HiRez Poll ABC - THE LEXICON OF LOVE [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of ABC - THE LEXICON OF LOVE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Ordered in presale, but received late due to the tax process with the necessary delay (and extra costs). All very frustrating. As an extra salt in the wound, I could already read here how enthusiastic everyone is. I was not curious about the music. It has become firmly rooted in my memory as "very good". Still, there was an old-fashioned "wow that's good" tingle when I heard the new mix. Without a doubt a solid 10.

I went with an 8 and agonized a bit between that and a 9.

As I’ve been listening, I’ve wondered if 2023-me could have convinced 1982-me to sit down in front of a really good system to listen, despite not liking this style of music then. I always heard the singles on a cheap car stereo, cheap home system or cheap TV which certainly didn’t allow me to hear the music at its best.

But between the solid bass and rhythm guitar in Atmos, I’d like to think I could have appreciated it more if I had heard it this way back then.

One reason I went with an 8 is because I think it kind of poops out on the final songs. Maybe I’ll feel differently on further listens and up my score.

Also, the marking of beginning/ending of tracks on the Bluray makes ripping kind of strange. (Discussed in another thread.)

While not a major thing listening on the Bluray itself, I do listen to ripped versions of albums quite a bit. Hardly fatal, but stuff like this or the quieter Atmos levels we’ve talked about on other releases makes me feel like things are getting a little sloppy in ways that they shouldn’t. I did wonder if I’m being fair knocking it down for that.

I wish the Instrumental mix was in Atmos, but then I figured I could somehow turn off my center speaker... only to find I have no idea how to do that even after pouring through sites. The best I can do is turn the center speaker down a ways, but not completely off. (And I have no desire to just pull the wires out temporarily.)

But I’m listening to the Atmos now and even if I could totally disable the center, I would be hearing a bit of voice in the other speakers. A slightly different listening experience with downplayed vocals, though.

Despite my score of 8, I think that if you loved this album growing up, nothing here is going to make you love it less. You’ll probably love it even more that Wilson has worked his magic, and I can understand the 10s.

I have to admit, that back in the 80's I didn't care much for the majority of the pop music that the decade produced. Sure, I heard the singles from this album but they didn't really grab me. Since I recently put in a surround system, and have been experiencing some of the wonderful Steven Wilson mixes of XTC and Tears For Fears, I have a growing fondness for the music produced back then. That being said, I bought this solely because of it's Steven Wilson mix, and to support the wonderful people at SDE. I am so glad I did. This is a wonderful release. I only have a 5.1 set up, but this made my system dance. Having never heard the album before, I enjoyed the entirety of it. The mix was outstanding. One of Mr. Wilson's best. I can't give this anything other than a 10.
(y) This is everything I was thinking about this release as well, exactly. Makes my 5.1.2 system sound really great and is another great SDE release that I was pondering for a while but so glad I decided to get it.

One reason I went with an 8 is because I think it kind of poops out on the final songs. Maybe I’ll feel differently on further listens and up my score.
Yes, as I mentioned earlier, it did seem to me that they finished it off with some quickly-tossed off filler. (And yes, I'm familiar with the UK phrase!)

Even then, a keeper!

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, it did seem to me that they finished it off with some quickly-tossed off filler. (And yes, I'm familiar with the UK phrase!)

Even then, a keeper!
I agree... a keeper! I listened to it again yesterday and my feelings on the latter songs haven't changed. But I’m still astounded I’m enjoying an album that, at least based on the singles, was something I wanted nothing to do with at the time of release.

Well 3 Atmos albums delivered in 1 day , Dance Macabre, This and the yes album. Its going to take some time for me to get into the Duran Duran one, already voted 10 for Yes and made a statement Steve Wilsons best. Have to now adjust that as this one is probably his best to date, love this album it sounds so good. 10 for me.

I voted 9. I hadn't planned on it but the numbers don't lie.

Surround 8 (2.4)
The music is so lush that I wanted the ATMOS to go crazy. yeah I know. hardly fair.

Audio 9 (2.7)
Sounds great.

Content 10 (3)
Easy 10 when you get all of the following:
  • Steven Wilson 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix
  • Steven Wilson 2023 5.1 Surround Mix
  • Steven Wilson 2023 2.0 Stereo Mix
  • Steven Wilson 2023 2.0 Instrumental Stereo Mix
  • Original 1982 2.0 Stereo Mix

Package 10 (1)
Did I mention all of that in a single reasonably priced bluray?

9.1 rounds to 9

Last edited:
Back