HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - THE HARMONY CODEX [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - THE HARMONY CODEX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
A 9 for me.

I intentionally avoided all previews of this album, so the only time I’ve heard it is in Atmos from the disc. For me, that’s the best way to listen to a new Steven Wilson album these days... in full, on disc.

I truly do love the surround mix, but if I had a friend I was introducing to Atmos the first time, I wouldn’t necessarily put this in first. I think with all the build-up and interviews about this being made for Atmos, I might have been expecting something miles better than anything else out there.

I generally enjoy the songs but I’ve never really been a fan of spoken-word passages. That’s really where the 9 comes from along with a couple of songs just not doing it for me like Actual Brutal Facts.

Right now, my favorite song is Impossible Tightrope.

I generally enjoy the songs but I’ve never really been a fan of spoken-word passages. That’s really where the 9 comes from along with a couple of songs just not doing it for me like Actual Brutal Facts.
I have to admit that probably, for whatever reason, this album really struck a chord with me. I say this because, usually, I would agree with you about "spoken-word passages". But I love Actual Brutal Facts.

Also, The Harmony Codex is probably the first album that sees me going out of my way in order to listen to it in Atmos.
While I have loved multichannel music pretty much since I acquired my first DD/DTS receiver and set up 5.1 channels at home, I have always been a "music first" kind of guy. As such, convenience pretty much always trumped multichannel. With THC I find I am forcing myself in place to be able to experience it properly in Atmos.
Considering, alas, I'm not that young anymore, this is making me really happy. Renewed passion is nice to experience and harder to come by, as years go by.

I listened to the first single, Economies of Scale, when it was released, then avoided the releases until the full album was available. I also forced myself to wait until after work to give the full album a listen on release day. Unfortunately this was on Apple Music, due to the delay in the release of the deluxe edition.

My first listen did not live upto expectations (what does) for the songs, but the mix was great. I started listening to THC in stereo and each time I listened, I liked it more. Having heard it once, I just took in the songs and knowing what was coming enjoyed them, more with each listen. For the first couple weeks after release, I was listening to it multiple times a day, and am still putting it on at least once a day, usually in stereo, but in surround as often as I can.

To me, The Harmony Codex is second only to Hand. Cannot. Erase in Wilson's solo catalog. I love this album and cannot get enough of it. It's definitely an AOR release, I never pick a song for a listen, it's the whole shebang or nothing. That is not to say that parts of it don't run through my head at random moments. Times Running Out (both versions), Rock Bottom, Impossible Tightrope, Inclination and Staircase are living rent free in my head. The only track that doesn't pop up in that space is the title track. I'm a casual fan of ambient music and fleeting relationship with THC as a song. If I wasn't listening to the album as a whole, I would never hear it.

I listened to the streaming "Atmos" a couple of times, I don't have an Atmos system, before my discs arrived. The first listens to the 5.1 were incredible, Wilson has outdone himself here. I think he may have achieved his goal of creating a DSOTM for Atmos, someday, hoepfully soon, I will be able to confirm that.

I give it a 10. The mix, sound quality, songs and package are exactly what I wanted, The only demerits I have, which are not enough to take the 10 away, are the reprise of the spoken word section for THC on Staircase and that the bonus tracks aren't in surround on the blu-ray.

Hear It for first time in dts. This is most enjoyable to the one before of Porcupine Tree. I was afraid that was bored of dts and give all to the atmos.
I was wrong. A lot of game with the keyboards and the agressive bass that punch in the stomach. All the sounds expanded through the speakers but good mixed.
Must be amazing in atmos. But at the moment, is impossible to me.

Harmony Codex has convinced me that physical media is the absolute only way to fully appreciate and enjoy Blu-Ray Audio and Atmos, 5.1 and quadrophonic recordings. I just listened to the single Blu-Ray I recieved as a Christmas gift and completely enjoyed this experience. I thought the stream sounded good. You don't know what your missing if you never heard the Blu-Ray. I would have rated this a 7 based on the streaming version. The Blu-Ray version is an absolute 10 in my book. Wow! Long live physical media!

Can't comment on the Atmos aspect, as 5.1 it is for me.
I like the tracks 2 through 5, but the rest is not up to par.
Let's hope for another Porcupine Tree album, sometime in the future.

