HiRez Poll Yes - THE YES ALBUM [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Yes - THE YES ALBUM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new super deluxe edition of "The Yes Album" by Yes.
The new box set features a Blu-Ray disc containing Steven Wilson’s 2014 stereo & 5.1 mixes, as well as a brand-new Dolby Atmos mix!

(y) :) (n)

YesAlbum_DLX_4000x4000.jpg

YesAlbum_DLX_productshot-1.jpg

Slight cheat so I won't vote it until tomorrow when my box set arrives. I streamed the Atmos from Apple and Ho-Lee Shee-It!

I had held off on the box due to my never-going-to-hold-up ban on overpriced boxes just to get the BluRay. immediately ordered the box for a reasonable $75.

I will write a full review once I have a chance to run the bluray a few times but Ho-Lee Shee-it! The stream was the best use of heights I have heard on anything and overall this is what I wanted to hear as soon as I bought my first surround speakers.

The Dolby Atmos mix sounds great, even on a 5.1 system. Excellent reproduction with great stereo panning and cross fades. This is the way to do a box set. I am looking forward to the various DTS-HD MA, stereo and mono mixes, not to mention vocal and instrumental mixes and live cuts.

THIS is what I've been waiting for and imagining.

Immersive sound and spatial audio changes everything about listening to music. The first runs at it with Quad sound were brilliant and sadly lost in the shuffle. The reemergence of those and more when surround sound became a thing because of movies gave us music lovers a tremendous gift.

A good engineer can create an impressive soundstage with two speakers. But it’s still directional, coming at you from the front with whatever reverberation you get from your room to give it added dimension.

Quality surround mixes can either recreate a soundstage with the effect of a great listening room or take it a step further and give you a new and embiggened experience. More than anything else additional speakers give each track/instrument room to breathe. They’re not fighting for a piece of the same frequency spectrum in a pair of even the best speakers. They can have their own launch spot and space in the room.

Atmos takes this above ground level and again can either make a recreation even more accurate or turn a great piece of music into a creative new experience. There have been a lot of really good runs at this, even some great ones.

Then came this. Steven Wilson even says in the liner notes that he’s learned a lot since he remixed this album into 5.1. No shit Steve. And it shows in this feast.

Even his more adventurous surround and spatial mixes have always seemed just a tad restrained. Not this one. He lets her rip. And he gives us a whole new take on a brilliant record.

Yes came into their own with this album and the layers of harmony, the multiple leads from Howe and Squire, the soundscapes are all around as the Gods of Music intended. The mix is a combination of putting discrete elements in places where they could shine and using all the available loudspeaker landscape to make sure they whole effect is crisp and never gets messy or murky.

Yours Is No Disgrace opens & gives us a perfect capsule of what SW’s tour de force mix would bring. He put Steve Howe on a catwalk running around above the band dropping solos and arpeggiated wonder all over the music. He had the vocals centered to set the stage and then coming from everywhere when it was time to expand.

This was not just heights for Atmos-pherics. It was heights as the additional parts of the soundstage. There were a few times where a piece of the song flowed around the room, but it was appropriate and not gimmicky. It was really what the idea of immersive audio aims for but almost never actually hits. And certainly not on a rock record.

The other examples of great Atmos I can think of were more electronic, like Kraftwerk 3-D. Taking the great classic rock of Yes and making it feel just as appropriately everywhere is even more fun.

I could rave about the individual things about the mix that blew my mind, but you should find your own. There are so many to choose from. I was exhausted after both listens because I was that engaged in the music. Like many of you, when I’m listening deeply I often hit a meditative state. I was there but I rarely floated off because cool stuff just kept happening.

One interesting thing was the dynamic range. The soft parts were truly delicate and there were a few times when a reentry or solo actually startled me with the intensity. It felt more like a classical mix where it can be tough to pick a proper listening level so you can hear the soft but not be pummeled by the loud. This was just short of that and I could happily hear the soft parts and just took the aggressive bits as a nice shot of audio adrenaline.

