HiRez Poll Morrison, Van - MOONDANCE [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Van Morrison - MOONDANCE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new Blu-Ray Audio edition of the classic album "Moondance" from Van Morrison.
Originally remixed in 5.1 surround by Elliot Scheiner, that 5.1 surround mix was originally released in 2013 as part of a 4 CD/Blu-Ray Audio deluxe edition.
Now this Blu-Ray audio edition features a brand new Dolby Atmos Mix from Steven Wilson alongside Elliot Scheiner's original 5.1 surround mix.

(y) :) (n)

VanM_MoonDance_BD.png

Classic album... Fantastic tunes... And I think the new SW Atmos mix is really good! But... Do you know, I think I actually prefer the original Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix... The Atmos mix has a kind of "wet" sound to it? As brilliant as the mix is - the 5.1 mix has a lot more punch to it... Sound wise? Just my opinion.. I will still vote 10. What a great album/release... 🙂

Classic album... Fantastic tunes... And I think the new SW Atmos mix is really good! But... Do you know, I think I actually prefer the original Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix... The Atmos mix has a kind of "wet" sound to it? As brilliant as the mix is - the 5.1 mix has a lot more punch to it... Sound wise? Just my opinion.. I will still vote 10. What a great album/release... 🙂
Well I've got to take back slightly what I said. The SW Atmos mix is far better and more involved than the previous 'already excellent' 5.1 mix... :rolleyes: There's some really clever moments throughout the album where the music kind of sweeps around the room, including up to the heights. I still do think it's a bit more wet sounding compared to the punchier sound of the 5.1 but it's less so if you crank it...

Would love it if Steven Wilson did Wavelength / Veedon Fleece in Atmos. I think Astral Weeks might be a bit too sparse of a recording for a great Atmos mix? But I'm sure Steven could work some magic with it...

Last edited:
Well I've got to take back slightly what I said. The SW Atmos mix is far better and more involved than the previous 5.1 mix... :rolleyes: There's some really clever moments throughout the album where the music kind of sweeps around the room, including up to the heights. I still do think it's a bit more wet sounding compared to the punchier sound of the 5.1 but it's less so if you crank it...

Would love it if Steven Wilson did Wavelength / Veedon Fleece in Atmos. I think Astral Weeks might be a bit too sparse of a recording for a great Atmos mix? But I'm sure Steven could work some magic with it...
I don't have an Atmos set up, so can someone tell me how that new mix sounds in 5.1? I have the old Scheiner 5.1 bluray, and that's a shiner for me.

I don't have an Atmos set up, so can someone tell me how that new mix sounds in 5.1? I have the old Scheiner 5.1 bluray, and that's a shiner for me.
I never had the old Scheiner Blu-ray so this version was a no brainer for me. The Atmos on my 5.1 system, all the instruments sounded veiled and distant to me. Switching to the 5.1, the stuff in the rears just leaps right out at you and the drums have a better soundstage. So my vote goes to the 5.1. For the release as a whole it deserves nothing more than a 10 though.

The Atmos on my 5.1 system, all the instruments sounded veiled and distant to me. Switching to the 5.1, the stuff in the rears just leaps right out at you and the drums have a better soundstage.
The 5.1 mix is definitely somewhat drier and louder (maybe a bit brighter too?), so that could account for the increase in perceived 'punch'. However, when comparing the two versions, I find that the drier sound kind of robs the album of some of its warmth and character. I think the horn parts in particular were intended to have a kind of ambient mystical quality, whereas the 5.1 approach does away with that subtlety. I'm not saying the 5.1 mix is bad at all, it's just a different presentation and the new Atmos seems truer to the old stereo sound. I haven't tried listening to the Atmos in 5.1 though...

The 5.1 mix is definitely somewhat drier and louder (maybe a bit brighter too?), so that could account for the increase in perceived 'punch'. However, when comparing the two versions, I find that the drier sound kind of robs the album of some of its warmth and character. I think the horn parts in particular were intended to have a kind of ambient mystical quality, whereas the 5.1 approach does away with that subtlety. I'm not saying the 5.1 mix is bad at all, it's just a different presentation and the new Atmos seems truer to the old stereo sound. I haven't tried listening to the Atmos in 5.1 though...
I don’t know the original stereo mix all that well so that may be why I prefer the 5.1. I did a very cursory listen to the Atmos so maybe I need to spend some more time with it, and I’m sure it sounds completely different with an actual Atmos setup. Either way I’m happy to have both mixes lossless on blu-ray, along with the added bonus of the original mix, SW stereo remix and instrumental remixes! A fantastic release and well worth the ~30$ I paid for it.

I never had the old Scheiner Blu-ray so this version was a no brainer for me. The Atmos on my 5.1 system, all the instruments sounded veiled and distant to me. Switching to the 5.1, the stuff in the rears just leaps right out at you and the drums have a better soundstage. So my vote goes to the 5.1. For the release as a whole it deserves nothing more than a 10 though.
Yes I found the same. I have a 5.1 set up but the Atmos doesn’t translate in the downmix at all. Solos are missing or inaudible in places.

It’s funny - I sometimes think Atmos mixes in 5.1 sound better than Atmos in Atmos or 5.1 in 5.1 (when all are offered on a disc)
Wondering if anyone else has experienced that…or if it because my height speakers are in the front, which is not ideal…🤔

Just amazing what Steve has managed to achieve with his Atmos mix.
I think even he has surpassed his own natural brilliance, in bringing classic albums alive, this one is fantastic 😍

I do wonder if Van has any input or even heard his subliminal album in Atmos?

