HiRez Poll Keane - HOPES AND FEARS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Keane - HOPES AND FEARS

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2024 reissue of Keane's 2004 debut album "Hopes and Fears."
The Blu-Ray Audio edition sold exclusively through SuperDeluxeEdition.com contains new 5.1 surround sound & Dolby Atmos mixes from David Kosten.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:
Please note that entirely different 5.1 surround mix of "Hopes and Fears" (by Nathaniel Kunkel) was released on SACD and DualDisc/DVD-Audio in 2004. This poll only concerns the 2024 Blu-Ray Audio release.

(y):) (n)

keane_green1000.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-up-to-may-10th-2024.35754/page-8#post-780046

Not a particularly layered album, so spreading it all out to the surround sound space is a bit of a difficult endeavor. I found myself wanting a bit more in terms of adventurousness, but also questioned how much more was really possible.

So, am I satisfied with this release? I'm honestly still trying to figure that out. (Listening in 7.1, for reference.)

Last edited:
Over the years, I've made it pretty clear how this is one of my all time favorite albums.

Content - 10
Fidelity - 9
Surround Mix - 9

When you think about how there are just 3 dudes in this band, there cannot be a lot going on. Yet, this Atmos mix manages to pull a few nice moments to really make this one super interesting.
The surround mix makes the most of what it can, as a result, the mix gets a 9 from me.

I guess my average is a 9. This is one of those times when you simply cannot, or shouldn't compare the surround mix of something like this to a multi-layered band like Porcupine Tree. OK fine, you can if you want. I choose not to.

This is a killer release, and I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. For me, this release will get WAY more spins than the majority of my vast arsenal of surround titles. Easily my favorite SDE release so far.

This is my first exposure to the alternative rock band KEANE from East Sussex. I had never listened to HOPES AND FEARS which won many awards in 2005 and sold millions of copies worldwide. First time listen, I was captivated by Tom Chaplin's vocals with piano and drums. The music is very pleasing for repeated listening. The new Atmos mix, 5.1 mix and 96/24 stereo mix was created by David Kosten. I enjoyed the Atmos mix and always get excited over a lossless 96/24 stereo mix. The bonus track LOVE ACTUALLY is also available in the three audio streams. This is #21 of the SDE Surround Series and I guess it's no suprise that it is currently out of stock. This work get a 10 from me and is highly recommended.

SURROUND MIX - 3
AUDIO FIDELITY - 3
CONTENT - 3
OVERALL PACKAGE - 1

In the world of audio, I try to avoid the incremental, it's a road to madness.

This one is a substantial improvement over the SACD. It's a real-deal multi-channel surround mix.

The ATMOS mix uses the 4+ tracks to great effect, creating a really nice atmospheric effect.

When you think about how there are just 3 dudes in this band, there cannot be a lot going on. Yet, this Atmos mix manages to pull a few nice moments to really make this one super interesting.
Well clearly there is some drumming going on so that makes 4 dudes :)

Plus I'm pretty sure there is some piano and synth being multi-tracked. So the mixer may have had more multi-tracks to work with than just three.

But I agree, great surround mix.

Well clearly there is some drumming going on so that makes 4 dudes :)

Plus I'm pretty sure there is some piano and synth being multi-tracked. So the mixer may have had more multi-tracks to work with than just three.

But I agree, great surround mix.
Tom Chaplin – vocals
Richard Hughes – drums
Tim Rice-Oxley – bass, keyboards, piano
Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 11.09.09 PM.png

Tom Chaplin – vocals
Richard Hughes – drums
Tim Rice-Oxley – bass, keyboards, piano
View attachment 105959
Sure, but there are at least four multi-tracks with the drums and probably more with the keyboards, synths, and backing vocals.

So the studio recording is not as sparsely layered as a three-piece band would at first appear. Lending itself to a nice atmospheric surround mix.

One of my all time favourite albums. Atmos mix is great. Like others have said there’s only so much going on to spread out on some songs. Everybody’s Changing is spectacular. This is definitely the best this album has ever sounded in my opinion. Can’t wait to see them at Radio City Music Hall in NYC in September!

Back