There were only 16 tracks for this recording, but that tracks nicely with a fully-formed Atmos set up. It also makes me tingly for what happens when SW gets his paws on the Fragile and CTTE multi tracks again with even more goodness to spread around.

Yes with Tony Kaye was brilliant and no one can take anything away from the songs, arrangements and performances on The Yes Album. But adding Rick Wakeman was literally putting a Wizard in the band shooting lasers and lightning bolts and dropping shimmering waterfalls of musical magnificence. He was a third lead player along with Howe and Squire and he even pulled Bruford into a more active role.

Please buy this and tell your friends to so we can make sure they put SW back at work to give us the rest of the Yes we deserve in an epic form like he just delivered here.

I saved this to the end because I almost feel bad complaining about it. BUT, there is one thing I hated. Small and not for very long but hated it. In the Your Move portion of I’ve Seen All Good People SW put shakers in the front height speakers. Likely Jon Anderson keeping his hands busy, but I don’t remember them at all from previous mixes and certainly not enough to make me go WTF? Thankfully that’s all that was in those two channels so I zeroed them out until the song switched gears and all was once again blissfully brilliant.

The pic is from a previous listen to the 5.1 version. I was so blown away it never occurred to me to snap a shot.

Attachments

• Yes Album.jpeg
    Yes Album.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 1
Wow, Mr. J. Hanson! What a review!! I can’t top that. This Dolby Atmos mix is so good, even your cat paid attention. 😘

I only listened to the Atmos mix once but it is enough to give it a solid 10. The only slight gripe I had while listening to it was a guitar solo in a couple of songs seemed a bit louder than normal. I still like and appreciate the original Steven Wilson 5.1 mix. So, glad there’s both.

This just arrived today! This 1970/71 album was one of the most played albums in my collection that year, and I saw them three times in the next 12 months, the largest venue holding maybe 2000 people (Akron Civic Theater)..and a total of eight times in my life. I LOVE Yes. When I saw them on this album's tour (the first time I saw them) it was in a high school auditorium and I was standing 10 ft from Steve Howe. :)

This Atmos mix, previewed (albeit compressed) this past week on Apple Music, is a master class from Steve Wilson and far outdoes his earlier 2014 5.1 mix. It's a 10. I haven't yet listened to the extras, the live stuff, etc.

Last edited:
Way back in the day, I remember (so vividly!) buying The Yes Album after seeing them on a UK TV show called Sounding Out. The third LP I ever purchased! So this has been one of my most revered albums for way over 50 years - and remains my favorite by the band. My goodness - and here we have it now on Atmos. On the most basic level - what a miracle, all these years later. And the LP size of the box set, along with the original artwork - it all seems so appropriate, and takes me right back to the original purchase all those years ago. I really like the way they have 'inked' the CDs with pictures of the artists - with Tony Kaye still the main image on the double spread. Excellent...

In terms of my vote - I go 10, as the Atmos is the reason I bought this, and it is a stunning mix which is giving me so much pleasure. For the most part. I was always a bit disappointed with aspects of the original 2014 Wilson blu-ray surround mix of this album. It was overall a wonderful experience - but the start of Yours Is No Disgrace with guitar in front center, and organ across the backs, never quite worked for me. And the same at the end of Starship Trooper - the front/back version of the climactic guitar solos didn't quite hit the mark in the way the old stereo did. On the Atmos, both those bits now sound amazing! More distinctive separation, more power behind the various elements, and terrific presence at those key moments. I love it! Not a replication of the original stereo, but somehow in that spirit entirely. And much more so than the 5.1 mix. And that middle section of Perpetual Change - with the swirling version of one part, and the increasing intensity of the counterpoint? Wow - just brilliant! And I think the front-centric Atmos version of Clap (with concert ambience all around) is a better choice than the fuller 'fake surround ' on the 5.1. But both are great to compare - of course.

