Genesis albums to be released on blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree, if it was shot in 4:3 it should stay that way. My comment was more one of perspective as I remember when widescreen tv's were first coming out I remember people commenting at tv stores,"Wow thats wierd" and remember people would make comments as to isn't that giving you less screen image or other stuff like that. So does that mean the following 16mm film , "Supertramp Live in Paris 79' was altered, I don't mind the look of it and found it to be very enjoyable.

Reminds me of the good old days - some 12-15 years ago - when Americans referenced a 4:3 aspect as FULL SCREEN. Made me cringe when watching my widescreen with black panels to the left and right... Guess you don't call 4.3 full screen any more, do you?

16:9 standard definition broadcasting never happened in the US like it did in the UK and the rest of Europe, and there were very few widescreen SD TVs sold in north America. Most of them were 4x3 TVs that could do the 16x9 anamorphic squeeze to gain the extra resolution for DVD playback - 16x9 anamorphic was never a broadcast format in the US or Canada.

I think you might have misunderstood 4x3 being called 'full screen' - the actual term is '4x3 full-screen' which differentiates it from '4x3 letterbox' which is a widescreen image with black bars top and bottom inside a 4x3 frame. This is/was necessary to be able to describe the difference between those two things and anamorphic widescreen. These terms were used pretty uniformly in companies that I worked for in both Canada and the UK so I assume it's a pretty standard terminology worldwide.

being so late to the surrounded party...i have none of them. will have to wait this one out to find out what the best route will be....

Thanks to Plan9, we know the original session work was done in DSD(SACD) so the UK box would be definitive(most faithful to the source remixing session)

However the UK box(only set with SACD) is out of print and now we have this insanity for $450.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genesis-197...131278312822?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item1e90cc1576

Like Perp said you can still get the USA box for regular price but of course it only has DTS for 5.1 so..... the logical choice is to wait and get the PureDirect BluRays.
Methinks DSD to DTS-MA is much better than DSD to DTS(like the USA box).

But the PureDirect BluRys don't have the nifty little box and cute pictures of Phil Collins in an NHL hockey sweater.

Either way, you MUST hear these 5.1 remixes, you will love them! (y)

Thanks to Plan9, we know the original session work was done in DSD(SACD) so the UK box would be definitive(most faithful to the source remixing session)

However the UK box(only set with SACD) is out of print and now we have this insanity for $450.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genesis-197...131278312822?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item1e90cc1576

Like Perp said you can still get the USA box for regular price but of course it only has DTS for 5.1 so..... the logical choice is to wait and get the PureDirect BluRays.
Methinks DSD to DTS-MA is much better than DSD to DTS(like the USA box).

But the PureDirect BluRys don't have the nifty little box and cute pictures of Phil Collins in an NHL hockey sweater.

Either way, you MUST hear these 5.1 remixes, you will love them! (y)

sorry Phil...i can live happily without seeing your photos! me thinks i can wait it out for the BDA! thanks Dennis...

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/6081/

A new Genesis Blu-Ray is available to preorder!
"Sum of the Parts" features the new 2014 documentary.

Can't wait to check it out! :)

I saw this on TV on Saturday on the BBC in England. I definitely won't be buying this documentary blu ray. It was a programme I think that was made for casual Genesis listeners and made by casual Genesis listeners! There were a couple of interesting rare live clips early on, from the Anthony Phillips days, but apart from these there was nothing new, in terms of clips or information.

Much was made of this documentary including an interview with all 5 of them in the same room at the same time. Unfortunately very little of this interview was in the programme, and much of what they showed from this seemed a little frosty. I can't see a proper musical reunion happening any time soon after this, after seeing their body language here. Tony Banks in particular didn't come across too well. He seemed a bit of a control freak, who still resented Gabriel for leaving. At one point he called Steve Hackett's playing stiff! Steve Hackett didn't get much of a look in at all. He was disappointingly out of shot in most of the group interview scenes. In the part of the programme that went into the members' solo careers, Steve Hackett's (which is the largest, and in my opinion, best of them all) wasn't even mentioned!!

It also wasn't particularly complete - Wind and Wuthering wasn't mentioned, it talked for a while about Collins auditioning and joining, yet concerning Hackett joining at the same time is was kind of like "after Collins joined we also got a new guitarist full stop". The one off Milton Keynes reunion in 1982 wasn't mentioned, nor was the Calling All Stations era.

