HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - THE HARMONY CODEX [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - THE HARMONY CODEX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Strong 10! The Atmos mix is simply stunning. I think this album could be a template for presentation for those who don't know what Atmos is.
I've been listening to the album on CD since its release, so I've already gotten to know the music a bit. Initially, the album seemed inconsistent and too eclectic, but after a few listens I realized that it was great, different from the previous ones.
However, when I listened to Atmos for the first time today, I kept having the "WOW!" effect. You can hear many elements that were lost somewhere in the stereo bowl. I have the impression that Steven Wilson, when creating the music, immediately thought about the surround mix, because that's the only way to properly feel the music. I have over 40 albums mixed in Atmos, but this one tops them all. In my opinion – the world championship in Atmos mixing. Congratulations to Steven Wilson!
I recommend it to everyone who doesn't have the Blu Ray of "The Harmony Codex" yet - buy it on Amazon UK while it's still available.

You have managed to express what I could not; I agree completely. I'd like to add that Steve Wilson said in his interview with Rick Beato that he does, in fact, create music with Atmos in mind.

He's said in interviews that he finds beauty in the darkness, or at least thinks it's beautiful that he shares that deep introspection by sharing/connecting with others. It was even a between-song rant during one of his tours, think specifically before he played "Routine".

I can't imagine him or his music being anything other than what it is. It's complex, sometimes dreary, often insightful, and pointed.

Here's the monologue I was referencing... "miserable music makes me happy".

True, true. He definitely had some more uplifting music at times, such as on To the Bone. But yeah I do know that overall he likes making melancholy music. I just thought that here it was especially morose, to the point of being kind of off-putting.

You have managed to express what I could not; I agree completely. I'd like to add that Steve Wilson said in his interview with Rick Beato that he does, in fact, create music with Atmos in mind.
Watched a YouTube interview with Steven a few days ago where he stated (and I am paraphrasing here, but I'm sure it's pretty close) "I want Harmony Codex to do for Atmos what DSOTM did for stereo".

Voting 8.

I've enjoyed the streaming Atmos, Blu-ray Atmos, Harmonic Distortion CD, Atmos Instrumentals, and the book!

I think this album lacks catchy songs and is more of an abstract, soundscapy thing. So, neither a 10 or 9, for me, but a compelling listen.
I bet I'll spin it again in the future. Maybe! Maybe not!

Life in Surround Review

Voting 8.

I've enjoyed the streaming Atmos, Blu-ray Atmos, Harmonic Distortion CD, Atmos Instrumentals, and the book!

I think this album lacks catchy songs and is more of an abstract, soundscapy thing. So, neither a 10 or 9, for me, but a compelling listen.
I bet I'll spin it again in the future. Maybe! Maybe not!

Life in Surround Review

I 100% agree with your comments about abstract/soundscapy thing. It's part of what has stopped me from listening to it a lot......I mean, I've popped it in many times, bounced around the songs. Haven't found my groove with this one yet. Atmos? Yeah, superb.

Really good Atmos presentation. Currently I rank it slightly below Closure/Continuation for Atmos, but I have listened to it only three or four times in Atmos.
On the other hand... music-wise, I think I have listened to it alread 15 times or so in stereo (easier to do that any time, anywhere). Much, much, much better than his previous album. And I disagree about it not having catchy songs. I find myself with most songs going on in my mind, that prompts me to listen to it again. Rinse and repeat. =D

I find myself with most songs going on in my mind, that prompts me to listen to it again. Rinse and repeat. =D
You've also listened 15+ times, which some of us have neither time nor inclination for!
The songs would surely be more memorable with that level of repetition.
Seems like you're greatly enjoying the album, and that's great!

Harmony Codex isn't an album I would choose to listen to on a late night road trip, and none of these songs will end up on my playlist, but as a surround sound experience it's a strong 10 in my book. At times I get lost in the hypnotic beats and swirling soundscapes, and the low end is amazing. Staircase has a nice groove and is a great way to close the album. After listening, I was left wondering what Atmos could possibly add to the experience. Based on reviews I'm thinking not that much.

Harmony Codex isn't an album I would choose to listen to on a late night road trip, and none of these songs will end up on my playlist, but as a surround sound experience it's a strong 10 in my book. At times I get lost in the hypnotic beats and swirling soundscapes, and the low end is amazing. Staircase has a nice groove and is a great way to close the album. After listening, I was left wondering what Atmos could possibly add to the experience. Based on reviews I'm thinking not that much.
Well, I would not have listened to this at all if it was not in Atmos. ;)

Many dark themes in Wilsons songs over the years. I love it. I thrive on it. Maybe we're dark cousins.
Just as Jackson Browne's The Pretender, with it's stories of angst, regret, and finally of acceptance, I can go down even further into the abyss with Wilson's songs.
I love it. Some of us are perversely just born that way, I think, or shaped that way from our experiences.

