HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - THE HARMONY CODEX [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - THE HARMONY CODEX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new album from Steven Wilson entitled "The Harmony Codex".

There are two editions of the album that include Blu-Ray Audio discs:

The single-disc Blu-Ray Audio edition features the entire album mixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos along with two music videos.

The deluxe edition featuring 2 CDs and 1 Blu-Ray Audio disc also includes an exclusive instrumental mix of the album in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

(y):) (n)

steven-wilson_the-harmony-codex_blu-ray.png

steven-wilson_the-harmony-codex_boxset_2.png

Pre-release thread(s) for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/steven-wilson-the-harmony-codex-2023.32442/

I'm completely blown away by this release.
There are not enough words to describe the feeling of utter joy in listening to this once in a lifetime masterpiece.

I sure hope the debacle of delayed orders is sorted very soon

As everyone deserves to hear this incredible work of art.

Infinity

This is for the deluxe set.

Last edited:
I dont have my Blu-ray yet, so I will withhold voting for now, but I cannot see how this cannot be a 10/10. Traditional multi-channel mixing aside, this album is reference for how overhead channels should be done. Good lord. I'm not a SW fan boy when it comes to his solo releases, just from a music stand-point, but this is something else. One of those albums where you immediately think "this cannot be topped". Peak SW here for sure.

My only complaint (if you want to call it that), is that this album is showing me the limitations of my subwoofers. This album goes deep <30hz on some songs. I guess it's time to upgrade! :D

Have heard the Atmos mix 2 times so far and I think it is awesome! I would even say the music requires to be heard in Atmos - or at least Surround - in order to unfold. Musically, I like other SW albums like Raven, HCE, TTB more but sonically this is the shit. My new reference/demo disc in terms of Atmos music.
This can only be a 10 for the Atmos mix.

First listen finished (the bluray).
A 10 for the mix!
After two weak albums this is a stronger one now. Surely, not the old stuff, but the songs are better. 8-9 for the tracks.
And because I always vote only for the mix as other things are subjective….10!
I agree that this feels like a step above recent efforts, but not quite where he peaked several albums ago [Hand Cannot Erase being the last in the run of great albums].

This is a solid 10 mix and presentation (5.1 surround, non-atmos). There's a couple songs and moments where the otherwise excellent bass production was overpowering, not worth deducting since it doesn't ruin the listening experience. Some super immersive material that really does unfold in a surround mix, and IMO does increase appreciation for and adds depth to the compositions. I also like applauding artists for including lyrics in the stand alone bluray. I don't see why they can't/shouldn't, if their lyrics and whether the listener understands them matters at all.

Looking at the liner notes: there's some familiar and old faces in there. If this is the new trajectory for SW (forgiving the false start on Future Bites), I'm once again eager to hear the next one in 2-4 years.

Blu Ray here. My setup limits me to the 5.1 mix, which is stellar as expected. A lot of little things here and there that you catch out of the blue. It really makes me want to get an Atmos because I can tell that certain sounds are probably placed in those other speakers.

I think Atmos is making SW more creative in his 5.1 mixes too. It's hard to explain why, but it just seems like there is a place for everything on some very, very dense mixes that he has worked with lately (the last TFF album comes to mind). Whereas he takes those old mixes and fleshes them out from stereo to a similar 5.1 mix, it seems like he's taking the new stuff--whether he created it or not-- and thinking in Atmos first, then 5.1, then stereo. That's what I'm hearing anyway, but maybe it's just that he isn't restricted by a classic stereo mix and is being more adventurous with the newer surround mixes.

Oh, and this is a 10. Duh. It's also a rare SW album that you can pretty much let play and not have some part that comes on that irritates somebody in the house. It is for the most part a pretty chill and "Atmos"pheric experience.

For such disparate themes scattered about, it yet is such a satisfying, immersive experience in Atmos as apparently only Wilson can do it.
The two videos on the BD are so well done thematically and graphically.