I have finally been able to sit and absorb The Harmony Codex several times. I was really curious because on social media, people seemed to either love it or hate it. In full disclosure, I prefer the earlier, more melodic Porcupine Tree albums than the later ones. "Stupid Dream" is one of my all time favorites. I prefer the "Floydian" songs to the "Crimson-ish" songs throughout Mr. Wilson's career. Plus, I have been a fan of electronic music for decades, so this was right in my wheelhouse. All that being said, I found this release to be brilliant. Pure art. Every song is wonderful. And even though the style changes from song to song, it is still one of Wilson's most cohesive as a whole, in my opinion. It retains the same mood throughout. I loved how he made the song, "The Harmony Codex", a 10 minute ambient song, really exciting. Not an easy feat.

And of course the production is outstanding.

In fact, in one thing I am curious. I have the Blu-ray, and listened to this in 5.1 (no Atmos yet). This release seems to have been conceived with multichannel in mind. Is the production SO good in that it actually propels the music? Many of the people that I read that didn't like it, only heard the stereo version. Does it actually lose something when it's not in multichannel? When I first listened to "The Future Bites", I didn't like it at all. I didn't have my 5.1 system yet so only played it in stereo. I have to admit when I heard it in 5.1, a lot of it made more sense. It is still my least favorite release, but I have grown to like it. I am just trying to figure out why the negativity on "Codex."

This was by far my favorite release of 2023. A perfect 10.

I have finally been able to sit and absorb The Harmony Codex several times. I was really curious because on social media, people seemed to either love it or hate it. In full disclosure, I prefer the earlier, more melodic Porcupine Tree albums than the later ones. "Stupid Dream" is one of my all time favorites. I prefer the "Floydian" songs to the "Crimson-ish" songs throughout Mr. Wilson's career. Plus, I have been a fan of electronic music for decades, so this was right in my wheelhouse. All that being said, I found this release to be brilliant. Pure art. Every song is wonderful. And even though the style changes from song to song, it is still one of Wilson's most cohesive as a whole, in my opinion. It retains the same mood throughout. I loved how he made the song, "The Harmony Codex", a 10 minute ambient song, really exciting. Not an easy feat.

And of course the production is outstanding.

In fact, in one thing I am curious. I have the Blu-ray, and listened to this in 5.1 (no Atmos yet). This release seems to have been conceived with multichannel in mind. Is the production SO good in that it actually propels the music? Many of the people that I read that didn't like it, only heard the stereo version. Does it actually lose something when it's not in multichannel? When I first listened to "The Future Bites", I didn't like it at all. I didn't have my 5.1 system yet so only played it in stereo. I have to admit when I heard it in 5.1, a lot of it made more sense. It is still my least favorite release, but I have grown to like it. I am just trying to figure out why the negativity on "Codex."

This was by far my favorite release of 2023. A perfect 10.

Others have said as much, but I'll say without doubt the stereo mix of this album is flat out missing elements (or they're buried deep enough they may as well be missing) and the character is definitely changed on some of the songs.

I have a friend that has a strictly 2ch setup and we listened to it on this system. While I still found it enjoyable I observed what I stated above. He came over later and heard it in Atmos (I have a 7.2.4 setup) and was stunned. I know we all get tired of the normal superlatives that get thrown around in audio forums, but this was certainly a case where it was a "huge difference" to his ears.

I didn't start down the road of being a PT/Wilson nut until a few years ago. So that might be a factor in my appreciation for The Future Bites. But I will say the Atmos mix of it is one I listen to regularly. I appreciate the albums scathing look at consumerism, politics, social isolation-self absorption and the regrets we have about things past. Lyrically to me it feels like something like a younger Waters would make.

Others have said as much, but I'll say without doubt the stereo mix of this album is flat out missing elements (or they're buried deep enough they may as well be missing) and the character is definitely changed on some of the songs.

I have a friend that has a strictly 2ch setup and we listened to it on this system. While I still found it enjoyable I observed what I stated above. He came over later and heard it in Atmos (I have a 7.2.4 setup) and was stunned. I know we all get tired of the normal superlatives that get thrown around in audio forums, but this was certainly a case where it was a "huge difference" to his ears.

