersed in the mix of the different keyboards. To each his own of course. Yes has been my favorite band since mid-70's and it was a whole new experience hearing Fragile in surround, but without changing the feeling of the music. IMHO of course.

Very awesome! Lots of good stuff contained here. I just got back from a road trip to see the first 3 shows of the second leg of the "Grace for Drowning" tour. Lots of fun, each night! Especially dig the use of the Quadraphonic PA during the show.

The sudden appearance of the choir in the surrounds for Postcard (among other careful supportive usages) was pretty cool! Glade we made it to Chicago.

I should've asked him why I find Drown With Me so damn cheerful.....

The sudden appearance of the choir in the surrounds for Postcard (among other careful supportive usages) was pretty cool! Glade we made it to Chicago.

I should've asked him why I find Drown With Me so damn cheerful.....

I noticed at the Chicago show at Park West back in November more use of the quadraphonic PA. I hardly noticed it at all in Seattle, more so in San Francisco and LA.

Louder isn't an issue. Placing the rears at the sides creates an evenly distributed sound-field that seems unattainable with other configurations. I think this even distribution of the sound makes for a better listening experience.

My mixing sweet spot corresponds to the ITU circle, but I have a sofa right behind that (mainly for watching movies) and often times I like to listen to surround mixes there (so the surrounds are to the side and not behind).

And yes, awesome thread (y)

Nice to have options!

It sure is :)

For a number of recordings I prefer a 'front-wide' scenario to a classic surround setup.

Now if I could have two sets of surround speakers, placed accordingly, and a way to switch between front-wide and surround in the same sweet spot, that would be surround sound heaven! But I'm happy with my setup :)

The main reason Steven Wilson is up there with my all time favorite musician and producer is the fact he listens and respects our views, opinions and wants.

It's not like he was not down in my book , but now he's WAY higher in my book...even getting some PT DVD-As, even though they don't speak to me...but I'm slowly getting them...and then there are his "industry standard" Surround mixes...just for that..and they are CHEAP...BTW , I think I got the last copy of the "Insurgentes" DVD-A that was available in Burning Shed

It's not like he was not down in my book , but now he's WAY higher in my book...even getting some PT DVD-As, even though they don't speak to me...but I'm slowly getting them...and then there are his "industry standard" Surround mixes...just for that..and they are CHEAP...BTW , I think I got the last copy of the "Insurgentes" DVD-A that was available in Burning Shed

most certainly, he is the current leading light in surround sound music.
without him driving it, where would we be!?

although I do have to say, I still feel there's a hardcore nucleus of people in the music industry who haven't given up hope for the future of 5.1, Abbey Road's Peter Mew among them.

If you look closely, Mew's been heavily involved in so many of the quad dvds we've had in the last few years: Barclay James Harvest's 40th Anniversary "Once Again", Deep Purple's "Stormbringer", ELO's ELO, the 2 Gentle Giant's, etc..

Easy - just adjust the volume and distance to the rear speakers.

I have been a surround junkie for 13 years now and i have always had my rear speakers on the side. Having them behind me makes it sound artificial... Maybe in a 7.1-setup...

I agree with you on this, Quad and 5.1 is better with the rears to the side, also unless you have a large room rear placement is much more difficult as well and doesn't sound quite as good with speakers placed behind you. Maybe in a 7.1-setup ditto.

In an automobile I like the rears behind me, especially on the rear deck rather than in the doors, but that's a whole other environment, and there the fronts are usually in the doors on the side, kind of reversed!

Back