I can get into any of PT's surround DVDA's and just go with the flow and create my own mental visuals. I don't have a clear favorite here, but find myself often returning to Deadwing.
I think the pinnacle of this for me in Wilson's solo albums was with his Hand. Can. Not. Erase. Followed closely by both To The Bone and The Raven That Refused To Sing.
He is, to me, a superb song writer and musician. That the man can mix is of course without debate (why, as @sjcorne related on IAA, has the man never won a grammy for surround? Who are these people, really, that decide these awards??)

Skipping forward to The Harmony Codex I find myself less paying attention to the lyrics and more on the soundscape which on first listen was a little jarring, but not uncomfortably so, until I hit a point of absorption, then embracing the well mixed album. It is not my favorite Wilson album, but neither does it disappoint.

Content=4 Mix=10 Fidelity=10 I gave it an 8.

Best sounding Atmos I've heard. It seems like an exercise in Atmos mixing though. Demo quality mix. But too much "sound effects" elements (I hope that's not too harsh). I am a huge SW fanboy but the music on here was disappointing.

It took many listens for me to decide what I think of this release (I bought the standalone blu-ray), and finally decided to vote an 8. First, the Atmos mix is undeniably stellar - a reference demo disc that certainly shows what Atmos can bring to the listening experience. But it's the actual music that I find a bit less compelling. Certainly better than The Future Bites, but not nearly as interesting to me as most of his earlier, more progressive works. Ironically the songs I ended up liking the least were the pre-release tracks Economies Of Scale and Impossible Tightrope. While I think the shorter tracks are generally more impactful, when in the right mood I do like the chill vibe of the title track and the more contemplative Staircase. For replay value, it will certainly have a popular place as a demo disc but for sheer musical enjoyment not so much. However, the good news is that this release renewed my interest in following SW's continuing musical evolution/exploration - something that would not have happened had this simply been TFB part 2.

I voted 9, based on how great I think the best songs are. A number of songs make this a must-have disc for me. If I were to base my score on the album as a whole, it would be lower.

Actual Brutal Facts, Staircase and Time Is Running Out are my favourites. I like most of the other songs for varying reasons, but I cannot help but dislike Rock Bottom.

I am very pleased that this album has so much to offer, including something so out of the ordinary as the title track. Very much looking forward to Steven's next steps!

You've also listened 15+ times, which some of us have neither time nor inclination for!
Yes. But that only happens with music I genuinely like. It most definitely wasn't the case for TFB, which I barely "know" as an album.

What I mean is that repetition stems from me liking it a lot, not the other way around (but you nailed it when you said that I'm greatly enjoying it).

Edit: I went to check on Last.FM, which I have connected to pretty much all the different players I use. I listened to the album 11 times. My 15 estimates was wrong. Still, not too bad... :LOL:

Last edited:
I gave it a 10. I have everything from his solo catalog and about everything from PT (think I'm missing some of the very early stuff). I'm an outlier that really appreciated TFB. The Atmos mix on that one is very effective and I found the societal commentary/condemnation in the lyrics engaging.

THC is probably his best Atmos mix to date. I haven't gotten to listen to it more than a handful of times. Most of the tracks I really enjoy. I've always enjoyed his songs with Ninet and really like her voice, so I'm a fan of Rock Bottom. The structure and tempo reminded me of Comfortably Numb (in a good way). Economies of Scale I found more enjoyable in Atmos as the electronic percussion doesn't have as much emphasis and lets the rest of the track shine more. The one I'm struggling to like is the title track. I enjoy the almost ambient nature of it, but the sounds playing across the top channels randomly like birds chirping in a tree pull me out of it. I'm hoping with some more time spent with it, it will grow on me. I like the rest of the album quite a bit, but I need some more time with it to pin down what kind of rating I'd give each track.

I voted an 8. The mix is excellent so no complaints there. The album takes awhile to get going in my opinion. Several tracks are standouts but on the whole i feel a bit underwhelmed. I wished it rocked more and that the keyboard driven songs had more hooks in them. Still a solid album but not up there with his finest works.

Wow, just wow! I'm blown away and at the same time I'm not surprised. I have had my first atmos listen of this album, and it's such a benchmark and demo material. Everything is perfectly and exquisitely crafted/mixed.

He knocked it out of the park once again! 10 out of 10!

Unlike many people on this thread, I'm loving the music as much as the mix.

Last edited:
Back