Genesis albums to be released on blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm I don't think it's an upmix because the audience sounds like the REAL one and it's VERY discrete!!!
Separating the audience would be an almost impossible task....

I'd be happy if the 2007 concert disc was released in HD as promised. The promotional material referenced HD-DVD is how long ago this was! There is a Blu Ray on eBay from Russia and that seems pretty suspect as to source material.

Since the 2007 tour and box sets were released, inertia has set in (returned?) at The Farm.

Right around the time of the "When in Rome" DVD release, my family got our first Blu-Ray player in the form of a PS3 (wasn't SACD compatible though...) and I was SO disappointed that it wasn't released on Blu-Ray (not to mention the fact that it was only available at Wal-Mart...gross...)
This Russian Blu-Ray is probably either up sampled DVD or the 1hr Palladia HD broadcast. No doubt though that a legit Blu-Ray would look and sound stunning.
There is a little bit of activity on the Genesis front as they are working with the BBC on an official documentary on the band with brand new interviews with all 5 main members (including interviews with all 5 of them together!). It is supposed to be released on DVD & Blu-Ray later this year.
Plus looks like there will be some more HFPA releases too.
We can only hope for more live work...

Yeah man, Genesis made it clear all mixes were from the original multi-track tapes...except that they couldn't locate the multi-track tape for only one song on ATTWT. I don't think they were talking about the live stuff though. Seconds Out sounds pretty clearly like a 2.0 upmix. :mad: :mad: :mad:

SO was one of the great live recordings in prog history. It would be much nicer to get a mix from the multi-track with some dicrete mixing magic. :smokin

How are things in Spain? Two weeks there is not enough. ;)

Which one from ATTWT?

"Say It's Alright Joe"

If I may take a moment to celebrate our good fortune as 5.1 lovers. When I read that in the box sets I was overjoyed that out of all the songs, Say It's Alright Joe is probably the weakest tune from the Nursery Crime to Duke era.... To have everything else in 5.1 from multi track is very fortunate indeed. :smokin

If I may take a moment to celebrate our good fortune as 5.1 lovers. When I read that in the box sets I was overjoyed that out of all the songs, Say It's Alright Joe is probably the weakest tune from the Nursery Crime to Duke era.... To have everything else in 5.1 from multi track is very fortunate indeed. :smokin

"Snowbound" is the weakest on the album for me, but I also don't care for "Ballad of Big" or "Scenes from a Night's Dream". It's interesting to me that the weakest Genesis album (IMO, not counting "Calling All Stations") has the worst surround mix out of this whole reissue series.
But you are right DMJ that out of 14 albums worth of material, only one song could not be remixed. That is fantastic indeed! Counter that with XTC where EMI/Virgin/UMG (whatever) has only found around 20% of the XTC multitracks so far...

And perversely delivers their breakthrough to radio with Follow You Follow Me. There are a handful of epic moments and the rest is overwrought and undercooked. Mike Rutherford (bless him) and more reverb do not yield Steve Hackett impact. As compared to the nuances of ATOTT and W&W, ATTWT tends to clobber it harder to make us forget.

From QQ deep space

"Snowbound" is the weakest on the album for me, but I also don't care for "Ballad of Big" or "Scenes from a Night's Dream". It's interesting to me that the weakest Genesis album (IMO, not counting "Calling All Stations") has the worst surround mix out of this whole reissue series.
But you are right DMJ that out of 14 albums worth of material, only one song could not be remixed. That is fantastic indeed! Counter that with XTC where EMI/Virgin/UMG (whatever) has only found around 20% of the XTC multitracks so far...

Yes, i LOVE this Forum... i LOOOOVE Snowbound...I remember them playing it on the radio when it came out (yes , in PR!) and always had a soft spot for that song...not tah bad of a mix...but I have to (agree) say that Mike was NO substitution for Steve....Daryl was AWESOME onstage when he took on (and made them even better ) the bits from "In the Cage"...BTW, my first Daryl experience was Jean Luc Ponty's "Enigmatic Ocean", I think his best ever.....
Sorry for the hijacking....
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming!!!

(BTWE I LOOOVE Calling All Stations....it's a matter of expectations...it's a great album -a BIT too long , but still...a DIFFERENT Genesis...and I think it's a very good mix...to each their own!)

I agree I really like "Calling All Stations" but a very different Genesis. My favourite album is "Nursery Crime" I can play it anytime and still find it fantastic.

They'll be direct ports of the SACD titles, so they'll sound exactly the same.

I actually quite like the Genesis SACDs, but their workflow for making these was just stupid from an audio purity point of view. It went something like this:

Original analog multitracks -> digitized at 192kHz/24bit PCM -> mixed in ProTools at 192/24 -> 5.1 mix outputted to DSD workstation for SACDs -> converted back to PCM for the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks on the DVD-Vs (and now BluRays)

(Source interview here)

So what you're listening to is something that went analog->PCM->DSD->PCM->your ears. You can argue the relative merits of DSD vs. PCM until the cows come home, but when something is a bit of both, no one wins and I think everyone would agree on that. To me that's inexcusable, effectively you're listening to a 3rd generation digital dub simply because a multi-billion dollar company couldn't design a simple digital workflow or do any type of forward thinking asset management.

I actually quite like the Genesis SACDs, but their workflow for making these was just stupid from an audio purity point of view. It went something like this:

Original analog multitracks -> digitized at 192kHz/24bit PCM -> mixed in ProTools at 192/24 -> 5.1 mix outputted to DSD workstation for SACDs -> converted back to PCM for the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks on the DVD-Vs (and now BluRays)

(Source interview here)

So what you're listening to is something that went analog->PCM->DSD->PCM->your ears. You can argue the relative merits of DSD vs. PCM until the cows come home, but when something is a bit of both, no one wins and I think everyone would agree on that. To me that's inexcusable, effectively you're listening to a 3rd generation digital dub simply because a multi-billion dollar company couldn't design a simple digital workflow or do any type of forward thinking asset management.

Weirdly, all the Genesis SACDs exhibit a 24kHz cut-off when analyzed in a spectrogram, indicating a 48kHz PCM sampling rate. That was then converted to DSD for mastering, and on...

Oh man! I wanted to go to one of those 2007 shows SO BAD! That's what sucked about living near New Orleans. The closest Genesis show that year was in Chicago...
Oh well...At least I went to a Police show. :)

No excuse! ;) I flew in from Australia to see 4 shows in 9 days in the U.S. and Canada.

Back on topic, I'll buy these 'cos thats what I do, as sad as it is! Plus then I can leave my CD/DVD sets in their Hackett-autographed boxes. I suppose my avatar photo is a complete fan-boy giveaway. :cool:

To me 'Duke' is so bright it's almost unlistenable, and 'A Trick of the Tail' needs a SW do-over. Nick Davis unfortunately isn't the most adventurous remixer, though they definitely got better as they went...which may have something to do with Gabriel's vetting of the 70-75 mixes before they went out.

(Source interview here)

I like SEBTP but Lamb sounds terrible. Really loud and harsh.

The Lamb DVD 5.1 had such potential with the slideshows the overlaid from photos and the actual three screens they used. But they near ruined it by deciding to leave the name of the song on the screen for each song on the entire album. Very distracting and unnecessary for how much work they put into assemble the visuals.

Back