George Harrison catalog on Apple Music in Atmos!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's why I said "pretty much." Cuz three songs missing but like 11 albums worth of songs (what? over 100 songs?) is pretty much everything. Don't get me wrong, I want those three songs from Best of Dark Horse something fierce. Cheer Down is Top 5 Harrison solo songs of all time for me.

The article says the ‘Let it roll’ compilation is part of the deal, which also included the excellent ‘Cheer down’

Regarding the George Harrison Apple Atmos releases.
I had one of those rare listening experiences last night. I was sleepy from a hard weeks work, had a good meal, no alcohol or drugs, sat back, turned off lights, no computer, closed eyes and listened, except occasionally reading the onscreen lyrics.
Started with Brainwashed (No Prior Experience), what a fantastic release. The Atmos surround was perfect, a sublime album mixed in a sublime Atmos experience, one of the best I have ever heard.
I looked up later on Wiki, Brainwashed released 2002 after George's death.
Maybe, the best Atmos song I have ever heard was "Marwa Blues". I have never heard anyone come close to the sound of Jeff Beck, but Marwa Blues was jaw dropping for me, George and his slide technique was absolutely beautiful. Yes, he is the only person that I know of that was able to have a Jeff Beck feel to his song, or maybe it's vice versa.
Wouldn't you know it, upon looking up Brainwashed after the listen on Wiki, Marwa Blues won 2004 Grammy Best Pop Instrumental, well of course.
In Atmos, the twinkling of bells in the heights, the layer of surrounding envelope, fit me like a glove.
I always have thought of myself as a big George Harrison fan, but honestly at the time of there release, I only have bought two, All Things Must Pass and Cloud Nine.
This Apple Atmos release of George's 11 albums is the best I have ever experienced. I have not finished listening to all, but from a sonic deliverance and a Atmos experience every one is perfect. There are ones that I will prefer based on content but certainly not based on Atmos experience.
I hope Dhani and Olivia release some kind of physical format (or the label that own's the music) for purchase in Atmos, stand alone, box set, downloads, anything, so I can hear really full versions.
So far I have completed Wonderwall, Electronic Sound, All Things Must Pass (Physical Release), Dark Horse, and Brainwashed, all fantastic Atmos.
I hope you get to experience these 11 Harrison albums in Atmos as I am looking forward to finishing all in there entirety.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 09.34.04.png

I am very happy to have this catalog in surround, but does anyone know (or have a sense) about whether this streaming release points to no physical release?

Have we seen a single one of these releases that drops an entire catalog in Atmos turn into physical releases? I can't think of one...

Oop's I have been commenting in the streaming thread for George Harrison, now back to this thread.

Listening now to George Harrison-Gone Troppo.
Good for George, obviously a fun vacation album. George can be dark at times, but this is fun and Atmos is as good as the other Harrison's I have listened to.
EDIT: Cool, last track, Mystical One (Demo) starts off with George and Olivia talking, he calls her Liv.

Listening now to George Harrison-Somewhere In England.
The Dolby Atmos mix continues to stay with the same style of mix as the others, I love them all so far.
Still have 3 to go.

I am very happy to have this catalog in surround, but does anyone know (or have a sense) about whether this streaming release points to no physical release?
Very little gets a physical release these days. And there are no signs otherwise for these. Plus outside of ATMP (and maybe Cloud Nine?), his studio catalog are not big sellers - and ATMP has already been done.

So I'd say it's unlikely there will be a physical release of these studio album atmos mixes.

I have sampled several of the albums and I'm not hearing anything coming out of the center channel and the rears seem to be louder than the fronts. Is anyone else hearing this?

I have sampled several of the albums and I'm not hearing anything coming out of the center channel and the rears seem to be louder than the fronts. Is anyone else hearing this?
I saw your post yesterday and wanted to comment as I do understand your question.
I still have two to go before I listen to all of the Harrison Atmos release's.
All my amp's have meters, so it is easy for me to see and judge signals when my ears get fooled sometimes.
These Harrison Atmos release's have at best a very weak center signal, most of the time just touching the center, probably inaudible. I can turn off my front stereo and my 3 channel amp, but when I turn off the 3 channel amp, I lose the rears and the center, just not important enough to me to crawl behind and pull wires.
That said, I find the mix on all very balanced and I do not have the experience of louder rears. Sometimes when I do experience I turn up or turn down individual speakers. Can you do that with your system?
In my almost 10 years of listening to surround, there are so many recordings that need a tweak here or there.

Your question actually brought a question to myself and I'm going to ask the help of @sjcorne as he is real smart.
It seems to me on Dolby Atmos streaming (Apple) that it is about 50/50 for center channel use, equal to the other speakers.
@sjcorne is this your experience also, a mixing technique between different mixers, or more of a streaming technique?

It seems to me on Dolby Atmos streaming (Apple) that it is about 50/50 for center channel use, equal to the other speakers.
@sjcorne is this your experience also, a mixing technique between different mixers, or more of a streaming technique?
You're not wrong, more often than not it seems a lot of these newer Atmos mixes make little use of the center speaker. I suspect it has something to do with the way center-isolated content translates to binaural, which is how most listeners experience these mixes.

Back