I didn't start down the road of being a PT/Wilson nut until a few years ago. So that might be a factor in my appreciation for The Future Bites. But I will say the Atmos mix of it is one I listen to regularly. I appreciate the albums scathing look at consumerism, politics, social isolation-self absorption and the regrets we have about things past. Lyrically to me it feels like something like a younger Waters would make.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Wilson's music operates on a different plain when it is in multichannel. You are also right about "The Future Bites." Lyrically it is one of his most powerful concept albums. You just need to get past the drastic shift in musicality. I rather enjoy it, now.

When I was sampling the songs on YouTube (stereo only) I hated The Harmony Codex. In fact I felt I was taking a big risk when I finally placed my order for the blu-ray. But once I got the blu-ray and started listening to the 5.1 I could not stop listening to it. It's beautiful! It's close but I think it's even better the The Raven - which previously was my favourite Wilson album.

When I was sampling the songs on YouTube (stereo only) I hated The Harmony Codex. In fact I felt I was taking a big risk when I finally placed my order for the blu-ray. But once I got the blu-ray I could not stop listening to it. It's beautiful! It's close but I think it's even better the The Raven - which previously was my favourite Wilson album.
Awesome! I do think it's a great album...especially in surround

I wouldn't say the album loses anything in stereo. I've listened to it more in stereo than surround. There is a caveat, when listening in stereo it's usually with headphones, so it's still an immersive experience. That said the album shines in 5.1, due to this album, I'm figuring out how to expand my system to atmos. All my speakers are in wall, installed when I finished my basement, adding 4 more speakers in wall with all the wires hidden will be a lot of work. I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

TFB is a really good album, I have always enjoyed it. It's got the message, which is quite cynical, but is also quite light at 40 minutes. The production and mix are incredible.

I wouldn't say the album loses anything in stereo. I've listened to it more in stereo than surround. There is a caveat, when listening in stereo it's usually with headphones, so it's still an immersive experience. That said the album shines in 5.1, due to this album, I'm figuring out how to expand my system to atmos. All my speakers are in wall, installed when I finished my basement, adding 4 more speakers in wall with all the wires hidden will be a lot of work. I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

TFB is a really good album, I have always enjoyed it. It's got the message, which is quite cynical, but is also quite light at 40 minutes. The production and mix are incredible.

I'll have to agree to disagree on the stereo not losing anything. It's still very good, but I listened to the teasers in 2ch on my system and the whole album in 2ch on another and to my ears there are elements either pushed back or missing and songs like Economy of Scale have a noticeably different (and better to me) presentation in Atmos. It could always be flawed observation on our part or the equipment involved, but that's what was observed.

I enjoyed TFB from the start too. And appreciated it more and more on repeat listens. When you get your Atmos setup completed you're in for a treat as TFB makes very good use of the format. Not quite as stellar as The Harmony Codex, but still excellent.

Last edited:
Opinions differ. IMO, I don't think the jump from 5.1/7.1 to Atmos is anywhere near the jump from stereo to 5.1/7.1. But it does provide for more surround releases, regardless how you play them.

I agree. It would be pretty tough for anything to make the same impact sonically as moving from 2 speakers to discrete surround sound. Atmos does make a sizable improvement though and brings a dimension to the experience that is well worth the effort. And judging from the improvements we've seen in the short time Atmos has been in play for music, it will be more and more rewarding going forward.

This is a tough one. The production, mix and fidelity are top notch. But it comes across as a bit gloomy.

I begin to understand the emperors criticism of Mozart as having “too many notes.” You’re listening to a massively complex composition and arrangement after having a long day as emperor-the Prussians are causing trouble in the north, civil unrest in France which could spill over into your country, the Russians to the east….at the end of a long day as emperor you just want Muzak. So I recommend being rested when you listen to this and you will appreciate it a lot more. Alertness certainly helps one appreciate the sonic marvel this album is.

Will I listen to this often? I have so many options in my collection, I think it will see a few weeks in the sun (or the moon if you’re feeling gloomy) before languishing. Ultimately there are good odds it will move to another rack and gather dust.

I am a big fan of SW’s surround and now atmos mixes and this one is terrific. On that basis I give this an overall 9. But to be clear it’s a must buy if you are into the atmos format.

Back