I know that the blu ray contains another 30 minutes of additional footage, and I appreciate that it is possibly down to the editors how this programme turned out, but I was very disappointed having seen this.

Steve Hackett didn't get much of a look in at all. He was disappointingly out of shot in most of the group interview scenes. In the part of the programme that went into the members' solo careers, Steve Hackett's (which is the largest, and in my opinion, best of them all) wasn't even mentioned!!

It also wasn't particularly complete - Wind and Wuthering wasn't mentioned, it talked for a while about Collins auditioning and joining, yet concerning Hackett joining at the same time is was kind of like "after Collins joined we also got a new guitarist full stop". The one off Milton Keynes reunion in 1982 wasn't mentioned, nor was the Calling All Stations era.

I know that the blu ray contains another 30 minutes of additional footage, and I appreciate that it is possibly down to the editors how this programme turned out, but I was very disappointed having seen this.

This seems to be the general feeling from Genesis fans worldwide after watching the documentary...particularly Steve Hackett, who posted the following on his Facebook page this morning...

My thanks for all the messages of support which I really appreciate regarding the problem with the BBC Genesis documentary.

It's certainly a biased account of Genesis history and totally ignores my solo work. It does not deliver the theme of "Together and Apart". In interview I spoke at length as much about my solo career as my time in Genesis, but was not given any editorial involvement.

Whilst the documentary's sister project, the R-KIVE box set represents us all equally, the documentary does the opposite. I know the documentary will soon be on sale via various outlets, but I won't be selling this via my own website.

On a positive note, I've just finished my new album due out early next year, and I look forward to seeing everyone again on the upcoming leg of the Genesis Extended tour.

Warmest wishes,

Steve

I'm in Australia, and haven't seen the show yet, but it seems the failure to capitalise on having the 5 members finally interviewed in the same room is a major disappointment. I'll buy the Blu-ray, cos I'm a longtime collector with a ridiculous need for completeness, but after the savage reviews from so many within the Genesis community, I'm not looking forward to it. I'm not even that much of a fan of Steve's solo career, but of all of them he's the only one that is truly flying the flag for the band in a live setting with the Revisited albums and tours, and deserves better.

I'm not even that much of a fan of Steve's solo career, but of all of them he's the only one that is truly flying the flag for the band in a live setting with the Revisited albums and tours, and deserves better.

Agreed. In this documentary, whilst discussing Selling England By The Pound, they actually showed Daryl Sturmer playing the guitar solo from Firth of Fifth, rather than finding a clip of Steve Hackett playing it. Unbelievable!

Raw deal for Steve Hackett on the documentary; particularly since Steve is flying the Genesis flag higher than any of the others. Saw his tour in January and the legacy of the band survives in his gifted hands

From QQ deep space

Raw deal for Steve Hackett on the documentary; particularly since Steve is flying the Genesis flag higher than any of the others. Saw his tour in January and the legacy of the band survives in his gifted hands

From QQ deep space

Maybe that's the problem. I thought about it earlier but could some of the others (particularly Tony, and maybe Mike) resent Steve's Genesis Revisited Albums and Tours in any way?
But even besides that, let's the face the facts. Steve has basically ALWAYS been an outsider in Genesis. Peter, Tony, and Mike were all good friends from their Charterhouse school days, and even though Phil wasn't a part of that clic, he clearly developed a very strong bond with Tony and Mike that is still present to this day, even when they are not working as Genesis.
Steve has always been the oddball out, and that will probably never change. Shame, but it's true...

Didn't see the documentary. Probably never will, based on what I'm reading here. The treatment of Mr. Hackett reminds me of the way Ray Wilson was portrayed in the booklet from the '83-'98 box set. The liner notes in the bonus disc were out of line, in my opinion. Rutherford and Banks selected the guy. Then, they disrespect him so publicly? Got the feeling back then that they were a couple of douche-bags.

