HiRez Poll Who, The - WHO'S NEXT [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - WHO'S NEXT

• Total voters
Just got this, so I'm gonna marinate with this for a bit before I rate it. But my initial impression is I'm thrilled to be listening to this epic album and especially all the bonus tracks in Atmos.

It was fun to hear all the extra stuff that could never escape the mix and to just have the WHO all over my room. I soloed out Daltrey's two epic screams from Won't Get Fooled Again and just WOW! Not sure if these or the ones from Love Reign o'er Me are the best, but they're all better than anyone else has ever loosed.
View attachment Daltrey Won't get fooled again.m4v

The first time (yes, i know) that play the whole album. I am not a big fan of this band (seeing i am banned surely), but "Baba..." and "Won´t get fooled..." are amazing. In this new mix i have to say that give a new opportunity to sound very clean and the surround mix is very respectful and well done. 43 minutes that gone too fast and now thinking that i need more on this. I mean, i heard other tracks like "Pinball wizard" of Tommy sunged by Elton John and i don´t know if this is because Spotify, but what a compressed mix and distorsioned audio. In this bluray can hear the drums of Keith Moon, punching and with quality. Other instruments sounds clear too. Still love the violin solo in "Baba..." and a good idea that goes to the central channel when the sequence are running through the other speakers.

Agreed, "Getting In Tune" is incredible and maybe the highlight of the main album for me. If you solo the rear surround channels in the Atmos mix, you get just the lead guitar which is pretty neat to hear on its own.
I've played the Blu-ray on two different players, and noticed the background vocals on "Getting In Tune" are not coming through. Anyone else pick up on this?

Reviewing the 5.1 mix. I can’t recall a Wilson mix where I wanted to so dramatically adjust respective channel volumes and/or EQs. Granted all of the lead vocalists sound tremendous isolated in the center channel. Roger is simply awesome. But the center channel and lead vocals overwhelm the rest. This album wants and deserves to be played loudly. I found I had to crank it to realize Pete’s power chords and bring out Moon’s superb drumming only to have to bring it down when the vocals came in. The Ox’s bass lines seem subdued as well. I’m quite familiar with this album and found flourishes I was hoping would be ear candy in multichannel distant, almost missing such as the horns at the end of My Wife. I agree with others, the bonus tracks mixes for whatever reason are quite better. I plan on upgrading the home system to Atmos with the new year, so hoping for the best. But in the Acura’s 5.1, I’ll be manning the volume control when these favorites shuffle on.

You can tell the upmixes on this the change from the tame Bargain to the precision of Love Ain't for Keeping, night and day as good as the upmixes are. My favorite Who album and a plethora of extras in immersive audio the buzzword of theses days. Because of the upmixes 2 off because of the extras plus 1 can't quite make this a 10 but a strong 9

You can tell the upmixes on this the change from the tame Bargain to the precision of Love Ain't for Keeping, night and day as good as the upmixes are.
Yeah, the different in the low end especially between those two songs is pretty striking. It's worth noting that "Bargain" is the only upmixed track though (your post makes it sound like there's more than one).

You can tell the upmixes on this the change from the tame Bargain to the precision of Love Ain't for Keeping, night and day as good as the upmixes are. My favorite Who album and a plethora of extras in immersive audio the buzzword of theses days. Because of the upmixes 2 off because of the extras plus 1 can't quite make this a 10 but a strong 9
When I listen to this disc, I start in Atmos, switch to stereo for Bargain, then back to Atmos for everything else. Bargain in stereo is a much better listen than the upmix.

Update: Deal seems dead/sold out (1 pm same day as post below)… For anyone who sees this later, cold comfort: I snoozed and losed, too.

For those still interested but financially priced out a third party seller (OxfordshireEngland) on Amazon has it for $113 right now (+ $4 shipping to US). Projected delivery 2/15-3/4. Not Prime so YMMV, etc. I *believe* I’ve purchased from them before and folks I trust in the thread linked below vouch for the seller.

(Mods, if this belongs somewhere else or is inappropriate, please delete/move with my apologies… when I saw this deal posted at SH.tv I wanted folks here to know because it may not last… and this seemed like a logical place.)