Fog Horns are loud and clear...
"I say, I say , I say dere boy", it's a plank smacking 10

PS : Foghorn Leghorn, is my favourite character in Looney Tunes. 😁

When I purchased the original deluxe edition box set, I thought I was alone in hating the 2013 DTS 5.1 mix. I simply couldn't understand why piano chords and guitar strums were isolated to the rear channels, with a relatively weak vocal in the centre channel - not conducive to an immersive listening experience at all. It was particularly jarring on the "Moondance" track. The odd separations sounded the same on three different home theatre systems and sounded just as bad on a calibrated system, as on an uncalibrated system. I've hardly ever played this mix during the last 10 years.

Thus, when I received the new Atmos mix on the blu-ray today, I immediately tested track number two on the blu-ray audio, using a 7.1 fold down (I don't have Atmos). This is what it should sound like! Van Morrison's voice is now blended sophisticatedly with the instruments in the rear and surround channels. When sitting in the sweet spot in the centre, it sounds beautiful. If I sit closer to the rear, or side channels, it still is very pleasant. The horns and saxophones on Come Running are still very prominent, but no longer as jarring as on the old mix.

The deluxe box will now only be used to show my friends how an inferior audio immersive mix can ruin an album. The new Atmos mix receives a 10. A stone cold classic, a beautiful mix, perfect fidelity. Superb.

When I purchased the original deluxe edition box set, I thought I was alone in hating the 2013 DTS 5.1 mix. I simply couldn't understand why piano chords and guitar strums were isolated to the rear channels, with a relatively weak vocal in the centre channel - not conducive to an immersive listening experience at all. It was particularly jarring on the "Moondance" track. The odd separations sounded the same on three different home theatre systems and sounded just as bad on a calibrated system, as on an uncalibrated system. I've hardly ever played this mix during the last 10 years.

Thus, when I received the new Atmos mix on the blu-ray today, I immediately tested track number two on the blu-ray audio, using a 7.1 fold down (I don't have Atmos). This is what it should sound like! Van Morrison's voice is now blended sophisticatedly with the instruments in the rear and surround channels. When sitting in the sweet spot in the centre, it sounds beautiful. If I sit closer to the rear, or side channels, it still is very pleasant. The horns and saxophones on Come Running are still very prominent, but no longer as jarring as on the old mix.

The deluxe box will now only be used to show my friends how an inferior audio immersive mix can ruin an album. The new Atmos mix receives a 10. A stone cold classic, a beautiful mix, perfect fidelity. Superb.
Great review and comparison - you are clearly having a great time with this new release! And on a few early listens, my reaction is completely the reverse - amazing how different our experiences can be, right? I love the 2013 5.1 - a lot! The clarity, the balance, the separation, the blend, and the cohesion of the music works so well for me - and I love the positioning of that incredible voice in the overall mix. Totally immersive for me. On the 7.1 fold down, some of the instruments do sound " veiled and distant" (quoting bookofsaturdays above) to me. The first example is the piano on "And It Stoned Me" - especially when it gets to the solo bit. It is just isn't 'there', as it most definitely is on the 2013 5.1. It is way down in the mix on the new version. And the voice now sounds like 'double-stereo' - and a bit out of balance in the overall soundstage. I have played around on my down-mix selections - but it doesn't make any difference.

Oh and just as a comparison, I think the 7.1 downmix of the atmos version of the 2023 The Yes Album IS overall a better mix/immersive experience than the 2014 5.1 version. Not in every single way - but overall. The reverse experience than my encounters with Moondance.

The first example is the piano on "And It Stoned Me" - especially when it gets to the solo bit. It is just isn't 'there', as it most definitely is on the 2013 5.1. It is way down in the mix on the new version. And the voice now sounds like 'double-stereo' - and a bit out of balance in the overall soundstage. I have played around on my down-mix selections - but it doesn't make any difference.
The piano throughout "And It Stoned Me" is clearly audible mostly in the rear left speaker for me, though I will concede that the solo during "Brand New Day" is mixed lower than I'd like. As for the vocals, I hear them like 70% in the center channel and 30% in the sides (not at all in the fronts or rears) - I really love that effect, it still sounds like his voice is coming from upfront but there's a real sense of depth that I don't get from the 5.1 mix.

The piano throughout "And It Stoned Me" is clearly audible mostly in the rear left speaker for me, though I will concede that the solo during "Brand New Day" is mixed lower than I'd like. As for the vocals, I hear them like 70% in the center channel and 30% in the sides (not at all in the fronts or rears) - I really love that effect, it still sounds like his voice is coming from upfront but there's a real sense of depth that I don't get from the 5.1 mix.
Great! I plan to sit down with it all again tomorrow. Overall, isn’t it amazing that in 2023 we can compare experiences of TWO surround mixes of this incredible album?!

What I've listened to sounds great, but I haven't had the chance to just sit and take the whole thing in. I really like that they have all the different mixes on this BR. SW is good at advocating for as much stuff as possible on his mixes.

I rarely rate anything a 10, but I can't imagine this Atmos mix of Moondance can be any better! I waited 6 months for this disc and I am thrilled to hear this album with such great fidelity and such an awesome mix. I've listened to it 3 times already today and then listened to each track in 5.1 and then in Atmos. I have nothing negative to say about the 5.1 mix. I do like the Atmos mix a lot more. It has a larger stage and seems to be a bit less aggressive than the 5.1 mix. I really dig it!

I voted an 10 on this. But not because i find this one to be better than the old 5.1 mix. I am still struggling with finding out which one i prefer. I think i have settled for being satisfied with the luxury of having both mixes on the same disc and just use them one at the time. From all the comments i see that the setup you have really makes big differences in how you react to the mix.

Back