However, along the way, I'd go from being super-impressed with the Atmos mix to feeling just a little underwhelmed with the presentation of the grouped voices in e.g. Disgrace and Perpetual Change (around the 'There you are' lyrics). Those 'choral' responses to Anderson's main bits sounded somehow a bit too recessed. I prefer the more 'right there' experience of those elements on the 5.1 version - and the original stereo. And some of Howe's flourishes on Disgrace around the "Battleships' lyrics also sounded a bit less sharp than they did on 5.1. If I was a mixing genius, I'd merge what I feel is best about both mixes. Of course, I am glad to have both! (Also - I'm intrigued about the revisions Wilson made to the 5.1 mix on (quote) "one or two tracks" - which he chooses not to specify in his note about this edition on Page 3 of the booklet. I haven't been able to spot them yet - any ideas?)

Maybe I'm just getting a bit jaded, or harder to please? When Wilson's 2014 set of the Yes Album came out, I had just installed my surround set-up and so it was massively exciting to be getting all these wonderful albums by Yes released around that period.

Beyond the Atmos mix, some other comments: To my surprise once again, given how highly I value Anderson's singing as an integral instrument for the band, I love the instrumental version of the album on CD2 (already available on the 2014 Blu-ray). Throughout it is very rewarding to hear elements of music that were hidden or secondary before. A real treat in fact. Shame it isn't in high def surround on the new blu-ray - but we do have it on the 2014 disc.

Other gripes? Don't need the redundancies between the 2014 and 2023 sets. Don't need the LP. Don't need the very disappointing live Disc 4. Is that the best that they could do? Shame there is still no Bruford era live Starship Trooper. The rarities and mono versions on Disc 3? Meh for the most part - but do appreciate the extended A Venture (though I already have that on the earlier Wilson set) and early take of All Good People - that one is very interesting. Struggled to get the booklet out of and then back into the LP holder - it kept catching on the inner 'circle' of the LP sleeve. Tougher than it should be to get the LP in and out. And the 'holder' for the blu-ray? Seriously - who designs these things?

And, being super-pedantic, on page 3 of the booklet with the note from Steven Wilson, why a picture of the band from the Moraz era - rather than with Kaye? In fact, the 'film clip' pics on the inside covers are also from the wrong era. Ah well...

I wondered about giving it a 9 rather than a 10 given some of my comments above. But when I consider other releases to which I have given top marks, I know that I'll be pulling this one out and enjoying it more frequently than most of the others - and that anticipated pleasure factor is definitely worth the extra point. Rating is tricky of course - and, unsurprisingly, my expectations of this set are inevitably higher than for material I know less well. So, to be fair, at least in my own frame of reference, a 10 it is...

Last edited:
On November 22nd, I put in a pair of earbuds (Nuheara IQbuds2 MAX) and played the new Steven Wilson Mix on Apple Music and while listening to "Yours Is No Disgrace" I was instantly blown away and switched to my Airpods Max headset because they give me the best spatial audio and listened to the entire album. I was so impressed that I went online and bought the boxset right away! The next day, I listened to the album on my Apple TV 4K and connected my Woojer Vest S3 and the Apple Airpods Max and had the very best experience in my life while listening to just audio! Wow, what a rush! So far, this is the best Atmos mix I've ever heard!!!

Side note: On the 2014 Blu-ray of The Yes Album I am able to use 'audio' button on my Oppo 205 remote to switch between 5.1 LCPM, 5.1 DTS, and Stereo versions while staying at the exact point of the track I was playing. Nice option to aid 'live' in-the-moment comparisons. When I try that on the new Blu-ray, the Oppo screen interface says 'not allowed by disc'. So when I want to change e.g. from atmos to 5.1, it takes me back to the start of the track that I'm currently playing. No biggie, of course - but anyone know why?

Oh and those 2014 Yes Blu-rays sure contained a LOT of material - so many versions and extras all on one disc. Rather wonderful, in fact! Wonder why they didn't include the CD material on the Blu-ray this time around?

However - SO HAPPY they released the Atmos version of this incredible album on Blu-ray! And didn't emulate e.g. the mess with the more recent Beatles releases with Amtos only on streaming...

