Genesis albums to be released on blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've have all the SACD discs by EJ for many moons now and they are some of my favorites especially Capt Fantastic. I am now sure what all the the discussion about compression is I just go with what my ears tell me and they say they sound great. I really enjoy surround sound makes no difference if it is SACD, DVD-A, DVD-v or bluray I am just glad they are still being produced and always look forward to what is around the corner.

To be honest I do not care what the wave is or any chart says if it sound good to me that is all I am concerned about. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on here, but sometimes the over technical analysis gets in the way of why we are here, Bottom line for me if it sounds good buy it if it sucks don't.

I realize that the band may have sold more than ever in that 80's post-PG era but I'd venture a guess and say that the majority of interest in any hi-red blu-ray audio will be for the earlier stuff, especially here in North America where the 70-75 box was not SACD.

Personally, I don't totally dismiss anything post-PG but after Wind & Withering (a decent album, the last one imho) I've no interest whatsoever.

I have all of the Genesis SACD box sets. Still, if they release Seconds Out on BluRay, I will definitely buy again.

I have all of the Genesis SACD box sets. Still, if they release Seconds Out on BluRay, I will definitely buy again.

I agree with you my friend. I bought the English boxes so I have SACDs for all(the live box was DTS only...)

I love all the 5.1 studio albums, but Seconds Out sounds like a 2.0 upmix:mad:@:. It seems to have no discrete nature to it. It sounds like the same stuff in the back as in the fronts.

Does anybody know the story on the Second's Out mix in the live box set? Was it in fact mixed from the multi-track live tape?

Though I doubt Universal will pay to have it remixed. But it would be a joke to put the DTS on a BluRay. :mad:@: :mad:@:

Last edited:
It would not be DTS 96/24 on Blu Ray when Nick Davis did them all the same way on a DSD workstation. It just happens that by the time the Live box was issued, the label no longer had the testicular fortitude to issue them as SACD anywhere. What is unclear so far as I know is if we're going from DSD to PCM or what. Anybody chime in if you know.

From QQ deep space

I agree with you my friend. I bought the English boxes so I have SACDs for all(the live box was DTS only...)

I love all the 5.1 studio albums, but Seconds Out sounds like a 2.0 upmix:mad:@:. It seems to have no discrete nature to it. It sounds like the same stuff in the back as in the fronts.

Does anybody know the story on the Second's Out mix in the live box set? Was it in fact mixed from the multi-track live tape?

Though I doubt Universal will pay to have it remixed. But it would be a joke to put the DTS on a BluRay. :mad:@: :mad:@:

Hmmm. I think that SO was a good mix (except for having freakin' Tony "Blanks" mixing the hell out of Steve Hackett's gtr in songs like "I know what I like", and them leavin' out phil introducing "Supper's ready")..not extremely discrete, but quite good nevertheless

If Nick mixed it all to DSD , having it in HiDef is a totally mute point cause in 99% of the SACDs, there is NO INFO above 20-22K...as Neil pointed out, if it's resampled, it may benfit some , but you might as well be the same with a DTS-CD version of it...

Moot not mute.

From QQ deep space

@TimTim:

Thanks for all your help on the forum :sun But, please go easy on the Captain. His English writing is pretty phookin great considering his native tongue is a different language. (y)

@KapN: You really think Seconds Out mix sounds discrete? Can you point me to a song where an individual instrument is in the back left or right channel? Maybe I have this wrong, but SO sounds like all those phoney 2.0 upmixes we get over the years of classic recordings...

@TimTim:

Thanks for all your help on the forum :sun But, please go easy on the Captain. His English writing is pretty phookin great considering his native tongue is a different language. (y)

@KapN: You really think Seconds Out mix sounds discrete? Can you point me to a song where an individual instrument is in the back left or right channel? Maybe I have this wrong, but SO sounds like all those phoney 2.0 upmixes we get over the years of classic recordings...

Let me play it and I'll take notes...
Thanks...yes, I know it's a "MOOT point" but somehow my brain went "mute" ;)

So do we have any objective evidence at all that the BluRay Genesis masterings are different from the old SACD /DTS?

I have analyzed the SEBTP Blu-Ray, and it is the exact same master as the SACD, just converted to PCM, ultrasonic noise included.

Which means: PCM 48kHz/24bit mix > DSD conversion & mastering > PCM re-conversion to 96kHz/24bit for the Blu-Ray. :rolleyes:

They should have gone back to the PCM mix, but I guess the mastering only exists in DSD.

Any difference you may hear comes from the conversion or how your player treats DSD vs. PCM.

@TimTim:

Well blow me down! You're right...the AUDIENCE is very discrete in the rears... No main instruments are in the rears discretely...just for the odd floor tom (lowest tone) and some crash cymbal from Chester's kit...
Steve's gtr ""synth like" swells in IKWIL are mostly in the rears..but you are right...oh well, fair enough...It's still a nice bubble!!!

Well blow me down! You're right...the AUDIENCE is very discrete in the rears... No main instruments are in the rears discretely...just for the odd floor tom (lowest tone) and some crash cymbal from Chester's kit...
Steve's gtr ""synth like" swells in IKWIL are mostly in the rears..but you are right...oh well, fair enough...It's still a nice bubble!!!

Yeah man, Genesis made it clear all mixes were from the original multi-track tapes...except that they couldn't locate the multi-track tape for only one song on ATTWT. I don't think they were talking about the live stuff though. Seconds Out sounds pretty clearly like a 2.0 upmix. :mad: :mad: :mad:

SO was one of the great live recordings in prog history. It would be much nicer to get a mix from the multi-track with some dicrete mixing magic. :smokin

How are things in Spain? Two weeks there is not enough. ;)

Genesis_-_Drum_Duet.JPG

Later day pic but I vividly remember being absolutely blown away the first time I saw these guys go at it. Oh man...:smokin

View attachment 14813

Later day pic but I vividly remember being absolutely blown away the first time I saw these guys go at it. Oh man...:smokin

Oh man! I wanted to go to one of those 2007 shows SO BAD! That's what sucked about living near New Orleans. The closest Genesis show that year was in Chicago...
Oh well...At least I went to a Police show. :)

I'd be happy if the 2007 concert disc was released in HD as promised. The promotional material referenced HD-DVD is how long ago this was! There is a Blu Ray on eBay from Russia and that seems pretty suspect as to source material.

Since the 2007 tour and box sets were released, inertia has set in (returned?) at The Farm.

Back