After TFB, I was sort of worried which direction he was going. Then, over time, I gained a better appreciation of TFB, once I managed to finally get it out of my head that he is not trying to recapture PT years but moving onward. Blank slate. Closure/Continuation...eh, it's growing on me but more of a PT thing than pure Wilson.

Look. He could be like maybe the Stones playing "Last Time" at every concert (Stones just an example, not a fact). He certainly has enough songs to keep repeating, and a lot of people would be very happy if he stayed on the PT track. Not going to happen, and I finally came to terms with it, and approve.

I think marriage and children have changed his perspective on life a bit. Happens to most of us. Just one opinion, of course.

Well back to it. After 3 listens and 1 run through of the videos, I give it a 10 all around.

Gave it a Nine, But....

I am not kicking this one out of bed due to its object audio pirouettes. Some melodies resemble what I might compose if I were in A.I. mode and tasked with emulating a Steven Wilson style. Rhythmically, it brings to mind the film "White Men Can't Dance." The synthesizer drum programming is so devoid of genuine rhythm that it's almost pitiable. Brian Eno, whom I don't hold in high regard for rhythm, surpasses this. To address this rhythmical inadequacy, I recommend Steven Wilson pause his current endeavors and visit the hospice where Airto Moreira is receiving care. He says he is a always challenging himself There, he should seek musical inspiration for his future projects, using every available resource to ensure the legacy of Airto's essence is reflected in his subsequent works. For those seeking a challenge, this stands paramount. We are on the brink of losing a colossal figure in rhythmic musicality.

Gave it a Nine, But....

I am not kicking this one out of bed due to its object audio pirouettes. Some melodies resemble what I might compose if I were in A.I. mode and tasked with emulating a Steven Wilson style. Rhythmically, it brings to mind the film "White Men Can't Dance." The synthesizer drum programming is so devoid of genuine rhythm that it's almost pitiable. Brian Eno, whom I don't hold in high regard for rhythm, surpasses this. To address this rhythmical inadequacy, I recommend Steven Wilson pause his current endeavors and visit the hospice where Airto Moreira is receiving care. He says he is a always challenging himself There, he should seek musical inspiration for his future projects, using every available resource to ensure the legacy of Airto's essence is reflected in his subsequent works. For those seeking a challenge, this stands paramount. We are on the brink of losing a colossal figure in rhythmic musicality.
I ain't saying your right or you're wrong but I do admire your prose.

Have been a fan of SW since the long ago early days. I tend to be rather critical of his work, due to the fact that I hold him in such high regard as an artist. TFB left me cold .... and a number of his other releases didn't do much for me ... but hey that's Steven. When he does hit though, he knocks it out of the park. Without getting all technical about it "The Harmony Codex" is a 10 to me. First listen of the blu-ray was in 5.1 and I think it is a GREAT piece of work. A wonderful tapestry of sound that just envelops the listener. And as some others have noted the videos are awesome too.

A darkened room, some "Kool Buds" and sit back and fly away. (Note: "Kool Buds" legal in NY!)

I’ve been a big Steven Wilson fan since personally discovering his band, Porcupine Tree, in the year 2003 by purchasing their then-most recent album, In Absentia, on DVD-Audio disc. I was blown away and I am blown away again here. Having since seen both Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson in concert multiple times I continued to be impressed by his progress and versatility, as well his growing ability to produce and mix albums in surround sound, which I am a huge fan of as well.

I was not a fan of his previous album, The Future Bites, and the pop-oriented direction it went with. The Harmony Codex is different though. It’s hard to categorize the album style other than it being a Steven Wilson album, as he has his own signature sound. It’s not a heavy rocking album or a pop album, but it’s certainly a work of art with lots of melody and is a modern take on 70s progressive rock. At times, it reminded me of early Genesis. The album needs to be listened to from start to finish, and combines many elements of all his previous solo albums, as well as elements of early Porcupine Tree. As many have mentioned before, the song, Impossible Tightrope, is the incredible centerpiece of the album for me with its jazzy, progressive fusion melded with modern hard rock.

