Gaucho - DTS CD or SACD/DVD-A Which mix do you prefer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Prefer the DVD-A/SACD Mix OR DTS CD?

• OR, Do You Prefer the DTS CD Mix?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Quad Linda

Staff member
Steely Dan's Gaucho was their last album before their 1980 breakup. Do you prefer the mix on the DTS CD or the mix on the 5.1 SACD/DVD-A? I'll go with the latter, since there's much more happening in the rears and it has a more solid feel.

41SqkiixEBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

steely_dan_gaucho_saCD_a.jpg

I only have the Hi-Res (both DVDA & SACD, I love the album & 5.1 mix so much!).

How else does the DTS differ, Linda?

I'm sure I read somewhere DF's vocals are mixed more discretely in the centre channel on the older DTS mix and DF wasn't thrilled about his vocals being so exposed when he heard it.. so ES apparently remixed it for the SACD & DVDA, with less of a spotlight on Don's lead vox. Could be wrong.. could just be one of those kooky urban myths!?

I'll probably end up getting the DTS CD someday, just for fun.. but the Hi-Res is sooooooooo good, I doubt it can be topped..!

The DTS CD is very sparse in the rears. It is surround, though I can see why it was remixed for SACD 5.1/DVD-A.

I only have the Hi-Res (both DVDA & SACD, I love the album & 5.1 mix so much!).

How else does the DTS differ, Linda?

I'm sure I read somewhere DF's vocals are mixed more discretely in the centre channel on the older DTS mix and DF wasn't thrilled about his vocals being so exposed when he heard it.. so ES apparently remixed it for the SACD & DVDA, with less of a spotlight on Don's lead vox. Could be wrong.. could just be one of those kooky urban myths!?

I'll probably end up getting the DTS CD someday, just for fun.. but the Hi-Res is sooooooooo good, I doubt it can be topped..!

I own all three, but prefer the DVD-A. The DVD-A is still available at the Concord, CA., Fry's. This is an excellent title.

The DTS CD mix isn't bad, in fact for a DTS CD its great - and there is stuff happening in the rears, but the DVD-A is better sonically - I only listen to the DVD-A now....

Anyone notice how the picture on the cover is inverted on the dts version?

I sold all of mine (dvd-audio, sacd, dts) and just stuck with the SHM SACD. Yea, I know, it's only stereo.

Anyone notice how the picture on the cover is inverted on the dts version?

I sold all of mine (dvd-audio, sacd, dts) and just stuck with the SHM SACD. Yea, I know, it's only stereo.

You are very observent. The art work on the dvd-a copy is the same as the sacd. You are like me, I look for stuff thats "off" or different. Took a course once on film and to this day I sit and tear movies apart, not puposly either, just because I was taught to look for the, (errors) in material.

Many of us here are a bit off!!

You are very observent. The art work on the dvd-a copy is the same as the sacd. You are like me, I look for stuff thats "off" or different. Took a course once on film and to this day I sit and tear movies apart, not puposly either, just because I was taught to look for the, (errors) in material.

A post I wrote on the SH forum back in 03
Has anyone else noticed that there is missing percussion parts on the new mix?? The one that stands out like a sore thumb to me is on "My Rival" 14 seconds in there should be tom-toms it's on the 2 ch mix and the cd layer but not on the M/C :confused:

I'll have to A/B it to the DTS cd but I heard a few other things that made me go "Something is missing".

Elliot did the same on the Nightfly DVD-A on Ruby Baby the loud sigh in the beginning is missing from the M/C but is on the 2ch mix.

Guys, the DTS CD cover is a fake one. The picture is flipped (from the DVD-A), but the text is also different. The Steely Dan isn't in Century Gothic (or one of those) it's in a much smaller and simpler font. The Gaucho is a totally different font as well. The reason I say this is because I have seen the real one, and it is supposed to be flipped (for some reason) but the real text is true to the CD/LP.

Anyway back to the poll, I have heard the DTS and didn't like the use of the rear channels as well. But I did notice (bobou2) that some parts where you would usually make drums noises with your mouth in celebration or hum along to a synth part you became discouraged, because either is wasn't too prominent or it wasn't there at all. However, this did not affect my feelings for it. I love how the girls' vocals on Glamour Profession are in the rear, but also they have one girl singing an octave above the original range. I wonder if that is on the stereo and we just can't hear it. This also may just be me, but with the DVD-A, I didn't like how the horn placement was a little predictable. Is that a common placement (in the rear) for instruments other than the rhythm section? But what amazes me every time, which adds the unpredictability to the album, is the guitar solo in Glamour, when it starts in the rear, than pans to the center when the piano solo comes in. Awesome stuff!

The first issue of the DTS CD in the CD-size case also has the artwork backwards. Regarding differences in fonts, that doesn't necessarily make it counterfeit. Many Quad & surround releases have used different type sizes, fonts and cropped artwork.

dts10141l.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of the DTS CD? It seems like (at least on Amazon), the DTS is in the shape of a DVD-A case or just plain DVD case. I think that someone tried to remake the cover for the selling of it, and they used fonts similar to the ones on the physical product. I may be wrong, but I have seen this happen to other things as well. This doesn't mean that the product is counterfeit, it may just mean the seller didn't want to take a picture of it, and wanted to recreate it I guess.

Original issue in CD-size case:
140.jpg

Sealed copy: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/pict/2007771285994040_1.jpg' border='0'

Does anyone have a picture of the DTS CD? It seems like (at least on Amazon), the DTS is in the shape of a DVD-A case or just plain DVD case. I think that someone tried to remake the cover for the selling of it, and they used fonts similar to the ones on the physical product. I may be wrong, but I have seen this happen to other things as well. This doesn't mean that the product is counterfeit, it may just mean the seller didn't want to take a picture of it, and wanted to recreate it I guess.

Thanks Linda, Those covers are the ones. Steely Dan - "Groucho" hmmm, it has a ring to it. :)

when Miller Nevada first released their DTS CDs they came in regular CD jewel cases, as shown in Linda's pic.

once the DVDA sized Super Jewel Box came along, certain DTS CDs got repackaged and their artwork altered to fit into the new DVDA-sized/shaped cases.

both versions are legit.

I have the SACD and the DTS CD and I prefer the mix on the SACD. Much more aggressive use of the surrounds. The fidelity on the DTS CD (and all the DTS CDs that I own for that matter) is fabulous, but the SACD takes it to another level.

Back