Last edited:
At long last! Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new reissue of the Who's classic album "Who's Next".
Generally regarded as one of the greatest albums ever released, this 1971 album has been newly expanded into a 10CD/Blu-Ray Audio box set.
The Blu-Ray Audio disc features the entire 1971 album remixed in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson, but that's not all!
Steven Wilson has also remixed an additional 14 bonus tracks in 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos too!

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

81Rd+1mlPZL._SL1400_.jpg

91hfvrgVR3L._SL1500_.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...5-1-mixes-confirmed.31444/page-31#post-711329
My wife surprised me with this for my birthday today. The atmos mix is fantastic and I would have probably rated the set a 10 if it weren't for the internal packaging goofs that resulted in damage to the photograph and one of the booklets from the pin set. The hardcover books are ok. But back to the music, I can't wait to listen to the CDs. I am looking forward to the concerts. This was one one of my favorite albums growing up and so I have at least 3 versions of it. If anybody knows if it's possible to contact the manufacturer for replacement items due to damage, I would be interested in getting a couple replacements. LONG LIVE ROCK!

Attachments

• 20240202_125323.jpg
    20240202_125323.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_124841.jpg
    20240202_124841.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
My first impression was skewed by the stupid upmix. And then the drums and bass being a little back in the mix to start. Bargain comes in and sounds side channel heavy in a weird way. The next track comes in a little side heavy - which in hindsight only sounds this way coming on after the upmix... and the first impression was formed.

Turn this up to more proper Who volume levels first of all! (With caution as needed. Not responsible for hearing or equipment loss, etc etc.)
Skip the upmix! (Bummer on that.)

This is a really great welcome remix!
I think the drums and bass being back in the mix follows the original mix. It makes more sense listening at 'rock music' appropriate levels for sure.

There might be some moments where the parts in the heights are surrounds are a very discrete presentation and that contrasts with the drums and bass a little scrunched together up front and mixed back. I'll still take the Atmos mix!

The bonus tracks and their production are just over the top no matter who you are.

When I listen to this disc, I start in Atmos, switch to stereo for Bargain, then back to Atmos for everything else. Bargain in stereo is a much better listen than the upmix.

Bargain comes in and sounds side channel heavy in a weird way. The next track comes in a little side heavy - which in hindsight only sounds this way coming on after the upmix... and the first impression was formed.

Yes, I really do not not like the Atmos upmix of Bargain at all. It sounds like something went very sideways (Pun intended, Jim) in Penteo when Wilson made this Atmos upmix. I prefer the 5.1 Penteo upmix to the Atmos upmix, but it probably would have been better left to the stereo album only.

8. why? overpriced set. i would want to decide to buy standalone blurays not being forced to order huge giant massive boxes maybe just for the atmos content...but speaking of the music...2nd track kills a bit the excitement after the 1st track (sounds to me like an upmix), but for the rest it is throughout a pleasing listen; also the bonus tracks on cd are worth it..."teenage wasteland" being the most interesting

Update: Deal seems dead/sold out (1 pm same day as post below)… For anyone who sees this later, cold comfort: I snoozed and losed, too.

For those still interested but financially priced out a third party seller (OxfordshireEngland) on Amazon has it for $113 right now (+ $4 shipping to US). Projected delivery 2/15-3/4. Not Prime so YMMV, etc. I *believe* I’ve purchased from them before and folks I trust in the thread linked below vouch for the seller.

(Mods, if this belongs somewhere else or is inappropriate, please delete/move with my apologies… when I saw this deal posted at SH.tv I wanted folks here to know because it may not last… and this seemed like a logical place.)

[update: deal is dead… but since it came back a second time maybe there’ll be a third.]

This $113+$4 s/h deal is back. (Amazon link - non-affiliate or anything)

Posters in that thread who ordered it the last time have reported that, though it wasn’t fast, the sets arrived well-packed and in good shape.

I just ordered one so fingers-crossed.

Credit to this post at The Other Forum™

Last edited:
This $113+$4 s/h deal is back. (Amazon link)

Posters in that thread who ordered it the last time have reported that, though it wasn’t fast, the sets arrived well-packed and in good shape.

If I could only have a crystal ball. I got it for 200 and never thought it would go to almost $100. Now that's a good price!

This $113+$4 s/h deal is back. (Amazon link - non-affiliate or anything)

1709860366623.png
Movie Mars must have realized the price was too low.

Back