Last edited:
http://store.universalmusic.com/udiscover/*/Blu-Ray-Audio/Nursery-Cryme-Blu-Ray-Audio/3H8P03SW000

Genesis-Nursery-Cryme-Blu-Ray-Audio.jpg

Anybody know if this has actually been released or not?
This is the only new Genesis Blu-Ray Audio disc I could find on the Universal store, but once again, no official word about this release from HFPA or Genesis.
Just goes to show you how much of a joke HFPA really has been.
Yes, there have been a bunch of good releases this year (the most stellar of all being the Tears for Fears disc), but how on earth are we expected to help this format grow if they don't even tell us what's out there for us to purchase?! Geez...

http://store.universalmusic.com/udiscover/*/Blu-Ray-Audio/Nursery-Cryme-Blu-Ray-Audio/3H8P03SW000

View attachment 16438

Anybody know if this has actually been released or not?
This is the only new Genesis Blu-Ray Audio disc I could find on the Universal store, but once again, no official word about this release from HFPA or Genesis.
Just goes to show you how much of a joke HFPA really has been.
Yes, there have been a bunch of good releases this year (the most stellar of all being the Tears for Fears disc), but how on earth are we expected to help this format grow if they don't even tell us what's out there for us to purchase?! Geez...

I've not seen this advertised anywhere else, not even on the Universal HFPA website. Their FB page makes no mention either, but then that page barely mentions anything that they do!

On the Genesis site it had the scheduled release of NC on Sept 29...interesting that the release is for Europe only...no US or Japan on the schedule...scroll down to the bottom of THIS PAGE the delay could be from EMI/Virgin records...I'm not expecting much in the sound quality dept..but I certainly will buy if they get some favorable reviews..

If anybody was hoping for more Steve Hackett in the bonus material on the new Genesis "Sum of the Parts" Blu-Ray, well…

Bonus Interviews (1080i; 27:46) include:
Phil Collins on Costumes
Phil Collins on the Future
Mike Rutherford on America and "The Lamb"
Mike Rutherford on the Double Neck Guitar
Mike Rutherford on Phil the Writer
Tony Banks on the Loss of Anthony Phillips
Tony Banks on Peter and Phil
Tony Banks on His Classical Work
Peter Gabriel on His Teenage Years

The last time I visited this thread there were no real sightings of these Genesis Blu Ray audio discs...more questions about the quality of the product than answers about distribution and availability...I got Selling England By The Pound Pure Audio Disc and it's pretty good..much better than the overly bright Genesis SACD's...but I don't want to go down that road again...what I did notice on importcds is Genesis blu ray audios with release dates in 2014 but never reached importcds and are in BACKORDER status...the interesting thing is the origin is HONG KONG here

The last time I visited this thread there were no real sightings of these Genesis Blu Ray audio discs...more questions about the quality of the product than answers about distribution and availability...I got Selling England By The Pound Pure Audio Disc and it's pretty good..much better than the overly bright Genesis SACD's...but I don't want to go down that road again...what I did notice on importcds is Genesis blu ray audios with release dates in 2014 but never reached importcds and are in BACKORDER status...the interesting thing is the origin is HONG KONG here

If they are going to release other Genesis Blu-Ray Audio titles (which they haven't so far, "Selling England…" being the only release), they should put in a little extra effort and include the relevant bonus tracks from each album on any future Blu-Ray Audio releases.
But something tells me that even if more Genesis Blu-Ray Audio titles are released, all we will get is the album in high-res stereo and surround.
Nothing else, which is a shame cause not only are the bonus tracks great, but the bonus video materials from the SACD/DVD-V releases are stellar too.
That's why the SACD versions with DVD-V are the top versions for me unless Universal step up their game!

If they are going to release other Genesis Blu-Ray Audio titles (which they haven't so far, "Selling England…" being the only release), they should put in a little extra effort and include the relevant bonus tracks from each album on any future Blu-Ray Audio releases.
But something tells me that even if more Genesis Blu-Ray Audio titles are released, all we will get is the album in high-res stereo and surround.
Nothing else, which is a shame cause not only are the bonus tracks great, but the bonus video materials from the SACD/DVD-V releases are stellar too.
That's why the SACD versions with DVD-V are the top versions for me unless Universal step up their game!

I'd just be happy with something that actually SOUNDS like a high rez disc..I don't care about extras...chewing gum..photos..videos...just give me sound that is WORTHY of a hi rez disc...and the SACD's didn't do that...as much as I love that music I can't rationalize enough to foster the illusion that those discs sound acceptable..because they don't...I don't care if they are bare bones and come in a plain brown wrapper and costs $40 apiece...just give me quality music...that's all I can say on the matter..

Back