Way back in the day, I remember (so vividly!) buying The Yes Album after seeing them on a UK TV show called Sounding Out. The third LP I ever purchased! So this has been one of my most revered albums for way over 50 years - and remains my favorite by the band. My goodness - and here we have it now on Atmos. On the most basic level - what a miracle, all these years later. And the LP size of the box set, along with the original artwork - it all seems so appropriate, and takes me right back to the original purchase all those years ago. I really like the way they have 'inked' the CDs with pictures of the artists - with Tony Kaye still the main image on the double spread. Excellent...

In terms of my vote - I go 10, as the Atmos is the reason I bought this, and it is a stunning mix which is giving me so much pleasure. For the most part. I was always a bit disappointed with aspects of the original 2014 Wilson blu-ray surround mix of this album. It was overall a wonderful experience - but the start of Yours Is No Disgrace with guitar in front center, and organ across the backs, never quite worked for me. And the same at the end of Starship Trooper - the front/back version of the climactic guitar solos didn't quite hit the mark in the way the old stereo did. On the Atmos, both those bits now sound amazing! More distinctive separation, more power behind the various elements, and terrific presence at those key moments. I love it! Not a replication of the original stereo, but somehow in that spirit entirely. And much more so than the 5.1 mix. And that middle section of Perpetual Change - with the swirling version of one part, and the increasing intensity of the counterpoint? Wow - just brilliant! And I think the front-centric Atmos version of Clap (with concert ambience all around) is a better choice than the fuller 'fake surround ' on the 5.1. But both are great to compare - of course.

However, along the way, I'd go from being super-impressed with the Atmos mix to feeling just a little underwhelmed with the presentation of the grouped voices in e.g. Disgrace and Perpetual Change (around the 'There you are' lyrics). Those 'choral' responses to Anderson's main bits sounded somehow a bit too recessed. I prefer the more 'right there' experience of those elements on the 5.1 version - and the original stereo. And some of Howe's flourishes on Disgrace around the "Battleships' lyrics also sounded a bit less sharp than they did on 5.1. If I was a mixing genius, I'd merge what I feel is best about both mixes. Of course, I am glad to have both! (Also - I'm intrigued about the revisions Wilson made to the 5.1 mix on (quote) "one or two tracks" - which he chooses not to specify in his note about this edition on Page 3 of the booklet. I haven't been able to spot them yet - any ideas?)

Maybe I'm just getting a bit jaded, or harder to please? When Wilson's 2014 set of the Yes Album came out, I had just installed my surround set-up and so it was massively exciting to be getting all these wonderful albums by Yes released around that period.

Beyond the Atmos mix, some other comments: To my surprise once again, given how highly I value Anderson's singing as an integral instrument for the band, I love the instrumental version of the album on CD2 (already available on the 2014 Blu-ray). Throughout it is very rewarding to hear elements of music that were hidden or secondary before. A real treat in fact. Shame it isn't in high def surround on the new blu-ray - but we do have it on the 2014 disc.

Other gripes? Don't need the redundancies between the 2014 and 2023 sets. Don't need the LP. Don't need the very disappointing live Disc 4. Is that the best that they could do? Shame there is still no Bruford era live Starship Trooper. The rarities and mono versions on Disc 3? Meh for the most part - but do appreciate the extended A Venture (though I already have that on the earlier Wilson set) and early take of All Good People - that one is very interesting. Struggled to get the booklet out of and then back into the LP holder - it kept catching on the inner 'circle' of the LP sleeve. Tougher than it should be to get the LP in and out. And the 'holder' for the blu-ray? Seriously - who designs these things?

And, being super-pedantic, on page 3 of the booklet with the note from Steven Wilson, why a picture of the band from the Moraz era - rather than with Kaye? In fact, the 'film clip' pics on the inside covers are also from the wrong era. Ah well...