The Dolby Atmos surround mix is excellent with lots of fun action in the surrounds and height speakers. The album was also not mastered loudly either, which is nice on the ears when cranking it and not having to strain when listening. I have all of Wilson’s solo material and P-Tree albums that were released in surround sound, so I have a good baseline to work with and compare. That said, I give it an easy 10.

After being disappointed with TFB, this is a great return to form, not at his best musically but much more enjoyable, ethereal and cohesive as an album. Production wise (lots of layers, sonic scaping etc) is a work of a seasoned producer. Atmos wise, Steven has put out another engaging and stellar mix. Discrete sounds separating the layers, effects dancing across the speakers and on the last track, loved that Rotem Wilson's voices were emanating from the atmos ceiling speakers.
Musically SW is crossing to to his elder years as a musician and it shows. Musically its good but his best work as a solo artist is in his past from Insurgentes, HCE ending with To the bone. BTW Cinerama opined that this is something this is something that an AI would churn out to emulate Steven Wilson with a sprinkle of guitar solos. I can't find myself disagreeing with him. For that I had to dock a point off, a 9 from me.

Last edited:
Not sure what more I can add. Truly a reference Atmos mix. The album is solid and has some real stand-out moments. We really need to stop expecting everything SW puts out to be the best album of all time; let's give the guy a break. It's really good and does mix up a good deal of influences and ideas.

One critique I do have: does everything have to be so negative? Almost every song on the album (maybe with the exception of Rock Bottom, which was not written by him) is super pessimistic and a bit of a downer. Also I might be in the minority here, but I feel the title track is a bit too long.

EDIT: I've listened to it a few more times and I am docking a point for the authoring issues. SW needs to get on top of these; it's far from the first time and they are seemingly worse on this album (e.g., beginning of Beautiful Scarecrow missing entirely). So bizarre that he of all people keeps ending up with these authoring issues that should realistically not be a problem in this day and age.

Last edited:
Not sure what more I can add. Truly a reference Atmos mix. The album is solid and has some real stand-out moments. We really need to stop expecting everything SW puts out to be the best album of all time; let's give the guy a break. It's really good and does mix up a good deal of influences and ideas.

One critique I do have: does everything have to be so negative? Almost every song on the album (maybe with the exception of Rock Bottom, which was not written by him) is super pessimistic and a bit of a downer. Also I might be in the minority here, but I feel the title track is a bit too long.

SW's lyrics have always been weird to me, not only in his solo work but Porcupine Tree as well. But thats what makes him a great depressed artist right? :D

He's said in interviews that he finds beauty in the darkness, or at least thinks it's beautiful that he shares that deep introspection by sharing/connecting with others. It was even a between-song rant during one of his tours, think specifically before he played "Routine".

I can't imagine him or his music being anything other than what it is. It's complex, sometimes dreary, often insightful, and pointed.

Here's the monologue I was referencing... "miserable music makes me happy".

Last edited:
Strong 10! The Atmos mix is simply stunning. I think this album could be a template for presentation for those who don't know what Atmos is.
I've been listening to the album on CD since its release, so I've already gotten to know the music a bit. Initially, the album seemed inconsistent and too eclectic, but after a few listens I realized that it was great, different from the previous ones.
However, when I listened to Atmos for the first time today, I kept having the "WOW!" effect. You can hear many elements that were lost somewhere in the stereo bowl. I have the impression that Steven Wilson, when creating the music, immediately thought about the surround mix, because that's the only way to properly feel the music. I have over 40 albums mixed in Atmos, but this one tops them all. In my opinion – the world championship in Atmos mixing. Congratulations to Steven Wilson!
I recommend it to everyone who doesn't have the Blu Ray of "The Harmony Codex" yet - buy it on Amazon UK while it's still available.

Back