• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Free "Canned Wheat" Guess Who Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
One of the first Q8 tapes I ever found at a thrift store was "Canned Wheat" by The Guess Who. And the first time I played it, at some point the tape stuck to the capstan and several inches were pulled from the shell and accordioned. I realize that I'm never going to go to the trouble of opening the shell and fixing this tape (it's on RCA - ugh!). So the first person to PM me with their mailing address can have this tape free of charge.

J. D.

Howdy, I'd be interested. I have one or double Q8's if yo want to swap. My mailing address is in Canada which is kind of appropriate for aGuess Who. Is the offer still open or just in the states

ken

Do a search, the RCA Q8's are pretty simple to open if you know the trick.

Just a general word of warning about playing back ANY 8-track tape. The two main areas of failure in an old 8-track cartridge are in the foil splice that holds the continuous loop of audio tape together (and also acts as a triggering device to let the machine know to change tracks) and the foam pressure pads many 8-tracks have. RCA does not have the pressure pad issue because it has a copper clip with felt pads instead of the standard foam pad. The foam pads rot with age and need to be replaced. Why? Because a bad pad will typically cause horrible playback; mushy sound, crosstalk between channels, etc.
But the bigger danger is the foil splice. The adhesive that once adhered the splice to the magnetic tape turns to dust with time. And after sitting in a closet for 25 or 30 years, if you pop that tape into a player without first checking and most likely, replacing that splice, the same thing will happen time after time. The tape plays until a track change, the splice breaks and the tape wraps itself around the capstan until it finally grinds to a halt, accordioning and destroying a bunch of tape. All this is entirely preventable by doing the maintainence BEFORE ever playing the tape. There are plenty of sites online that explain the procedure step by step.
The typical statement after this happens is, "my tape player ate my tape," implying that the problem was an equipment issue. No, 99.9 times out of 100, if you ruin a cart from wrapping the tape around the capstan, the problem happened because you did not take the time to make the repair before playing the tape.
Elementary information for most of us, but for folks who are new to the wonderful world of quadraphonics and 8-track cartridges, it may save you some grief.

Last edited:
>>There are plenty of sites online that explain the procedure step by step. >>

I've always wondered how one can access the splice without playing the tape to bring the spice out of the wound tape?

J. D.

I've always wondered how one can access the splice without playing the tape to bring the spice out of the wound tape?

If the splice has not yet broken and you don't have any tension problems with the tape (another common problem with old 8-tracks) then here's what you do.

1. Take a look at the track listing for a particular track, for instance, Track 1. Pick a track where the song actually ends at the end of the track rather than fading out and continuing on the next track.

2. Let's say you picked Track 1 of a Beatles tape and the last song was Let It Be.

3. Pop the tape in the player and play track one all the way through to the end of the Let It Be song. You are in no danger of ruining the tape until it reaches that splice point.

4. As soon as the song is over and you hear silence, immediately eject the tape from the machine.

5. You have now stopped the tape a short distance from the foil splice. Now, using your finger, manually roll the tape forward by pressing your finger against the rubber roller on the right side of the cart. Hand roll the tape until the foil splice appears. Be patient, not all tracks are the same length and several inches of tape might need to be rolled out before reaching the splice.

6. Once you see the splice, center it at the opening at the top of the cart. Now, using something like a pencil, pull out just a bit of tape so you have access to the underside of the splice as well as the foil surface.

7. Test the foil splice to see if it easily peels off. Sometimes they literally fall off, sometimes they are barely still adhering and you might need to pull it back with a fingernail, sometimes they are still adhered solidly. If it is still sticking firmly, don't peel it off.

8. If the foil splice falls off or is easily removed, cut a piece of foil splicing tape roughly the same length as the orginal piece and replace it.

9. To be extra safe I always also put a piece of audio splicing tape on the underside of the splice opposite the foil splice. That way if for some unlikely reason the splice were to come off in the future your tape would still be intact and would not wind around your capstan. You'd still need to replace the foil splice in this case because a tape will not change tracks without the splice.

10. Once you have completed your repair use the same finger rolling technique on the roller to take up the excess tape you pulled out of the cart.

Audio splicing tape is made by 3M and is sort of a milky white color. Foil splicing tape is becoming much rarer and harder to find, but you should be able to find some on Ebay or other online sources. I have not updated my old 8-track website for years, but most of the information should still be pertinent. There are instructions for all kinds of tape repairs as well as resources you can try for finding repair materials. http://keepontrackin.bravepages.com/answers.htm

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back