I wondered about giving it a 9 rather than a 10 given some of my comments above. But when I consider other releases to which I have given top marks, I know that I'll be pulling this one out and enjoying it more frequently than most of the others - and that anticipated pleasure factor is definitely worth the extra point. Rating is tricky of course - and, unsurprisingly, my expectations of this set are inevitably higher than for material I know less well. So, to be fair, at least in my own frame of reference, a 10 it is...
Oops - was just reminded on another thread focused on this SDE release (Note by SJB #526 on the pre-release thread) that there is NO live Starship Trooper with Bruford from this era - as the band didn't add it to the concert playlist until after Bill left! Ah well...

A 10 for me.

Not much to add to what’s been said. Classic album by one of the best Atmos mixers in the biz. I think we got what we all hoped for. (Minus a standalone Bluray.)

If I had any niggles, one would be Clap. Personally I would prefer to hear some of the guitar in the other speakers and not just ambient audience. I can understand why Wilson mixed it that way and accept that it’s a challenging situation for that song. It just kind of pulls me out of the Atmos experience.

It also would have been nice if the other extra CD content could have been put on the Bluray just of the sake of having it all handy there.

Anyway, bring on Fragile.

A 10 for me.

Not much to add to what’s been said. Classic album by one of the best Atmos mixers in the biz. I think we got what we all hoped for. (Minus a standalone Bluray.)

If I had any niggles, one would be Clap. Personally I would prefer to hear some of the guitar in the other speakers and not just ambient audience. I can understand why Wilson mixed it that way and accept that it’s a challenging situation for that song. It just kind of pulls me out of the Atmos experience.

It also would have been nice if the other extra CD content could have been put on the Bluray just of the sake of having it all handy there.

Anyway, bring on Fragile.
Take your point on Clap. What do you make of Clap on the 5.1 mix - with more of a wrap around sound stage? I like them both - but think I prefer the atmos version in terms of how this track should sound in its own context - as it really is just the one instrument and a live recording at that too. But I agree, the mix sounds a bit odd in the contrast to its two “bookend” atmos tracks…

Take your point on Clap. What do you make of Clap on the 5.1 mix - with more of a wrap around sound stage? I like them both - but think I prefer the atmos version in terms of how this track should sound in its own context - as it really is just the one instrument and a live recording at that too. But I agree, the mix sounds a bit odd in the contrast to its two “bookend” atmos tracks…
Great thought. Just got it today and only spent time with the Atmos a few times this afternoon. I’ll give the 5.1 a listen next time and see.

This was a lot more than I expected. (And I expect a lot from everyone involved in a project like this!)

The mix both respects the original stereo mix and gets adventurous beyond it. Steve Wilson usually puts great effort into respecting original mix vibe and not reinventing things for good or bad. It seems like he pulled off doing both this time!

The usual question with an Atmos release might be if the mix really needs 12 channels or could have accomplished the same thing in 5.1. The 12 channel mix here, like the recent KC Larks' Tongues mix absolutely requires a 12 channel system and could not be reproduced with 'merely' 5.1! If you are looking for Atmos mixes that justify expanding your sound system, this is one of them!

I really wasn't expecting the pronounced use of the height channels for Steve Howe's guitar parts dancing around the room throughout!

Wilson has a mix aesthetic going in these 12 channel mixes now (same with Larks') that uses the dynamic range of the system to reveal close up detail and low level dynamics while keeping the mix perspective. This isn't just extra panning with extra channels! You wouldn't ever be able to do something like this with 5 speakers. Turn the volume up and your listening room really becomes the studio sound stage. The instruments are RIGHT THERE!

As wild as this mix is it also actually follows the vibe of the stereo original a little closer than the first 5.1 remix in balances throughout. That said, I love the extra extended liberties he took this time around with the fade outs in Starship Trooper and A Venture even beyond the 5.1 remix!

One thing I still like in that 1st 5.1 mix though is the boosted bass part in Starship Trooper "Worm" before the guitar solo comes in. This is a deviation from the original mix and it's awesome! This new 7.1.4 mix is definitive though.

Back